Prices of mini's going down the drain...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm...that is really interesting though, I never even considered the baby boomers would be a big part of the horse industry but you're right, and to imagine a number like 1200 people turning 60 every day for the next 15 years...that is a huge number of our population looking towards retiring who have probably been breeding and raising horses for years. That sort of puts me in a whole new perspective, with the baby boomers and prices of gas and other things going up it does make sense why we're probably heading into a depression as far as the horse market goes - it still saddens me though to see a good horse go for so cheap. I am glad to hear there's still a lot of you out there who are firm on your prices for good, quality reasons and you're still seeing them being sold for your prices, that gives me some hope for my future anyhow =) I feel like I am starting late in the game, almost like even if I do have a fantastic foal a couple years from now (when I do start breeding) that no one will truly understand it because we're in the depression, and that $500 is going to be a high price for a horse. I hope it doesnt go that way, but I do see where finding a great horse at that price would be really nice! I am now through foaling season going to be looking for an appaloosa, refined, arabian featured filly - flashy tail, great trot, to mature around 33-34" to be a pasture friend to my one filly and future breeding prospect and I sure as heck can't afford 5 grand right now!!! But when I can afford it, i'll be proud after all my hunting to bring home an expensive, well put together, great confirmation or great confirmation producing mini. =)

Last year, 2005, I well selling a filly and a mare. Went to Nationals, trying to sell them, still nothing. I had one person told me even that I was asking way to low and should double the price. So quality doesn't always depend on the price or market. Still trying to sell the mare but keeping the filly.

I have another filly that Im trying to sell, is on LB Auction right now, IMO better quality than the filly I was selling last year, but needing to reduce the herd and is only on there for $500!!!

IMO too many horses for sale, too many people are in a rut and need to sell, too many foals are being born, too many stallions, many colts need to be gelded, overload in the market. I'm not trying to buy this year, and I think many people are doing the same or atleast looking for that one right horse out there. This year IMO is going to be really hard to sell
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard this, but I don't see it. I have paid over $1000 for mares that are single reg. and expect to pay 2x's that for A/R reg. I think it depends on the area you live in. I traveled a good 8 hours one way to get

these horses because the price and quality were better than the area I live in. I continue to purchase horses from this breeder because of the quality. They have a good back ground, not great, but good. They do have great looks, confirmation and temperment. I have a horse that I got locally, my first mini. All I can say is if I knew then what I know now.....Well I consider her a very good pet quality, but I paid too much.

Local sales still have higher prices too. As long as the horse looks like it is put together well and is reg. and healthy, they go for a good price. I have seen unregistered minis that are nice looking go for well over $800, and these are at public mini auctions.

Maybe you can all throw some names my way when I am looking into another mare or filly. I offer a great home! :bgrin

Promise

P.S.

to all of those breeders that are compromising their prices, don't!!!!

I always think that there has to be something wrong with a horse if its price is too low. You know, "If it sounds too good to be true...."

My sales have slowed down a bit in the last few years...which goes hand in hand with the fact that I rarely show anymore (except for Nationals) and have drastically reduced my advertising. But, with that said, I've still sold the number of horses I needed to sell during the last year, at fair, reasonable prices, to homes I trust.

I have had more people this year than ever before tell me "I can buy a horse for X amount somewhere else". Yes, in many cases they can buy a cheaper horse somewhere else, but *I* know what and how I breed and so do my many repeat buyers.

As far as prices overall for my sales horses, they're still pretty darn close to where they were five-six years ago. The horses are still the same quality, or so I like to think, even better, as we keep refining our breeding program and integrating more and more third generation horses into our program.

I have not bred ANY of my younger (6 and under) mares during the last 3 years. I didn't need them. I am happy with what my proven mares are producing and they do not foal every year and yes that is intentional. I may integrate one or two of the young mares this year and retire a few of the older mares. By the way, MY mares do stay with me. The only older mares that are EVER sold are ones I've not have for long. My girls who have spent their lives producing for me have a FOREVER home with me...ask Fancypants, now 37 years young and still going strong, or the other 20 something girls.
default_yes.gif
:

I have been sending my show horses out with Dana Bryan of Dreamweaver Farm during the last few years. I still hit a few shows, but nothing like before. When I retired from training last year I was thrilled that *I* get to pick when and where I show
default_yes.gif
:

Again, as far as prices, I am somewhat flexible according to where a horse is going, especially if it's going to be shown and act as the best type of advertising for my breeding program. Our geldings have a wonderful reputation in the show ring and that keeps their prices up, ONCE THEY HAVE PROVEN THEMSELVES AND I HAVE INVESTED TIME AND MONEY IN TRAINING AND PROMOTING THEM. Did I stress that enough? LOL

This (now three year old mare) was bred and raised here at Flying A Farm, but was actually part of the Indian Bluff Herd Dispersal. She was for sale for 1 1/2 years and didn't sell. You couldn't pry her away from me now. Dana took her out for me last year and she went National Top Ten (again) and won the Area Five Reserve Grand Championship.

