price of trimming?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty per horse - full sized or miniature. He is great with the horses, fast and no monkeying around. He'll come whenever called - he's the best farrier I have had yet!
aktion033.gif

Our new farrier charges $30.00 for the first mini and $10.00 for each additional, I currently have 5.

He has to drive quite a ways to get here, but it's worth it, he made TREMENDOUS progress with our gelding who foundered.

It's sometimes hard to get him out when I need him too, like right now I'm put off 8 days...so I'm going to try to get him to set a next trim date BEFORE HE LEAVES!!

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
My farrier is a sweetheart!!!
wub.gif
he charges 20.00 a head..drives 30 mile round trip...sooo good with the horses..he even said Scooter is one of his best foals he trims....he is even doing corrective trimming on him..and his wife calls to remind me what day he is coming...

My current farrier only charges $15 for the minis. He charges $25 for the QH. He lives about 80 miles away so doesn't like to come up for less than 5. He's a nice guy but my horses don't care for him much. My donkey hates him! He is also unreliable. He sets up an appointment and then never shows, never calls. Once in a while he'll call that he is running late then shows up 8 hours later than he said he would. Notice I did say CURRENT.......I'm shopping for a new one.

Our farrier charges $20 a horse, whether big or small. He's from about 100 miles away and just puts us on his list and comes every 8 weeks. He's great with all the horses and, most importantly, shows up when he's supposed to. We've had him for about 6 years now.

Well for our riding horses its $50 for a re-shoe and $80 for new shoes. He trims Katie evry six weeks for a cup of coffee!!! Its so great and he does and awesome job. Great Farriers are a dieing breed these days.

I am definitely living in the wrong part of the country (Colorado)!

My ferrier charges me $45 for trimming, whether its for a mini or a large horse. He also charges $90 for shoes on a large horse and when I asked about putting shoes on one of my minis that gets stone bruises he wanted $100+. So I bought some glue on shoes and do them myself, of course they still cost me $45 just to buy the shoes.

It's a good thing I don't have too many horse (3 large and 3 mini), I'd be broke jsut on trimming bills alone.

I guess I found a good one...Just had him out last week and he only charged $10 per mini...he was GREAT with my two weanling fillies...he took almost an hour just working with them. Also called him on Monday and he was there Tuesday night.

I have a great farrier and he only charges $12 to trim. He's a master farrier and is always on time. I just love him.

I've had the same farrier for the past 10 years or so. She charges $ 15 per head , big or small, from one horse to 10 (which is what I have). She is so good with the horses, even my shy gelding she can convince. I hope she never retires, cuz it seems I'm getting a great rate !!
yes.gif

$25 big or small, only does a minuim(sp?) of 3 horses.. won't do only 1.. we have 5, that’s $125 every 2 months.. not bad
yes.gif
my dad wanted to save $ one year & he did trims him self (& he done EVER thing with horses, & is a great horse person) & our horses & minis feet were Horrible! they could hardly walk!
new_shocked.gif
that was after 3-4 months of trimming 3 years ago, when my mom was ill & we couldn't be in the barn to keep an eye on things... feet are nothing to play with! I think ferriers(sp?) are the greatest people! Thank God for 'em!!
yes.gif

My farrier is pretty reasonable...............he charges a hug and a kiss
yes.gif

He is such a good farrier I MARRIED HIM lol
wub.gif

Actually, Frank just went up on his mini trim fees from $12 to $17 per head, but he really only will trim the client show horses now. Just no time or energy to go running all over the state anymore.

Charlotte

p.s. actually, that is how I met Frank.......someone recommended him to trim my daughter's little shetland (32") because I was having so much trouble with farriers twisting her legs up so high she reared. Frank came, sat on the ground and trimmed her.........it was love at first sight
yes.gif
wub.gif

We finally found the greatest farrier after two years of disasters. He and his wife are a team and while he does all the work she always looks over each job and critiques it. He is incredibly gentle and does a wonderful job. Best of all he is the cheapest farrier we have ever had at $10 a head. He lives two miles from us and I couldn't be more pleased with his performance.

Good luck on finding a good farrier. It is, in my opinion, one of the most important details to owning a miniature. The search for a good farrier can be hard, but once you find one it is worth all the headaches!

Around here prices range from 10 - 12 - 15 for a trim depending on the farrier. Shoeing for the shetlands is a whole nother ball game.

my two dwarves cost more to trim.. they have to lie down for the farrier to work on their feet. Special needs - equilox on some feet and other special treatment. Cost varies according to what needs to be done for that day's work.

The farrier I use is extremely reliable and has always been patient and does an excellent job. He calls ahead if he is running late.. a Jewel for sure. He charges the $15 and he is worth it.

JJay

Just had my farrier out saturday. he charges $20 a horse big or small, founder what ever.

But this time he trimmed 4 minies and 2 arabs and only charged me $100? Not sure why...Once he trimmed my arab and only charged me for 2 hooves LOL said the other 2 really didn't need it.

He is the best, comes with in a week. On time ,wonderfull with horses and always has some horse jokes to tell us. He will not pull punches and tells you just what he thinks of all your horses so you better have a thick skin. LOLWhen he say Ace for the frist time he said WOW:)))

Oh and he family are very good friends of our family for 24 years.

Once he was out trimming for me and our then 7 and 4 year old dauthers were fighting over who got to hold my old arab mare they both rode. So he gave my the 4 year old dauther a little black pony who was very badly founder because he knew he would see him every 4-6 weeks and that he'd be loved to death
wub.gif
Ol Pepper. My husbund told him very time he came to trim him it was our payment plan.. then $13.. maybe that pony wasn't free
laugh.gif

I pay $14 a trim, per horse, but to make it easier and nice for my farrier I round up to $15...and because I suck at adding 14 more than twice haha =) I love my farrier, he is a great guy and is great with my horses!

I pay $10.00 per mini as long as I do all of them the same day and I'm in CT.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back