Problems with my LGD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
I have a yearling female Great Pyrenees, Bella. She is currently pastured with my pygmy goats and mini stallion. The problems I am having with her are:

food aggression, she chases any of the animals that come within 30 - 40 feet of her when she is eating. She hates the stallion because he tries to eat her dry food. We have place a fenced dog kennel in the pasture to keep her food in with the top half blocked of, (sort of like opening the bottom of a dutch door). This is a way to keep our stallion out although he will still walk all around the kennel in an attempt to access it for Bella's food. She barks and growls at him but he isn't the slightest bit intimidated by her. She likes to chase the goats quite often anyway, although she has never hurt any of them, she just seems to grab their tail area and then lets go.

Last week one of my does gave birth in the pasture to 2 babies, she was early. I knew she had kidded because I heard Bella barking and the doe yelling. I ran out there and Bella was chasing the momma away from the babies, wouldn't let her near them. I was able to get the mom and kids out of the pasture and stalled in the back yard although it was quite a struggle to keep Bella from chasing the doe away while I was doing it. I was very relieved she had no aggression towards the babies, I was worried as Bella is my first LGD and the only dog I have ever allowed in the pasture with my livestock. I think she was just trying to protect the babies from what possibly may have seemed to her like a goat attack, lol. You know, bloody area (afterbirth, bawling babies) lol
default_rolleyes.gif
: .

Will these things pass as she gets older and less energetic, more experienced or do I need to do some specific training with her to stop this? The adult goats won't even come up to the fence for treats anymore as Bella is so jealous she will instantly chase them off and I am afraid to put any of the young ones out there as I usually do when they are a few weeks old as I certainly don't want her chasing them. Any advice?

Terri Tyler Mother of Daniel Lee Adams 11/08/87 - 02/21/06

Until we meet again, my beautiful Son, I will hold you close in my heart

I love you

This is not normal or acceptable behaviour in a LGD- how big is the area in which she is enclosed and how many animals are in there- it sounds to me as if you have one very confused dog.

At the very least I would take the stallion out when you are feeding her- she does require a bit of respect and her food will not do him any good, either.

It doesn't sound to me like this individual is cut out to be a LGD, dispite her breed :no:

A good number of Pyr's from what I have seen and heard do have food aggression issues. My Male will guard his food and growl and wont let anyone near. If the horses are out he will tr his BEST not to let them have it but if they persisit he will give in rather than actually hurt them. We feed our dogs in the round pen basically at night when not in use. The other behaviours though worry me. It does seem like she is not bonded as she should be. ow long has she been with these animals? How much interation do YOU or people have with her? I am in NO WAY an expert but do have LGD's as well. Can you contact the breeder you got her from?

A certain amount of food aggression is not uncommon. Our Pyr "Panda" will protect his food too, and sometimes growl while eating if a cat or horse is "near"or chase them off....but he often allows the horses to eat from his bowl when they run into the barn while I'm putting them back into the stalls. It's when he has something he REALLY likes, that the food agression really shows...like a pig ear! I think that dog would give his life for a pig ear!
default_rolleyes.gif
: When he gets one of those treats....he'll take it outside & just hold it in his mouth. Then he lays there & growls, and his eyes will roll back like he's looking at something behind him & then he attacks he own back leg like he thinks it's sneaking up on him to take his pig ear!

It really cracks me up! :new_rofl: :new_rofl: He'll do this for an hour or more before actually eating it. (the pig ear, not his leg!) He never really bites himself...but sure looks like he is! He will, however, allow me to take the pig ear from his mouth without any threat to me....so I'm not that concerned about it.

As far as your dog chasing Bella away from her kids.....I dunno. It does sound as if she hasn't really bonded to the goats. Panda is often, right in the stall with me while a mare is foaling, and he helps to lick them off.
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't sound good for me keeping Bella as a LGD. Belle is on a pasture that is about 2 1/2 to 3 acres with 4 Pygmy goats, i have moved the stallion out of that pasture. I could accept her food aggression. However I am deeply concerned about her chasing the goats as I don't know if it will ever stop. I was really hoping to hear that she would grow out of it. Do you think a shock collar might work.

How long have you had Bella, and how long has she been with the goats?

A year-old LGD is still very young, and sometimes "teen-ager" problems arise with them, which require correction. The chasing, as you know, is bad, and the biting is worse, even though she hasn't hurt any of them YET, it could escalate at any time. A shock collar may be in order if she doesn't listen to you, that way you could give her a (mild) shock every time she started chasing a goat. It would require extensive time from you, and when you couldn't be watching her with the remote in hand, the dog should be fenced away from the goats, so that EVERY time she chases them she gets shocked.

Even though LGD's are bred to be kept with livestock, they do still require training and guidance from humans in order to know exactly what is allowed and what is off-limits. I hope that you will be able to get Bella on the right track, good luck!!

I have had quite a lot of experience with electric collars and, as a humanely used training device I do like them BUT I honestly do not think that this is a place for them to be used- if the dog needs this sort of training I think I would be inclined to be looking for a new home for it where it's strengths are utilised not it's weaknesses punished.

Also it needs only for the training to slip once and you have a field of slaughtered goats or dead horses.

Not worth the risk.

I am with rabbit on this one. I very much love this breed of dog in fact one of my favorites however.. not all are suited to guarding livestock.

Perhaps she can live outside of the horse/goat pastures and still alert you to any trouble?

Belle is still very much a baby. She needs you out there to make sure she doesn't get in trouble. Take her out of the field to feed her.

Only take her out in the pasture when you are there and keep her on a leash and make it longer as time goes on so you can correct her when she starts to chase anything.

If you are lucky enough to be present when a doe has her babies have Belle right there with you and make sure she knows that the mom and babies are supposed to be together.

In other words she needs training.

Robin

Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't sound good for me keeping Bella as a LGD. Belle is on a pasture that is about 2 1/2 to 3 acres with 4 Pygmy goats, i have moved the stallion out of that pasture. I could accept her food aggression. However I am deeply concerned about her chasing the goats as I don't know if it will ever stop. I was really hoping to hear that she would grow out of it. Do you think a shock collar might work.
Don't give up......this is the age where LGD's will test and see who is boss. You need to contact the breeder and get some assistance on working through this phase. She sounds a bit too food possesive, and not well bonded to the stock. This isn't uncommon in first time LGD owner's with a pup. If the breeder you got her from cannot be involved then try to locate another breeder even online who is willing to help you through this.

It truly is a common stage and your situation is not unique, other LGD's have turned out fine even after killing a lamb at this age (the owner worked through it and wouldn't be without the dog).

Latest posts

Back