Pregnant mare Care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
I have a little mare who is supposed to be pregnant. I've had her 2 months. She is due July/August so I am told.

She has had 3 foals previously but I have NEVER had a pregnant mare. She is an excellent mother. Her filly came with her and is being weaned at the moment. They have been separated for a month.

What should I be doing to try to ensure her well being?

Read up about foaling and do everything you can to assure she has an attended birth. That hour of birth is when the most tragic things can occur to mare, foal, or both. More so than malnourishment or proper foal handling.

How exciting for you!! If you click on the MareStarers/Barn cam Watchers Chat forum on here we would love to have you and your little mare join us. Lots of new babies being born over the next few weeks and all the help and info that you will need to care for your mare and to get that new baby safely on the ground.
default_yes.gif

Make sure that during the last 3 months she gets some type of a supplement/concentrate. You could give a complete sweet feed or a complete pellet, or even a grass pellet. It doesn't have to be a lot, just as a snack or nutritional supplement. I am just giving Niobe alfalfa pellets mixed with rolled oats as a snack. I used to soak pellets during the last 3 months, but my mares get lots and lots of grass now. You don't want them to be overweight going into the delivery, but underweight can be harmful because of the calories that are lost in delivery and lactation. Make sure she has lots of sunlight, fresh water, a mineral salt lick, and preferably free access to a dry lot where she can go in and out as she pleases. I believe Spring grass is a very important element for a pregnant mare and a healthy foal. If she is not used to grass start her out 5-10 minutes of grazing for several days and work your way up. She could be worked up to 2 hours of grass a day and then you can cut hay and grain way back. I think the most important thing for a mare is not to be stuck in her stall. She needs lots of room to walk around and roll and get sunlight. I really believe space to roam can help position the foal. A deworming schedule is important! I think the most important thing is to be there. From day 300 on start to stay home. After 320 don't leave her if at all possible. If you do leave have someone else stay and watch. I'm very blessed to be a stay-at-home mom and I will miss events because I feel so strongly that I must be there. I will check mine every 2 hours throughout the day and night when they are close. Sometimes I won't leave them. That is where having a camera system and several other methods of observation would rock!

I agree with Tab. The last 3 months are the most important with feeding supplements. Green grass is also an excellent source of nutrients, just make sure it's not fescue grass. And not being stuck in a stall is vital. Our mares are out daily on a grassy area off the barn which we rake regularly, so if by chance they lay down and foal in the daytime, it's actually cleaner than closed in a stall.

If you don't know her medical history, it may be wise to vaccinate her with a 5-way shot about a month before her earliest due date. Do your homework about pregnant mares, foaling, etc. Our website includes "health pages" that cover everything WE do. It also includes a Foaling Kit and lists a number of "signs" that mares show when they are getting close.

Like Tab, we do the every 2 hour check....and having a camera monitoring system IS a godsend.

Latest posts

Back