Purina Equine JR.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Timmy hates it.

He ain't gonna eat it. :no:

He says :smileypuke:

He's used to been getting Omelene 200 from ripping off his mama's feed.

So I tried to trick him into eating the Equine Jr. by mixing it and slowly was switching him over.

Didn't work. :no:

He said "you think I'm dumb?" :eek:

He picks out the Omelene and leaves the Equine Jr.

When everyone goes out, Chrissy knows it's in there and she comes vacums it up....... :eek:

Gotta love those fussy weaners.

Anyone else got babies protesting the Equine Jr.???

Probably not.

It's just us, right?
default_wacko.png
:

Bad spoiled little critter.
default_yes.gif
:

God love him.

Marty none of mine have liked the equine jr. Just like Timmy they have been stealing mom's and I haven't had any problems with mine staying on the Omalene 200. In fact they love it and seem to thrive!

Well I guess he can have his way then Teri!

Anyone want 150 pound supply of Equine Jr. come and git it!

That boy needs a little finger spank I swear......

I guess mine just aren't picky eaters.....have never had problems with them not eating the equine jr....but then they don't have another choice besides their hay. I'd take your Equine Jr Marty but I think the shipping fees would be outrageous :bgrin

Same here! Mine love EQ Jr. We use to feed Omolene, but had to many problems with bugs in the summer for some reason it was much worse than the EQ Jr.

Hey Marty - I have a few horses here that turn their noses up at carrots and apples - they never had them before in their life and still act like we're trying to poison them when they're offered.

Now Marty, I know how much you love Timmy. I want you to think back when your boys were around 2 to 4 yrs old. Well actually it is probably still true. IF you put a nice big piece of chocolate cake in front of them along with a nice balanced meal and let them choose which they would eat, what do you think they would pick?

omalene 200 = cake

Equine Jr.= balanced meal

Not that I have anything against omalene, I have used it for years.

Robin

Mine love Equine Jr. Even started the new QH yearling on it. No problems.

Marty you have to stop the access to the omolene as that is sweet feed and a horse just like a kid will always prefer sugar over nutrition. If you completely take away the omolene he will eat the jr. Omolene is one of the better sweet feeds but he would be miles ahead eating the jr instead. Your giving up way too easy. The only horses that start out not liking equine jr i have found are ones that have been eating sweet feed. He will eat it! It will take a few days but when he knows the sugar is not comign he will eat it.

When he does eat it remember its a complete feed! No need to add anything to it. Just give that and hay

Kay

Missy hated it alos Marty. She gets the Omelene 300 but still leaves the pellet part behind.
default_wacko.png
:

Put honey on it a couple of days and then cut back slowly on the honey. Warm the honey so it is really runny and will mix well.

What me??
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I never said any of that, I do NOT spoil my foals, not at all!!!!!
default_smile.png

We have never had a problem with foals not eating the Equine Jr, but, that is the only feed they get a choice from! It's amazing how much the LOVE it now!

Ours LOVE the Equine Jr and they will all run over you to get it!! Mmmmmmm! :bgrin

He'll eat it sooner or later Marty just give it time, would be easier on him if they were all off the sweet feed
default_smile.png

I happen to disagree with the general population here so far, I feed all of mine Omalene 200 and have good results from it. ??? What is the difference in feeding the sweet feed that is sweetened with molasses and feeding the other with honey? I also like the equine jr, but if they are used to one I don't waste my time trying to get them to eat another, when I feel I am feeding something equally good.

I don't like to stress a foal that is already feeling stress from being seperated from mom. Making them go hungry until they are forced to eat a food they don't like is not good for them or me. :bgrin

All of my weanlings LOVE Equine Junior, but that is what they were eating when with their dams too, so it was no adjustment at all to eating on their own.

I don't know what to tell you, Marty. Maybe if he were put with another horse that would eat the Junior, and feed it to both of them, he will perhaps start eating it?

My goodness. My babies INHALED their Junior feed. But then, they never got a lick of sweet feed. Won't buy the stuff--no way, no how, never. It's full of stuff to make the humans feel good (translation...slick marketing gimmic) because it smells sweet and the horses love it, but not, in my opinion, the best stuff for our 4-legged friends.

minih if you are going to feed sweet feed i do feel that omolene is the best one out there. I DO NOT put honey on my equine jr. I have never had a horse not eat it. When i first got black he was used to omolene so it took a couple days for him to really like the equine jr but now he loves it. The main difference if you look at labels is equine jr is much higher in fiber and has no where near the sugar content. Now keep in mind equine jr is a complete feed and I dont believe omolene is.

To ME sweet feed is like feeding your kids candy bars. full of sugar and empty calories. That is why horses go so crazy for it. If you ever god forbid have a horse overeat sweet feed like i did years ago you will never feed it again. It wasnt until that happened that i learned how the sweet feeds ferment in the horses stomach and cause toxins to release into the horses bloodstream.

One other good thing is equine jr doesnt attract flies and bees like sweet feed does.

Is the Purina Equine Jr. the same as the Purina Junior Developer?

Latest posts

Back