Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be switching my minis to this new Purina mini feed next month. I also tried the Farnam Platform mini feed. Did not like it. My horses lost their shiny coats, energy and started noticing impactions. Too much fiber?

I feed my mare 1.5 lbs grass hay 2x a day. Millenium Gold 1 scoop.

My gelding gets 1 lb grass hay with 1/2 lb grass hay pellets with scoop of Millenium Gold 2x day.

they look healthy. Not as shiny as I want them to be so am excited to see uf this new feed gives them a shinier coat.....
The Platform feed is about as bad as the Purina Mini feed as far as I am concerned. I started using the Platform feed when it first came out, my horses did great on it, probably better then they've ever been. Then the next year came around and I noticed on my one he had a extremely dull coat, it looked sunburnt but this just didn't seem like your regular sunbleached coat. It felt really dry. He was real mopey and his attitude was declining. Took him to the vet and he was anemic. Didn't think it had to do with the grain but I took him off of it and you could see a difference right away.

The Purina feed same thing only the results declined quicker. He was on it for 4 months, but it seemed like he started to decline at the National show or just before. I put him on it in early June and in July he was looking great, the weight was coming off he was looking shiny, in August he was doing great but at Nationals he had a dull coat, his attitude was bad and I had to feed him a lot just to keep weight on. When we came home from Nationals soon after he stopped eating the mini feed, but ate hay just fine. All signs pointed to Ulcers but he did not have ulcers. Took him off the mini feed to PrimeGLO and he has been doing great on it all year and what a difference.

We have been feeding it for over a year to all our minis and they are doing fine. We were feeding Strategy and still feed that to our big horses although they are getting no grain at all now having been on pasture all summer and still picking although the three of them are eating about seventy pounds of hay a day. we also have twenty goats and try to keep our feed program as simple as possible, we make our own hay so feed as much of that as they want. We feed the minis based on how they look so the easy keepers may only get a cup a day and the thinner types two or more but most of ours are easy keepers.

I wanted to add my 2 bits as well! I worked at TSC when the platform mini feed came out and we had lots of negative results. I at the time was feeding a custom mix of my own to my minis and my qh. The closest thing I had found to be close was the omolene 200. Coats were shedding out nicely and I had some nice shiney under coats to follow.

I moved and there isnt a TSC or a feed mill who can mix what i'd like. So, I switched to Strategy Special care as its low in startch and sugar. I feed my new boy 3/4 of a cup 2x a day as hes about 310lbs..( if i am not mixing his weight with someone else) In doing this, it has lowered some fat tummies and cresty necks. I so far like it but I've noticed my other stallion who is 12 is getting a cresty fat neck too. I am not sure if its due to the grain to the fact we put healthy coat in it. We mix a 2/1 ratio. 1 being oats and mix healthy coat. I love the HC as its added LOTS of shine and nice soft smooth coats.

I dont see myself switching to the mini formula as 1 my bf is a nutrena dealer and I get great deals and 2. this seems to be working so far (as we just switched a few weeks ago) I'd love to continue to see everyone opinions on it though.

Started my minis today on the gradule change to the Purina miniature horse feed. They dropped the price from 22.00 to 17.20

So far they love the taste. Pushed their grass hay pellets out of the way to get to these new pellets.

I really like the mini friendly sized pellets and it smells good :)

I will post again in 60 days and have a followup.

Good luck to anyone else with this trial feed.....

Well I have a problem: I switched my minis from Strategy to the Mini food because I thought Strategy was what was keeping them so fat. I was correct at first since they did loose weight in their crests first, the necks got awesome, and overall looked much nicer. NOW, for some reason, every last one of them is terribly fat, bursting at the seems. What the heck? Wonder if they changed the recipe? I don't get it. Their pasture time has not increased and its just nubs and they have the same hay which I reduced a lot due to this but still, they are over the top fat again. I need this like a hole in the head. With winter coming on I do plan to keep them warm with feeding ample hay but this is crazy.They are about to explode and so is my brain. And for the record, I paid $16.99 for it today and also although Enrich 32 is nice, there is no way I'm paying their insane amount for it. Thinking I might have to try Welsove or something else. grrrrrrrrrrr Do not like my horses that fat!

Marty, I noticed my guy got fat, too! He looked SUPER this spring and now he's a whale!! The others look OK, and I just put my pony on it as he always looks thin. Same pasture (weeds and nothing else) but he sure blimped up.

We are not having any obesity problem with our horses, In fact, after using Purina Miniature horse and Pony for well over a year, their weight, coat condition, and their reproduction is great !

We are very pleased with this product. Marty I am not sure how much you are feeding. You may have to feed less.

I even I had the Platform feed and it sucked ! I ended up using omolene 200 until I tried the Purina Miniature horse and Pony , I loved it my mini mare was her self agin .

Biggest problem with purena I have seen here... is bugs... bugs in the unopened bags. I was going to try the mini fed but took the bag back. Am also not the only person having this problem in this area.

Think I will stick with, Triple Crown Low starch.... think it is a better feed anyway.

I know I said 60 days till an update but Wow! I started my minis on this Purina mini feed Oct 24th. In 30 days they are doing great!

Super shiny coats, much happier and frisky. Just overall wonderful results. I am pleased and will keep them on this.

I feed 1/4 pound 2x a day per horse.

They lick there feed pans clean
default_smile.png

Thank you PURINA!

We are using it. Its not enough for my mare who is nursing a foal. The rest seem to do fine on it.

7 months on the Purina Miniature Horse feed. My horses are shiny and look wonderful!

Staying with this! Dropped tbe grass hay pellets. Just feeding grass hay and the Purina. Very cost effective compared to the other program I had them on. Very pleased highly recommended
default_smile.png

Where are you located?

7 months on the Purina Miniature Horse feed. My horses are shiny and look wonderful!

Staying with this! Dropped tbe grass hay pellets. Just feeding grass hay and the Purina. Very cost effective compared to the other program I had them on. Very pleased highly recommended
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back