Giving Equine Senior to a 4yr old performance gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
My 4yr old gelding, and in fact my 3yr old gelding just doesn't take to sweet grain very well. They defintelly aren't getting over fed. They are currently getting Omelene 200, the 100 might help a little but not much. My 4yr old gelding is real chubby and my 3yr old gelding just came home from the trainers and he looks really good right now, but he's always been chubby on the Omelene.

Recently I switched my 14yr old stallion on Equine Senior cause his teeth were hurting and couldn't get the dentist right away. He is eating much better and he looks awsome now! He was also chubby from the Omelene. Would a 4yr old and a 3yr old be ok on it? Keep in mind these horses are all-around performance geldings!

Tried getting Equine Adult but all they had was Jr. or Senior.

Thanks!

If you are also feeding hay, I think this probably would be fine. I have fed complete senior feed to my non-senior horses before. One big difference w/ the senior complete feed as opposed to the regular adult complete feed is that the senior has just a little more than 1/2 of the fiber content that the adult complete feed has -- so you want to be sure they also get hay
default_smile.png
They can get the nutrients out of the Senior easier I think, but in my experience, for horses that are easy keepers, a little of this goes a long way. They get fat easily from it!

The Purina Equine feeds are complete. I usually feed half and half anyhow (half Equine and half hay so they have the roughage) during show season and they do awesome. Yes, I have fed the Sr to driving horses with no ill effects. The labels are not THAT much different.

Latest posts

Back