Problem with "inner eye lid" in dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy's Run

Reaction score
I was over my brother's today and his one German Shepard has a problem with the inner eye lids being swollen and her eyes have a slight goopy discharge. When you look at her eyes, the lower eye lids starting at the tear ducts, you can see that the inner lids are swollen. She can see perfectly and it doesn't seem to bother her any. My brother said it happens on and off and the vet gave him some eye drops but they don't seem to help any. Vet didn't really know what was wrong. Allergies maybe? I vaguely remember something discussed on here about this. Anyone know the name or any information on it? I was thinking maybe triple antibiotic eye ointment might help? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

I think Cherry eye, also ... if it's the one where the inner eye lid doesn't retract all the way. One of our dogs needed surgery to fix his cherry eye, but has been good ever since.

THAT'S IT!!!!! Cherry Eye was what I was trying to think of. Thanks. One thing though, the third eye lid is not pink or red in color at all. It looks like the dog's normal skin coloring and the swelling goes all along the bottom outside lid but on the inside and NOT like a tumor by the tear duct closest to the nose. Does that make any sense? I wish I took a picture of her to show you guys. Sorry.

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called cherry eye and it is caused by the outer lower lid of the eye turning in and the hairs causing irritation to the eye. The only way to fix this problem is surgery, but most vets don't like to do just one eye because most of the time when one eye does it the other eye will usually do it also and why put the dog under twice. It don't cause them any pain or discomfort but does cause alot of tearing and red eye appearance. No amount of eye ointment will help.

It's not uncommon to see in any breed not just the larger ones. Just see it more in the larger breed.

Thanks Pineyoaks. It has affected both eyes equally. I have a cat who had this problem as a kitten and I had the surgery done to remove the third lid and she is ok but she had already lost some vision in both eyes by the time her mother brought her down from the barn rafters and I was able to see what was wrong with her. That is what has me so concerned with my brother's dog. We don't want any vision loss for her like my cat. I will bring it up to my brother to check out her outer lid to see if it is turning in. When I looked at her, I didn't notice this though, but then I wasn't specifically looking for that. I was so focused on the swelling. Thanks again.

Linda

Latest posts

Back