pregnant mare acting strange

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thumps as such may be no cause for alarm, but if the thumps occur as a result of hypocalcemia it is definitely an emergency situation. A mare with hypocalcemia will be dead within 48 hours--and by the time the thumps make their appearance, the horse will be well into the hypocalcemic condition.

We had one mini mare with hypocalcemia; initially she appeared to have general symptoms--she was lethargic, not interested in feed--we first thought it was colic, then when banamine did nothing for her we thought perhaps she was coming down with a viral infection. A bit into it she was clenching her teeth, then appeared to be going into labor (she was 2 weeks short of her due date). When that didn't progress I called the vet (I realized by then that she wasn't in labor, this was something else--her 'contractions' were just muscle spasms. The vet said to just watch her & see what happened--so that is what she did. This was late the one evening. By 7 the next morning she was worse--severe muscle spasms, and she had thumps. You didn't see her shaking with her heart beat, but her body would contract & jerk with the contraction & resulting THUMP of her diaphram. I called the vet back and he sent one of the other vets out. She'd never seen hypocalcemia in a horse but was well familiar with it in dairy cattle--hypocalcemia, also called eclampsia, is rather common in dairy cattle--and so made a good guess that our mare had hypocalcemia. She had to go back to the clinic for calcium--returned & gave 40 cc IV--after 30cc had gone in the mare's muscle spasms stopped completely and just like that she was back to her normal self, bright & alert, and hungry. She did not relapse, and did not need to have any more calcium.

From onset of symptoms to 7 am the next morning would have been about 17 hours and an additional 2 hours to the time when the calcium was administered. She most certainly would not have lasted another 24 hours--with a severe calcium deficiency, muscles cannot operate properly, and since the heart is a muscle, when the deficiency gets bad enough the heart will malfunction. That is what kills the horse.

Update from the vet--Spirit is going to make it!!!! All of her bloodwork is back to normal except one area and there is huge improvement there as well. She is eating and acting like a real horse again. I don't know when she gets to come home but she DOES get to come home!! Thanks for all your prayers. And a special thanks to miniv who was the first to respond to my post. If they had not suggested hyperlipidemia I never would have had the first vet draw blood and I know we would have lost her. I truly believe this forum saved her life and the life of her baby. Thank you so much!

GREAT NEWS!!!! Now praying for a safe foaling and healthy baby!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back