Prevail dosage?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supercilious

Reaction score
I got a 100cc bottle of Prevail last year when my big riding mare had colic to keep on hand in case she ever did it again.

I have a 31 inch very refined mini mare, probably weighs around 200# What would the dosage for her be? I am guessing 2cc...She is acting a bit colicy, stretching out with front and back feet far apart then laying down looking at her belly, no thrashing or rolling sweat etc...She is about 2 months bred & she aborted her 3 month fetus last year, so I am afraid that is what could be happening. Of course it's Sunday and no vet available.....

Prevail is a trade name for Flunixin Meglumine or Banamine. Dose for most conditions is 1cc/100# IM, IV, or PO once or twice daily.

Dr. Taylor

2cc tops. And NEVER give in the muscle! EVER. also, banamine won't help anything but ease pain and bring down fevers caused by specific things. Actually its really bad for their stomachs. Try putting a sheet in the dryer, and putting it on her belly, getting her to drink a lot (2 packets of a super flavorful oatmeal in a 3 gallon bucket of lukewarm water does wonders) and walk her. Other therapies go a lot further than you think. I hate using banamine! Use it as a last resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also give the liquid Prevail/Banamine orally. 1cc per 100 lbs.

Back