pros/cons for fly masks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell

Reaction score
Do you use fly masks on your Minis if the flies get bad? Normally don't have a problem with flies but this year is different. I am considering getting some if i can find a good deal. What do you all think?

I just got my mini so she does not yet have a fly mask but I do plan to have one for her next year (flies are not bad here now). However, I've always had ones for my average horse's. I don't put them on every day though, it depends on how bad the flies are. I don't really have any cons about fly masks. I can't stand to see a ton of flies around my horse's eyes.

The con I can think of is really more just a heads up, and that's to be sure to take the mask off at least 1x a day and make sure there's nothing wrong with the eyes. They can become irritated or injured (not related to the mask) and if you are not careful to check, you may not know before it becomes worse...

Maybe ONE other con and that is the horses seem to love to pull them off each other so you may have to go on fly mask hunts periodically
default_yes.gif

Good points Jill. I am going to go ahead and order some. I have 3 mares that seem to be bothered more then the rest. I will be sure and check them often. Probably will have these nasty flies now until we get a frost....not looking forward to that either.

We have fly masks for all of our average sized horses but I think I am going to order some for our mini horses and mini donkeys!!
default_smile.png

My advice - buy brightly colored ones because they are easier to find in the pasture when their pasture mates decide to liberate them! LOL

I just got fly masks for both of my minis and I'm so glad I did. It only took a few days before they figured out that they were good things. Now when I go out to feed in the morning they stand and wait until I put them on. I take them off every night when I feed so they can have a little break. I felt pretty bad for them with flies all over their faces and they seem pretty happy with the new fly masks so I say it was a good purchase. I got the ones with ears and had to sew the ears down a little because they looked a little like mini donkeys with those huge grey ear covers
default_smile.png

I use them on 3 that seem to have more attraction for the flies then others. I take them off at night for a rest from them and to check the eyes.The horses seem to appreciate them, and yes it adds a mask hunt to your day sometimes! I do rinse off the masks when off the horse and maybe have to use soap.

I got mine from Diane at Mini Express and they work well.

My con at least with my horse with fly masks was he likes pulling them off and losing them. The one i found where he cant is the one that has 2 ear holes, not the typical slip over and behind the ears. Mine doesnt have the mesh that goes over the ears just the individual holes and he hasnt been able to get it off yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate fly masks. My horses never leave them on so it defeats the purpose of putting them on in the first place. I have 4-5 here that I am willing to give to anyone who wants them. Just pay shipping. All but one are the type that have the one big hole for the ears and one has separate holes for each ear, no ear covers on any of them.

Let me know if you are interested. [email protected]

Marsha

My experience is that they rub them off, often on trees and in the PNW, that means tree sap and rubbed manes. I started using a really strong fly spray this year and just spray some in my hand and wipe around each eye carefully before I mist them and haven't seen a single fly on any of them - after the first day, I've only sprayed every 3rd day or so.

In my opinion, fly masks are useless if they don't have the ear covers because the gnats in their ears are what bug them the most! Our horses absolutely love their fly masks and if they fall off the put their heads by them and paw at ten until we put them back on! It's amazing!! Lol

I really like the Cashel Crusader fly mask, they hold up well, fit well and they do mostly keep it on. I have one mare whose eyes get irritated from the flies and dust in the summer. My other mare has the purple Mini size Super Mask and she always gets it off, so I don't put hers on everyday. I find that brand is more bulky up top with the velcro and I don't like that as well (still can't get them tight fit).

Having 30-some horses here, I don't put fly masks on all of the horses, but those that are extra-bugged by flies I do, especially if the horse is cooperative about keeping it on.
default_yes.gif
If they rub the masks off all the time then there's not much point in even putting them on. The horses that do wear fly masks seem to be very appreciative of them, they practically wait in line to them. *grin* I put them on in the morning and take them off at night, and rinse or wash them at least once every few days or when they get too dirty, whichever comes first, otherwise I just smack the dust from them. I like the ones with the ears best too, but this year the gnats don't seem to be a problem, though the flies are really having a big year, ugh.

My old boss would draw eyes on the fly masks, this was long before the fly masks that came with pics, she didn't like the "no eyes" look of plain fly masks.

I have some fly masks and have used them periodically just depends on what I'm dealing with at the time. I have some that will do just about anything to remove them, and others don't seem to even notice.

In northern minnesota the flies and gnats have been so bad it's almost unbearable for the horses or even for us!

We don't have so much trouble with face flies, but I do like the masks in a trailer. I always used to worry about shavings getting into their eyes, now with masks on...no worries.

Back