Pretty sure he's a dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2198lindsey

Reaction score
After numerous hours of research, talking to expirienced mini breeders, and about four vets, I've come a conclusion. My mini, Elliot, with his long body and large bone, being cow-hocked and the way his front legs turn out so far, is a dwarf.

000_00221_zpsaf35d553.jpg
000_00242_zps173017a3.jpg

I think you are correct Linsdey. Thanks for the photos. Yes, from seeing these photos, there is no doubt in my opinion, that he is that type of dwarf. BUT, that is no reason to not be able to enjoy him as a pet. This said however, he will not make a good performance horse...not good for driving, jumping etc., and I don't think you should lunge him as it would cause far too much stress on his deformed legs, causing him severe pain. Now I also need to say, that the type of dwarf he is, is by far the healthiest overall of the types we know of, so that is a "plus".

Dwarf or not he's a cutie! He would be a great pasture pal for another mini should you decide to get one. That face just begs to be loved
default_smile.png

Look up Achondroplasia dwarfs. I have pictures of two young colts in my gallery who were achondroplasia dwarfs, but more severe due to their leg deformities compared to yours.

I couldn't tell by the picture or not to be sure, but if you have mares I would encourage you to geld your boy if he isn't already.

I was loved by a dwarf for seven years, never regretted one minute of it. Although he will have special needs he deserves to be loved and will certainly bring you such joy. Actually he's not that bad so should give you many years to love him.

Thanks everyone! I've only had him for about a week and he's already stolen my heart! He is currently living with an appendix gelding and a paint mare and he is scheduled to be gelded in two weeks due to the fact that we don't need little half miniature half regular sized horses running around! He's a ball of personality and has given me a run for my money already with some of his little ways. I adore him and am looking into the little magic shoes or something of the sort just to help correct his fron legs enough so he can do a little more. I'm also looking into possibly him becoming a therapy animal at a local place. I will definitely be posting updates as I'm interested in how this adventure is going to turn out.

He is cute and what a cute face!!! Having a dwarf is nothing to be sad about! He looks like he loves you and you love him! He will give you many years of fun and devotion! Have fun with him!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

He is cute and what a cute face!!! Having a dwarf is nothing to be sad about! He looks like he loves you and you love him! He will give you many years of fun and devotion! Have fun with him!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine
Oh not at all! I was mainly concerned for his health over anything, but since he is not a severe case my worries are definitely less and he is definitely in the right place
default_smile.png

I was loved by a dwarf for seven years, never regretted one minute of it. Although he will have special needs he deserves to be loved and will certainly bring you such joy. Actually he's not that bad so should give you many years to love him.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The stigma about dwarves seems to be going away with the amount of education and openness on the subject. I'm happy about that.

Thanks everyone! I've only had him for about a week and he's already stolen my heart! He is currently living with an appendix gelding and a paint mare and he is scheduled to be gelded in two weeks due to the fact that we don't need little half miniature half regular sized horses running around! He's a ball of personality and has given me a run for my money already with some of his little ways. I adore him and am looking into the little magic shoes or something of the sort just to help correct his fron legs enough so he can do a little more. I'm also looking into possibly him becoming a therapy animal at a local place. I will definitely be posting updates as I'm interested in how this adventure is going to turn out.
Its nice to hear that you're bonding well with him, getting him gelded, and have plans for him.

I would suggest you contact Janell Jensen. I'm not sure if her "Magic Shoes" could help him due to his age but it doesn't hurt to contact her.

Definitely an achondroplasia dwarf, but what a beautiful boy he is
default_smile.png
we had one for 7-8 yrs and then a very good friend took her and a buddy for their kids to play with. She is still doing great-zero health problems as of yet. They bring her in to have her legs checked but so far so good. She is a funny little thing-rules the roost
default_smile.png
Lots of luck with your new guy!

eta: saw your post about having him with "biggies". Please be very careful. I always strongly urge people to keep their minis away from the bigs. A playful kick to the side could kill him and with his bad back legs, he will not be as fast as he could be if he were to need to get away. Just something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's a dwarf. I think he just has a large head and his conformation is out of whack. Doesn't necessarily put him in the dwarf catagory. Whatever he is, he sure looks like he's found a good mommy in you. Enjoy him, love him and best wishes with him. He's a doll.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The stigma about dwarves seems to be going away with the amount of education and openness on the subject. I'm happy about that.

Its nice to hear that you're bonding well with him, getting him gelded, and have plans for him.

I would suggest you contact Janell Jensen. I'm not sure if her "Magic Shoes" could help him due to his age but it doesn't hurt to contact her.
Thank you so much I'll make sure to
default_smile.png
I am just worried with how far out they are that he's in more pain than I think and that any amount of correction will help.

The only reason that he wasn't gelded earlier is because the idiots who owned him before me (who have never even seen a horse in their life, let alone a mini) were planning on breeding him
default_thud.gif

Definitely an achondroplasia dwarf, but what a beautiful boy he is
default_smile.png
we had one for 7-8 yrs and then a very good friend took her and a buddy for their kids to play with. She is still doing great-zero health problems as of yet. They bring her in to have her legs checked but so far so good. She is a funny little thing-rules the roost
default_smile.png
Lots of luck with your new guy!

eta: saw your post about having him with "biggies". Please be very careful. I always strongly urge people to keep their minis away from the bigs. A playful kick to the side could kill him and with his bad back legs, he will not be as fast as he could be if he were to need to get away. Just something to think about.
He's never turned out with them for that reason, one has already proved he's not welcome and he is definitely seperated at all times because they both have shoes and him being so young is in everyone's space all the time. Thanks for the tips and everything!

I don't think he's a dwarf. I think he just has a large head and his conformation is out of whack. Doesn't necessarily put him in the dwarf catagory. Whatever he is, he sure looks like he's found a good mommy in you. Enjoy him, love him and best wishes with him. He's a doll.
This could be true also, he'll be going to the vet and a mini clinic soon so maybe someone can shed the light on the truth of it all! Either way, he has and thank you
default_smile.png

Achondroplasic, but not badly affected. It is (or was before the American invasion!
default_whistling.gif
) the commonest form of dwarfism in the UK but I would not say it is the "mildest" form- maybe because I have seen a lot of severe Achondroplasics and not that many Brachiocephalics (yet) I feel this way but I think this boy, complete with his "ballet position " front and rear has a pretty good life ahead. I would consult with a remedial farrier, but I do not think there will be much, if anything, you can do about his legs as they are a basic conformational fault, born with them and I would think has to live with the, The Magic Shoes work wonders if the hoof turns over or under, but I am not sure they will help in this case as his feet look to be in pretty good shape...

Welcome to the Forum, where the only criteria is that the horse is loved, not what it looks like!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed your age OP, most definitely kudos to you on your research. It takes a certain kind of person to realize that something doesn't look right and actually an open enough mind to research it and accept the findings.

Latest posts

Back