pregnant mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

I have an overweight mare that I swear is prego.... but our stallion was gelded over 1 1/2 years ago.
default_wacko.png
I know I have posted this before , but I am so puzzled by her. Because she is very overweight I have taken he completely off grass, and have reduced her hay intake by 1/2. I am fiving 1 1/2 or less flakes in the morning for 2 small horses and a donkey ...and the same at night. so total 3 flakes a day for 3 horses, 2 are under 36 inches and the donkey is about 12 hands. The 2 other horses have lost weight and look good right now, but she keeps bulking up. The weight is in the lower part of her tummy, like below her ribs. and she has 2 pouches in front of her teets...Is this a pregnancy, in about the 8th , or 9th month? Its been 3 weeks of this diet , and you would think she would start to drop a little weight. If she is prego , am I going to hurt the baby by giving her just hay? I have a vet comming out today to do a pregnancy test with blood work , and to check her thyroid. Is there anything else I should have him check for? She had a mild case of laminitis 2 weeks ago or so , and he will also x-ray her feet to look at the coffin bone . If she is prego, then what next for the gelding ?? can I test him for a sperm count? Is this the vets fault? Do I have to re geld him at my cost? I saw the ver geld him , and he took out both testicles, and there were no complications...I just dont understand what is going on. I have photos from Feb. on to July, taken of her every month , and from the month of May on (june and july) she has really gotten big. Will this help the vet visually determin what is going on with her? these photos were all taken 1 month apart? if anyone would like to see them I have them posted on my facebook profile ...at Kristen Torkington

Krissy,

An overweight mare will have pouches before their bag area. It's fat collecting there. 3 weeks is not enough time to tell if a severly overweight horse is loosing. I would wager more like 6-8 weeks before you see hard evidence. And you must remember you see her everyday, so you are too close to the problem and only have the severly overweight image in your brain.

If you want faster results, separate her from the other two. Give her 1/2 flake of hay (figure out what she should weigh and weigh your hay to be 1.1% of her ideal weight, same with grain).

I would guess with her, she is the boss and if they are losing weight and she isn't, she is eating her share and part of theirs too. You might need to totally separate her to feed her.

mystery somewhat solved... I had an excellent vet here today , and he spent a lot of time with me , and testing Quelly. Good news is that she did not founder, or have laminitis. the farrier just really screwed up her feet , and cut her soles way too short. the feet look good now, so the new Farrier has done a good job.She has no pain in her feet, so I got the thumbs up to exercise her in the round pen. He also thinks she looks pregnant , and we both agreed to do a basic blood pannel for hormone levels , and metabolism , thyroid etc, and the pregnancy test. I will know what I am dealing with in a few days. This vet was awsome, I am relieved that he was here for us.

Oh good, sounds like you are on the right track here. I almost bet the bloodwork will show low thyroid or she may be IR.

I have a couple though that I swear inhale their feed, and one that just picks. She is the slowest eater. If they are suckling foals, she will be the first to start dropping weight if she is out with the others. She just doesnt get enough.... so that might contribute to the situation too.

A couple of years ago I thought my little mare had had a miraculous conception too. Nope....she was just fat and IR.

It could be that she isnt getting ENOUGH to eat. Thats not much food at all for 3 horses, one of which is more of a pony.

I am glad you had the blood work done. My guess would also be insulin resistence (IR). That would explain those fat pockets that I know so well. Keep us posted!

yea , according to the vets , I am feeding too much , and thats only 4 flakes a day for 3 ponys , at the most... It doesnt seem like a lot to me , especially when we get those cold snaps. It was 80 degreese 2 days ago , and last night it snowed ....all of them are double wrapped in fleace and in blankets, and in a stall. I bet it is the IR too, she has fat pockets all over, but a rock hard tummy. nothing will get pass this series of tests.... and now I have the OK to lunge her again. The vets here say to give very little food , and we feed only good quality hay.. no grain , suppliments, etc.. The grass is so good here they dont need it , just a mineral block , and in the winter a little grain to keep them warm , and circulation going .All my horses are easy keepers. will let all of you know when the test comes back monday.

I'd guess IR to be more likely too. I have some little mares you would absolutely think are pregnant...but they haven't been near a stallion in several years. Took 3 of them off grass maybe 6 weeks ago, and I am just beginning to see a difference in them. Still fat, but the ripples and rolls are diminishing LOL. They get only a small handful in the morning of a pelleted feed mixed with beet pulp, cinnamon, and a little hay twice a day.

Jan

putting a mare on a diet is major " tough love " so is the muzzle. Everyday someone asks me why I have that "thing 2 over the horses mouth, and I have to explaine to our guests " do you see that hippo out there ....."

Anyway, I think I see a difference in her , she looks less "rippley" but still has the pointed belly and baggs....I am curious to get those results back.

Am curious to hear the results too... keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back