I kept her price firm while she was for sale because I knew her quality, but I'm keeping her because I'm in love with her personality AND her conformation. I may breed her in a few years and I may not, but I'll definitely have her back out in the show ring this year
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: Do I have other fillies & young mares this nice right now? You bet I do and some are for sale and some aren't, but they won't be given away or priced out of sight. We've been here for 15 years and are not going anywhere
default_wink.png
:

GigiAreaFour2005.jpg

I read these threads with interest every time that they arise. I can only add that this past year was the best year that we have ever had. Of course, for the past ten years I have worked at our miniature horse business full time and I understand that most of you have "real" jobs and can't devote the time to your business that I do, but I still see a very excellent market.

I dont think anyone is upset at re discussing this topic, as I think it always remains 'current'.

Vertical, you hit the nail on the head with the 'give aways'. Karho Arabians did that here for years, and would also donate a couple of dozen youngsters to a local college to auction off and the college kept that money for it's programs.

9/11, gas prices, etc.. may have affected some of the market, but there are always ups and downs in the basic economy.

I have been breeding horses over 30 years and Minis since 1995. I have always and am still always upgrading my herd. I hope to never go 'barn blind' and stop doing that.

I only have three mares at this time- two were bred for '06 and depending on what I am doing next year, may only have two foals again... it just depends. I want to show the one mare this year, so she was not bred back.

I have to agree with Tony, we had a good sales year here too ...we sold 42 horses and many of them for a good price, some for average and some not as good. I have always said, a quality horse will bring the better prices...and that is always going to be true. So, breed the best you can....it really does make a difference. I have had a lot of people tell me they can get a colt for $--- from this person or that, I tell them then they need to go there to buy. I am certainly not reducing the quality of my program to meet a pet market...altho we always get a few of those, I certainly am not breeding for them!

Kathleen Sullivan

sixgems.com

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but if you think of this as a business (PRICES) you must act on LOGIC and REASON rather than EMOTION. With these sweet babies it is easy to let emotion take over and not use good business logic.

If you want to IMPROVE the breed, you MUST cull. If you determine that you will NEVER part with a particular horse, you give up the opportunity to breed a better one. I'm not saying you can't keep a horse forever, just that one that is non productive or of inferior quality is taking up space that could be used for a superior quality horse.

I think the consensus here is that many non breeding quality horses are being bred anyway. We (as a group) contribute to that by opposing horse slaughter. OUCH!!! I said it. Don't flame me. Logically, horse slaughter would contribute to the improvement of the breed by eliminating inferior horses from the gene pool. We have (as a breed) far too many "pet" quality horses. Therefore, the price of those (and average quality) horses is extremely low. If large numbers of those were eliminated, the prices of the better quality horses would rise as many of them would be in demand as "pets".

DO NOT TAKE ME WRONG. I am not advocating that you must send your beloved pets to slaughter. BUT, you must be able to recognize the difference between the emotional bonding with a pet and the business aspect of IMPROVING the breed and RAISING prices.

Gosh....this "price thing" has been around forever. I still firmly believe that those breeders who have taken the care to breed well have no issues with selling thier horses.

My mares are not all bred each year, in fact, in the past several years only one or two a year have been bred by my own choice. I have kept most of the few I foaled, as my own personal choice. In '03 I chose to sell one of three and did so easily, good price and great home. Turned down their request to buy one of the fillies and two of my mares
default_wub.png
: In '04 no foals, as planned. In '05, one foal....sold at 3 weeks to an excellent home, excellent price....and the buyer is waiting for my mares to foal this summer for another (yep, I may have 5 this year :new_shocked: ).

My mares (ok, stallions tooooo!!) know that they will retire here! Of the last 3 horses I bought, two were stallions & one of those was a previously owned one, turning 22 next month. He's still very breeding active, proven to be a wonderful producer of refined (usually small), quality horses, and he's never going to move again. Yep, he returned "home" (part of my sales agreement when he was sold several years ago...and, yes, the clause was important, honored and used).

Guess I hit the jackpot -- tomorrow I will be one of 1200 babyboomers turning 60.......I have never had a problem selling my animals when I wanted to sell them.........I have been fortunate that good homes were found & have had many repeat buyers. I feel my stock is good, judges have confirmed this; if they are not the quality producers I want, they just live here and become pasture ornaments. AND my favorites are the tiny ones. :bgrin

While on a MUCH smaller scale, I have to say the same thing as Tony. For me this was my best year ever! I sold all 8 of my foals that I had for sale, before they were weaned, and at what I considered great prices. I think that word of mouth, repeat buyers, and my website.... for new buyers, all contribute.......as well as my love for tiny colorful nice horses :) And I love taking pics of my horses, so I take thousands..... and get a few good ones! :)

Susan O.

