Problem with a past buyer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
Can anyone help me wiht this problem?

I sold a filly earlier this year (due to over stocking at the time), i had owned the filly for 18mths

and never had a problem EVER.

When i sold her i offered a full refund if they werent happy with her for the first 4 wks, when they came to view i took them to the field that she was grazing in to show them how easy she was to catch, halter, lead and how friendly she was.

This went well, but lately several people have told me that the woman who bought her is now going around

saying that the filly has serious sweet itch. She had a full mane and tail when i had and not 1 scratched spot on her. Surely (it is my belief) that a horse always has sweet itch and doesnt just develope it suddenly??

I believe it has a bad case of rain rot or maybe an allergy to the fed that it is on.

I dont want to get into a disagreement with someone who seems to be less knowledgeable on these

matters, i regret selling this filly as it was meant to be a companion to 1 pony and now is 1 of about

7 or 8 (although this in none of my business) and we have now bought over 40 acres so we have more than enough room now.

Your honest opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

And should you always use a contract when selling your horses?

thanks for any help

Joanne

I myself would ignore it, or, perhaps if she wants to address you personally, then deal with it.

Other than that, you could email and suggest that she has a vet look at the filly. Honestly, if she hasn't brought it up to you, I would let it go.

It could be anything from lice, ringworm, rain rot, allergies to actual sweet itch, which I believe is a fly allergy, isn't it, which is usually a Summer thing?

Is she directly saying YOU knew this, and/or misrepresented the horse?

Anyway, these things happen and you have to let it roll off your back. If someone has an issue with it, let them bring it up to you. This is part of why I take photos of a horse frequently, and especially on the day it moves to its new home (to show the condition they were in when they left my place).

Good luck and I'm sorry for your distress, it isn't any fun. Hope that filly can get treated for whatever's ailing her.

(edited to add: I don't know what a contract would have done except that she would have signed it saying she accepted the horse in the current condition, and is satisfied with that, and from what I hear, these contracts are not foolproof anyway. )

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of having her run around talking to other people, have you had her talk to YOU??? (I hate hearing when buyers start doing stuff like that before going directly to the original owner.)

As Liz mentioned, it could be something like lice or even worms! She should really have a vet check her over instead of just talking about it.

Lastly, if you can afford it now, have you considered just buying the filly back???

MA

PS: Oh, forgot to say......Yes! We should ALL write out a sales contract! Even if it's a pet and a cash sale, I have a receipt book that I jot down details on, so both parties have a copy. Then, I like to type up a more formally worded one later.......

Last edited by a moderator:
And should you always use a contract when selling your horses?

Joanne
Most definitely !! Even if I am selling a $400 pet gelding with no papers, they must sign a contract which specifically spells out any terms, conditions, as well as circumstances under which a horse could be returned...and if so, if it would be for returned cash or farm credit. It's called serious CYA.

As Liz mentioned, it could be something like lice or even worms! She should really have a vet check her over instead of just talking about it.
That was my first thought too when you said she now has several new horses. Who knows what one or all might have brought in?

thanks..lymda..you bitch.....

and joanne...i love that mare...so darn you!!

I havent been contacted by the buyer at all and id love to buy her back. I owned her through 2 summers and not 1 mark ever, are horses not born with sweet itch?

And surely she'd have had bald patches when i sold her (but she didnt) and i have seem a number of photos of her since and i have to be honest she looked to be in good shape.

Its very distressing because i guarantee my horses to have good manners and no ill health and offer a far better return option than any breeder i know, with a full refund if things dont work out in 1 month.

I cant do much more than that

:no:

:new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

??????????????????????????

DITTO THAT!! :new_shocked: ???????????

:new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

??????????????????????????

joanne...i never once said that i wanted to get rid of sally....

i just told lynda last night that sally had sweet itch..i never once said i was mad about it..i love sally..shes my baby..and i would never sell her...it was just a conversation that i had.....so i dont care if i am banned......... i hsave no bother with you joanne...sallys great ...but lynda ..you are a stirrer...and darn you!!!!!!!

i just told lynda last night that sally had sweet itch..i never once said i was mad about it..i love sally..shes my baby..and i would never sell her...it was just a conversation that i had.....so i dont care if i am banned......... i hsave no bother with you joanne...sallys great ...but lynda ..you are a stirrer...and darn you!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back