problem delivery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitsy

Reaction score
My maiden mare went into labor on her due date, she had no bag to speak of and she had never loosened the muscles in her back end. After several minutes I saw a red bag start to appear. I quickly opened it and saw one tiny hoof, for just a moment as the mare immediately got up and started walking about he stall. The little foot slipped away and the mare refused to lay down and push. I could actually see contractions running down her sides but she was basically ignoring it all. I called the vet clinic and told them I was on my way and what the problem was.

Once they laid her down and reached in almost to his shoulder he pronounced that position was correct, he had two little feet and a nose. It took what seemed like forever to pull this little filly out, it was so tight and the filly was barely 17" tall. I was sure they were going to pull the little things legs right off. Of course we all knew she was dead. Then the miracle, when they finally pulled her out and flopped her down on the floor, SHE MOVED! Could not believe it. It had been almost an hour and a half since I had opened the red bag. It seems the placenta was still attached in one little spot, must have been just enough to keep the baby going. After nine days in intensive care and a vet bill that would knock your socks off I have the most beautiful little bay overo filly
default_biggrin.png

My question: Has anyone ever had a mare do this? Do you know if there is any way to prevent this from happening again? Could I give the mare something to help her body prepare for delivery? I love this mare to death and don't want to give up on her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I managed to attach a picture, here is our little girl, she looks just like her mom!

peanutfrontreduced.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We did have a mare with a dystocia last year that just refused to push. She just wouldnt. We went in and got the leg in the right place and thank god my neighbor finally pulled the foal out. My neighbor runs a foaling facility and he said you usually only see that in a maiden mare with a tough delivery. Its almost like the mare just gives up.

We did rebreed our mare and i am praying for no problems this year. I really think if the front leg hadnt been in the wrong position she would have been fine. But we are always prepared to have to go in and pull if needed.

Those "red bags" can just fly in out of nowhere and hit ya upside the head. I'll bet part of the problem was just that your mare was a maiden mare. She will probably foal like a machine for you from now on! So glad you have a foal to show for it! Most of the time you don't with red bags! Bravo and best wishes!

Wow!!! Congrats on your new filly! And wow again for her being alive! That is amazing. There is not much you can do and the mare NOT laying down again may be what helped save the baby.

Our vet has said if there is a dystocia going on, get the mare up and walk her til she gets there. Sometimes this will help the baby drop back in and reposition. It also helps reduce the mares hard labor sometimes, and keeps the baby alive a bit longer as they are not working so hard to expel it.

However, that was a long time to wait for the vet and I think it's truly a miracle that she survived!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Can't wait to see pics of your little miracle girl!!

default_new_shocked.gif
Congratulations and WAY TO GO on the safe delivery!!!!!!!
default_thumbup.gif
Can't wait to see her
default_wink.png

Wow that is a great story!

What an incredible save!

I bet the veterinarian was as surprised as you are.
default_biggrin.png

This gives me more hope should a delivery take a long time that the foal might survive.

Did they give the filly oxygen once she was out??

And where are the pictures of this miracle baby???? Congratulations on saving both the mare and the baby.

Our vet believes that red bags are often caused by a mild infection in the uterus that weakens the placenta and causes it to tear loose when labor starts. I've have many "partial red bags" like the one you describe, where part of the placenta is still attached and the foal is still getting oxygen. Trouble is, you never know when you see that red bag if it's a total separation or not.

My vet recommends giving mares that have red bagged a half dose of antibiotics such as SMZ daily starting a month before her due date. A friend has a mare who red bagged three years in a row until we started her on antibiotics. We do it every year now and she's never done it again.

As far as a mare walking around during labor, there's probably not much you can do about that short of sedating her then going in after the foal.

Pat

Latest posts

Back