Problem with mare aborting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
Well I am having issues with one of my mares. She is an amha/amhr 28.5'' mare 14 years old has had 5-6 foals. Last year she aborted her foal at around 4 months I sent the fetus to cornell and it came back with no issues. So following my vets orders I re bred her this year, she lost it agian last week at around 8 weeks pregnant. The vet went right to thinking she has scar tissue or a bad cervix. I had her palpated today her cervix is fine, the ultrasound showed good overies and a normal uterus no fluid. They took a culture to check for infection im suppose to get it back at the end of the week. They also did a uterus biopsy they said it will take 1 to 2 weeks to it back as it has to go to cornell.

She never has issues catching foal, she catches the first time everytime. Im so confussed.

This is her 3rd abortion she lost a foal full term with a previous owner due to a rhino out break, my mares clean and the lost foal was too.

They recomended regumate but im waiting to breed her untill i get results incase theres an issue.

Any ideas?

I can't help you with your questions
default_sad.png
sorry for your lost.

Im no help either but wanted to say sorry for your loss...

Just wondering if the vet tested her blood for hormone levels early on to see if the problem is related to needing regumate?

To be accurate with this you would have to test several times over a couple of days, the hormones fluctuate, and one test alone would not be reliable.

I would just flush her, and re breed her

Depending on the culture and biopsy results, you can decide what to do at that time. If both are negative for infection, then I would breed the mare and start her on Regumate when she is ultrasounded in foal. Continue the Regumate until she foals.

Depending on the culture and biopsy results, you can decide what to do at that time. If both are negative for infection, then I would breed the mare and start her on Regumate when she is ultrasounded in foal. Continue the Regumate until she foals.
Just as Becky suggested, this is what I would do. I have even started the regumate as soon as the mare has gone out of heat and not waited for the 15-20 day ultrasound. I ultrasound check at around 20-30 days in that case, then again in a couple months. After that I can usually visually confirm that the mare is still in foal.

Good luck with your mare.

Perhaps it would be helpto switch studs? Some mare - stallion combination just doesn't work...

Otherwise I would try Regumate too with veterany supervision.

You might also try after having her flushed, to wait a year to rebred. I had that work with one of mine that aborted. Come to find out her last foal had pinched her bladder, go figure, it needed time to heal. It didn't show up in the breeding exam.

It may be that at her age and her size, she is simply not going to maintain a pregnancy anymore. I know that she is not "old", but two abortions in a row may well be a sign that she is no longer going to be a broodmare... I would leave her open and wait at least a year.

We did rest her for a year after her aborting at 4 months last year. Waiting for results still our vet said depending on them we should rebreed her and put her on Regumate. How expensive do you think that will be?

Preliminary culture results are showing a staph infection in her uterus. I asked the vet if she had this since i got her and did it cause all the abortions, she told me she doubts it and she probably just got it after aborting. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back