When I first got into minis in 1985, prices were good and I started in business with them. Bred and showed for many years and got good prices, now as you say, it seems they have gone down the drain in many areas of the country......not all.........but some. We are getting to retirement and I'm not showing or breeding any more but I still have 13 here. I will sell gradually until I get down to a more reasonable number as senior citizens and the bad winters we have here in New England. We also like to travel a bit in the summer with our truck camper and that means horse help for the minis at home. Our mini doxie goes with us. And 13 is a lot to leave for folks to do. I know every one will have different ideas on pricing so you should get a lot of answers.

Joyce

I've had minis since 1991. I have seen prices fall but I think it's fallen to more realistic prices. I have to agree with all those who said, "a quality horse always sells for a good price" and I have to agree. I am a small farm (aka backyard breeder as my minis are in my backyard) and have three broodmares. I do breed all three to my own stallion. I have spent many years upgrading to the breeding stock I have now. They are quality horses. I typically have 1-2 foals a year. They always sell within a week. On the occation I've sold adult horses- on average they sell in 5 days. I've had pets too- every breeder will have pet quality. I've either gelded or strongly recommended gelding the horses that are not high quality (or recommended not breeding in case of a mare). Even my pet geldings fetch a good price. But I work from day one with them and by the time they are weaned and ready to go they generally have been worked on the halter and lead, tying, doing hooves, loading and trailering, some tricks and they enjoy interactions with people.

But then again we breed for a very specific market- black blanket and leopard appaloosa minis that are refined and carry proven bloodlines. We don't show- or do so rarely. We market ourselves via our website and various internet ads and an occational paper ad or magazine ad. We tried a new program this year- taking deposits (non refundable with gaurentees) on in-utero foals for 2006. I wasn't sure how it would go but all four mares were reserved within two weeks. Three mares have waiting lists. Atleast four people have asked to send deposits on our 2007 foals (holding off on that till we see how 2006 goes). People are screened first- its not who sends a check first. I think the program offers the resulting foals at very reasonable prices. I'm in Mass. and I have reservations from people in AL, CA and WY.

I guess my opinion is that yes, the market has dropped, but it's become more reasonable. Around here if you buy a $500 mini at auction usually there are faults or no papers or something that will reflect the price. There are a few bargains to be had but more often than not when I've gone to auctions and you get a cheap priced horse- what you get is reflected in the quality or circumstaces of lost paperwork.

Tammie

If prices are low it's for a reason. Many times they are WAY too high !

Last edited:

I just wanted to say that some people are asking WAY too much for their minis which to me are "average".

I visited a website with minis for sale that are nice but not exceptional and they wanted $5000-7000. Give me a break !

Well you know what they say If somebody wants to give that much "There is a Fool Born Every Minute"

Made Ringling Brothers Barnum & Baily very rich knowing there are people out there like that..

The prices of minis at one time were high, but they were a novelty and if we look back not exactly what we breed for now! The high end quality minis still bring in respectable numbers in the many thousands of dollars. I don't see that market affected at all.

Honestly, I do believe there is a perception that there are tons of minis for sale, as we see them on the sales board or on the Internet. I don't see lots for sale here, maybe one ad at a time in the regional papers, never in the local paper. Many of the sales are breeder to breeder in the higher end market anyway. Very few 'newbies' will start out with their first mini and pay a few thousand dollars for a good quality mini. I try to educate people that way - if there goal is a pet, buy one, if there goal is showing - buy that, breeding, etc.

Some areas seem to be afflicted with dumping at auctions by breeders, and overbreeding anything, more than others. Here there are maybe 2 or 3 breeders that I would warn someone away from completely (puppy mills), others I may dislike, but I won't talk bad about them to buyers.

I've been selling minis for about five years now, and out here (California) pet prices are generally $500 +/-. I should say pet prices - not necessarily pet quality. I sell some at that (usally special case, packages or the perfect home), but generally sell as pets non breeding mares or colts in the $1000-1500 range. I haven't seen the prices change much. Other's we sell go from $1,500-6,500 depending on the horse. I'm not horrendously picky about homes for the minis, but if I feel at all funny about the deal, they don't go!

Maybe not the best business practice - but I'm not selling boxes.

We also have a large 'pet' group of minis we have here. All the oldies, my first minis - one mare all of her babies, so our 'pet' group is well into the teens in numbers. I won't dump a horse and believe me have a few that I would gladly give away, but I'm not dumping them because they have issues. If the right home comes along, then they'll go, otherwise they're here.

Latest posts

Back