Putting a new metal roof on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
Ok we are putting a metal roof on this place and DH has left the color choice to me. :DOH!

The house is a brick cream color with dark brown trim and dark brown roof-yuck-to dark. What color would go good with the cream? We can and will probably change the trim. Any ideas? Our neighbor way back has a dark green on his and it looks pretty nice. Help I need to make a choice soon!

I would love a dark green roof with red trim....that's actually what we have on our house except we have a shingled roof and all the trim hasn't been painted yet. We have log siding on our house. Still a work in progress.
default_wacko.png

I see you live in Tx. If its anythng like Fl. You want to go lighter to help reflict the heat. Kathy

We are looking at colors at the moment too. Hoping to put it off a year or two if we can.

We live in a log cabin with a dark brown roof and first thought of red or green as they both look so nice. But the other day I was driving down the road and noticed how nice it blends in with our trees and now I am back to thinking dark brown.

I would think on a cream color house that a light brown would be nice...a little darker than the house color.

If we go light what about dirt and leaves and stuff, does it stand out and look really bad?

I think a dark grey (maybe almost black) roof would look the best. It would go with any color you paint the barn even if you want to change the barn color a few years from now. It could get too hot in the summer if it is not shaded by trees though.

Shelia B.

I love those dark green metal roofs...it would go good with cream, but not so sure with the dark brown trim. I would love to have a metal roof...we are planning on a new roof in 2009, I'm going to look into the metal kind.

We have a dark green metal roof, dark green trim and a creme colored house.
default_yes.gif

To me, the most attractive metal roofs are the copper-toned ones that appear to sparkle in the sunlight. They reflect the light and appear to change colors depending on the angle of the sun. I've noticed this new roofing protecting old as well as contemporary farmhouses surrounded by crops, sitting atop churches, strip malls, and business parks flanked by blacktop, and crowning vacation homes camouflaged and shaded by trees. All very inviting! The copper would go well with creamy shades, too.

Pam

Nicole you by chance dont have a pic of your house laying around, I would love to see it. I did see the copper one in a magazine, I just wish I could see these on houses. Once its up I'm kind of stuck with it.
default_biggrin.png

I'll try to get a pic. for you in a couple days... no problem.
default_yes.gif
The roof is only a few years old, but the home is about 100 years old. I can also get a picture of a neighbor's home pained and roofed the same, except the home is newer and nicer.

Be carefull of reds or blues, they seem to fade REALLY badly. Make sure you check out the color warranty as well as the metal warranty. We have a tan house so I went with forrest green for my horse barn with a plain metal roof. I think if you have a brown house, then a darker brown with that hint of red would be nice, or even the green. Course, since the choice is yours you can always go with copper
default_rolleyes.gif
imagine the color it would tarnish too ohhhh pretttttyyyy!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the color warranty. Will check into that.

I look forward to the pics, it may help me make a decision.

I have a white house with a barn red roof, I love it. I pass by a house everyday, it is cream with a barn red metal roof, and it looks awesome!!!!

For an idea of how colors look, check out BCI Barns website, you can choose a barn/roof color. It may give you an idea on color chioces. Let us know what you decide.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly for that website, I am going to check it out and see if it helps me in making a decision.

Ok I was leaning towards the barn red, but now that I went and played on BCI's website the blue looks pretty cool too!

This is going to be harder than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
A blue roof?????? I think I like it!!!! I have never seen a blue roof. I love to see people do things out of the norm, because I am also one of those people. Which shade of blue are you thinking????

Boy, the more I think about it, the more I love it!!!!! GO FOR IT!!! It will make your house stand out.

Kelly

I was playing around with deep river blue or deep blue, still working on it .

Back