Progress with my new boy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm so pleased with my young horse, I have to tell someone! I was reluctant to start him pulling until he is 3 in the spring, but some experienced horse people told me moderate work in the light sulky would not hurt him.

I have been in the sulky behind him 4 times now, and he is going so well!! Today we went in the back pasture and he had to work pretty hard, especially his hind end, as there are mild grades. We are only walking so far, which I was told is actually harder work for a horse than trotting. The scary shadow came up beside him on the way home, but he handled it very well. We only went about 3/4 mile, then unhooked and did a few line driving excercises.

He stands very nicely for harnessing, is turning comfortably in the shafts, and has a good whoa. I haven't used any checks on him, or blinders yet. He seems to have a naturally nice headset.

Sounds like you are having fun, keep us posted. Congratulations
default_saludando.gif

That's great Marsha!! I agree, some very light and infrequent works in a light vehicle won't hurt a two-year old but I've said for so long that I won't start a horse before three that I think my head would explode if I put my yearling to cart next year!
default_blush.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like your guy is doing very well and they're right, walking IS harder than trotting most of the time. Just keep his works short and easy to spare his joints and next spring he'll be ready to go full-blast.
default_aktion033.gif
(I'll admit that I can't wait to get my youngster used to the harness and long-lining so I can get out there again. I think we'll do everything BUT pulling the cart next year and get all the basics down really pat. Hopefully Kody will be back in harness at least a little by then so he can distract me from my impatience!)

Keep us updated. I enjoy hearing about your training experiences.

Leia

Sounds like you two are developing a great partnership
default_smile.png
Keep up the good work and show us some pix if you get a chance
default_smile.png

Great to hear things are going well for you and your boy! I would say about 90% of the two year olds out there are fine to work in harness - about 1 in 10 just aren't either mentally or physically mature enough to handle it. It's a different story for training a riding horse but I see no problem with working a horse in the shafts at that age. They won't be strong enough for any tough slogging for another year or so but when you start them at 3 they aren't really ready for any of the same for a year or so either - it takes that long to build up the muscle to carry themselves and push the cart.

Yes, I was concerned about working him too early. I really hadn't planned to put him in the cart till spring when he's 3, but the breeder I got him from thought it was allright, as long as the workout was moderate and the sulky balanced.

I can tell a big difference in his mental maturity in just the last few months. He was very juvenile, then just recently seemed to "grow up". He is not a finely-boned boy and is 34", so I think that makes a difference, too.

I can see his chest widening, and an overall increase in muscle in the last couple of months. Of course, he's pretty furry! but it is more than just fur.

The increased mental maturity and his physical development prompted me to ask the breeder about working in harness now.

I would not let my grandchildren sit on him, though, as I don't want any weight on his back yet.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Latest posts

Back