Equine Senior or Eq. Jr??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
My 3 yr old's teth are bothering him..caps coming off..adult teeth coming through. I have noticed that, with all this eruption, he is having difficulty eating hay. Even the soaked hay cubes!He gets more of that into him though then the soft orchard hay. I have also been feeding Omolene 200 but find that it is making him a bit hot so i do not want to increase that. I like the idea of a complete feed.

I love Equine Senior but am wondering, because of his age, should I feed the Equine Junior or is that just for weanlings?I know lots of people feed Equine Senior to horse that are not necessarily "Senior" yet!
default_smile.png

I would get the dentist out first to see if he helps with anything.

I would not feed him JR feed, its for JR's. Senior feed is good for old horses with little teeth, I would have no problem feeding it to him.

I would also encourage you to get a dentist or an equine vet good with teeth (one of mine is) to take a look, however, I would think any of these feeds would be reasonable to try: Purina Equine Junior, Purina Equine Adult, or Purina Equine Senior. The senior would probably be the one I'd try first, however, for real easy keeper minis, you need to be watchful they don't get too fat on it. Good luck!

I just had the vet out a month ago to float these two mini's. The little mare was fine..just a touch up but the gelding (he is 3) had a 4 caps and a few other issues. I was going to have the vet do another check in a few months but have just noticed he is eating a little more gingerly then before and cannot eat stemmy hay really..hence the soft Orchard hay. I just figured it was normal "growing pains" and it will pass. A vet is coming out next week anyway so will have her check it out. Equine Senior it is!

I would also encourage you to get a dentist or an equine vet good with teeth (one of mine is) to take a look, however, I would think any of these feeds would be reasonable to try: Purina Equine Junior, Purina Equine Adult, or Purina Equine Senior. The senior would probably be the one I'd try first, however, for real easy keeper minis, you need to be watchful they don't get too fat on it. Good luck!

Sometimes those caps can get stuck and abcesses form, particularly when alot of caps are coming off at once. It is a good idea to have it checked out.

Peggy

Latest posts

Back