Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I was curious has anyone started feeding the new Purina miniature horse and pony feed to their horses and how are they liking it?

I feed Strategy,and won three bags of The miniature horse feed a couple of weeks ago. I decided to feed it to a paddock with three fat little mares in it . They like it but it will take me a while to see if I want to switch. It costs less than Strategy . It is 13.5 percent protein compared to 14 percent. It also has less fat.

I feed Strategy to my quarter horses and have for years and LOVE it! I feed Purina Enrich 32 to the minis as it is like only a 1-2 cups of feed and they get all the nutrients in it. I too was wondering about the new miniature horse feed and what the benefit is versus Strategy and Enrich 32.

Purina only sell a few products for horses in Italy, they mainly sell dog and cat food. What a bummer
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been feeding it for about 3 months now. My horses look great and love the feed. I even have a couple that won't eat Omelene 200 anymore, they prefer the miniature feed. The cost is so much lower. I even have a horse here that was not in great shape when she arrived and now she looks really good, shiney coat, great weight. I was able to feed her more because of the low starch and sugar. I really like it and will continue with it. My feed store gave me a great price break that its even cheaper than what Tractor Supple sells it for.

I feed Purina Performance Elite 2 cups a day to my minis.

Is the Mini Feed better?

I have some new mini customers that would like to try this. minimomNC what is the average amount you feed a horse?

We just love it! I posted that pic of Tease as her coat shines so much you about have to wear sunglasses. All of the horses we put on it have coats like that now. We had a little trouble getting the yearlings to eat it but now they love it. I am really happy with it.

If anyone wants to try it go to the purina site and you can get coupons for trying the new feed (the 60 day challenge)

I have a couple tall horses that needed weight, a couple of shetlands, a stallion that needs weight due to pasture breeding and a mare with a foal. So mine are getting more than I would normally feed an A size mini. But my yearling 27" colt get 2 cups twice a day. I am with kaykay, my horses are shiney and we feed nothing else, no supplements at all and have not fed beet pulp in a while. I just had pictures done yesterday, so when I get those you can see how my horses look. I am so happy with it and I can now get it for just over $12 a bag. Love my feed store, they are awesome.

I switched my guy's over around the same time KayKay did. I am seeing the same results! They are looking really good and have nice shiny coats!! I even think O So is starting to lose his belly!!

I love it!!! So do the boys!
default_biggrin.png

Ok, you guy convinced me to switch from Purina Enrich 32 to the new mini feed. Thank you!

I have found it's great for the more "easy keepers" of my herd, but the horses in full time show training need a bit more than what the Mini food offers., so I kept them on Strategy and let everyone else go to the Mini food.

I just started using it and so far like it. Just so you all know if you sign up for purina 60 day challenge you get 2 $10 off coupons on two bags of feed

For those of you who have switched from Strategy (GX) to this new formula for minis, what was your measurement for feeding the Strategy vs. the feeding of the mini feed?

I feed 5 of my 6 girls 1/4 lb each (2x a day) of the Strategy. Based on the feed tag I was sent (by my Purina rep), I would feed most of them just under 1/2lb per feeding. I would go through it faster at that rate. None of the 5 on Strategy need to gain any weight and all have coats that look fabulous. I like the lower fat though. I just get stuck on the idea of going through it twice as fast based on my current feed rates.

Just a word to everyone, if you have a program that works for you and you don't think the change will make a difference, then don't change. Follow the simple rule, if it aint broke, don't fix it. The reason I changed is feed is getting so high and my feed store could get this feed for me at almost $4 a bag less and it works for me. If it had not worked, I would have gone back to Omelene 200.

I have found it's great for the more "easy keepers" of my herd, but the horses in full time show training need a bit more than what the Mini food offers., so I kept them on Strategy and let everyone else go to the Mini food.
Kind of what I've found in the past when I switched to the Farnam Mini feed. I was feeding Safe Choice at the time and ended back with it. I may try this on a couple of horses, but I feed a Bluebonnet feed I've been very happy with - the only negative now is a recent - big - price increase. It went from $12.95 a bag to over $15 in one jump, all due to fuel costs!

Jan

A lot of you are saying how much you feed in cups. How much do you guys feed in pounds on average?

And how much is your feed? Omelene 300 for me just jumped up to $19.33.

My mini loves the purina mini & pony grain. The pellets are small and he really likes it better than what I was feeding him. He gets one serving in the morning, about 5 oz as he weighs around 365 pounds. Those of you who use this grain how much hay do you feed? I thought feeding him less grain would help take weight off but hasn't so far. He gets a flake of hay in the am and pm and a snack around 8 pm when I top off his water for the night.

Latest posts

Back