Proud Cut Stallion's (gelding's)????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Hooves

Reaction score
I have a gelding acting like a stallion.
default_nono.gif
He goes through all of the action's of a stallion (getting all excited, extending himself, ect. he even run's at the other stallion to try to fight him through the fence).
default_wacko.png
Has anyone had this happen? Could it be proud cut?????

How old was he when he was gelded? How old is he now? Was he used for breeding prior to gelding?

Is he in a field by himself, with only other boys or are there mares present that he could be protecting/competing for?

Just because a horse is gelded does not entirely stop male behaviours. There are still male hormones present, just not in as large a quantity. Geldings frequently behave like stallions long after they are gelded, sometimes for life, particularly at this time of year - breeding season - they just can't complete the act. It is possible he is "proud cut" but if the gelding was done by a veterinarian he should have told you and chances are he is just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is 7 year's old. He was gelded last September, and it was done by a vet at a vet hospital. I had tried using him during the spring/summer 2009 with no luck settleing my mare's (2). These mare's had foal's in 2009 so I knew that they could be bred and carry full term.

I have my stallion's in corral's by themselves. This little guy is still in his pen I have not let him out with all of the other's yet. They are all able to touch one another through the fence. I have known of geldings that get excited around other's but have never extended themselves and been ready to go.

Off topic a bit i know but just how big is your pen? Does he have plenty of room in there to run and buck and let off excess energy?

Since this horse was gelded older and had already bred mares it takes much longer for those things to fade away. For some they may never completely fade away. Gelding is not an "answer all" for behavior issues etc. I always warn people that geld older stallions that it is not a cure all and some will continue to act like stallions. Horses kept alone also tend to have more issues.

I say give it more time!

Good luck

Kay

I have a gelding that was a stallion into his 20's (a rescue - exact age unknown) and he will still drop, fully extend and even penetrate mares in certain conditions. I personally don't want any penetration going on (even from a gelding) because it's just not healthy and clean and why risk an infection? So I keep Wiz away from certain mares at certain times of the year to prevent this. But he will still "protect" his herd of mares and run the fenceline with Spirit and try to show his stuff. He herds his mares away from Spirit - it's very funny actually to watch. It's really not that uncommon at all for a gelding to still exhibit stallion-like behaviors - to varying degrees.

Give him more time - it will probably get better is my guess.

I have a gelding that was a stallion into his 20's (a rescue - exact age unknown) and he will still drop, fully extend and even penetrate mares in certain conditions. I personally don't want any penetration going on (even from a gelding) because it's just not healthy and clean and why risk an infection? So I keep Wiz away from certain mares at certain times of the year to prevent this. But he will still "protect" his herd of mares and run the fenceline with Spirit and try to show his stuff. He herds his mares away from Spirit - it's very funny actually to watch. It's really not that uncommon at all for a gelding to still exhibit stallion-like behaviors - to varying degrees.
Give him more time - it will probably get better is my guess.
Have you ever had any problems (or worried) about him hurting any of your foal's (the colt's of other stallion's)? when he is out with all of them or is he not allowed to be with them at or during the time of foal's? This is something that worries me if I go ahead and let him out with everyone. I hope he will get over this. I want him to be able to be out with everyone else, but not if he is going to hurt my babies when they (the mare and foal) are old enough to be put back out with everyone.

Proud cut is most often a behavior, not a physical condition. In order to be proud cut a vet (or laymen) has to botch the castration so badly they leave behind testicular tissue, which is the only reproductive structure in the stallion's body that produces testosterone.

It is normal for some geldings to tease and breed mares. There are issues that go along with it but nothing more than if you were running a stallion with them, without the pregnancy issue.

We gelded a six (I think) year old stallion and it took a couple of years for him to 'calm down', although he was better at the beginning. He doesn't drop any longer. I vote on giving it time, too.

Some geldings are not social horses, you have to remember this too. Although most geldings have the reputation of being mellow, friendly, and social... some are NOT and it is especially more common in geldings who were gelded later in life and never learned proper social graces.

I have known plenty of geldings who could not be turned out with other horses without being a bit too vicious.

Hopefully your guy will settle down... but expect it to take a while.

Andrea

they just can't complete the act.
I have been "lucky" enough to have had two properly gelded geldings who would react to mares more than the usual; both of which were gelded reasonably young, (1 and 3 years of age) and neither had bred a mare prior to being gelded.

One would herd them together, and "protect" them when the stallion was out in the adjacent pasture...he would also act aggressively towazrds his sire, and keep the mares from the fence-line.

The other, though calmer, and non-aggressive towards his sire, (actually he was the only one who could co-habitate with him) yet there were two of the mares that would gravitate towards him when in heat...and he would "oblige" them by dropping, mounting...and COMPLETING the "deed", to the point of tail wagging, and collapsing afterwards... It didn't take long to get those mares out of his pasture!!!

Latest posts

Back