Pregnant in December

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here we have babies in April - May and sometimes still are having winter.
Yes, but that is spring, with the weather warming...not getting colder.

No one wants a foal born in November; it is just too hard on them.

I disagree with that statement. A lot depends on your location and weather that time of year as well as your facility and set up in case of inclement weather. I've had foals born in October and November and they did great. In fact, here in Oklahoma, that's a great time of year to have them. The weather is mild and no flies.
I KNEW as I wrote that that someone from the south would "correct" me
default_smile.png
...but in the area that this poster lives, I assumed they would have cold winters like many of us.
default_yes.gif

I want to thank everyone for your information. It is most helpful, especially knowing that a lot of people have already been through these processes and have experienced both the pros and the cons. Usually we have a fairly mild winter here, but last year was most horrid. I do stall the little horses every night in a barn. I didn't get my vets called this morning again, but plan on talking to one of them tomorrow. I want to see about testing her first before putting her through anything, but don't have any experience with the testing. Again, thanks for all your help. I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas. AND YES, I separated them again just to be on the safe side if this time didn't take, I won't make that mistake again (LOL).

I did use Lutalyse a few years ago in the fall when the stallion accidentally got out with a mare I didn't want bred and I for sure didn't want a fall baby (worst time of year for me for mare stare, with my schedule I just couldn't handle it). My only advice, if you do use the shot this time of year- the mare will most likely sweat, so be prepared with a cooler or blanket and a sheet. I would also plan to give electrolytes for a few days afterward.

Hi Kim, when you used the Lutalyse, what symptoms did she display and how long did it last? This little girl is such a sweetheart, and I want to do what's best for her.

l would first make sure she was really in foal before getting in a panic on deciding on what to use to get rid of it..we have used the lutalyse on a mare only once we wanted open she had the sweats and a lot of cramping for about an hour and so before it let up..we also discovered later in the spring that the same stallion she was with wasn't getting any mares settled so had him tested with a sperm count in only the thousands so came to the conclusion the mare we gave the shot to probably was never in foal to begin with. For me l don't see much differance in foaling out a mare in Feb/March which can often be much colder here then Nov/Dec. l like them early myself so they can be weaned while there is still a few months of long warm nights and plenty of green pasture before frost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to see about testing her first before putting her through anything
Chances are, if you wait till it is far enough to test for, it is too late for the shot. I have used it in the past to bring a mare into season for breeding, and all the mare did was slightly sweat, and act crampy for maybe half an hour. When you know the cause, there is no reason to worry about any serious colic etc...as it is simply a reaction to the shot...nothing more. Just walk her to help her cope with the cramps if you want...that is pretty-much it. Heck, 30 minutes of crampiness and sweats if far easier on her than the potential of having to go into labour in the midst of winter. Think she won't have sweats and cramps then???

Were it me, I would give the shot just because of her age, if nothing else. I recall a young lady who used to be here on the forum...who had a two year old mare bred by accident and everyone was "all over her" about having the shot given to her mare; while I don't agree with how it was approached with her, I definitely agreed with a baby not having a baby. While there are some who breed two year olds, but they are not the norm, and I am very much against it myself.

It happens. Happened to us in Oct for a Sept '05 foal. I thought the mare had already settled earlier in the year. Think of how much artificial light horses get in captivity. Cycles are photosensitive. Most of us don't get out to do evening chores until after dark. We have the barn lights on for an extra hour or more.

I agree, and we did put up an outside sensor light on the barn this year, possibly this is the problem. The light doesn't come on much, but could be just enough. I talked again to the vet today, and she wasn't concerned about her age, just the fact that she is small. Either decision I choose, there can be complications. And, she said that if I wait to do a pregnancy test, that aborting the baby would possibly be harder on the little horse. When I checked her today, she is still in heat, which is strange, because the last time I notice her being in heat was in Oct. She shows her heat really well, and didn't show at all since Oct. until my little stallion got to her. Now, she is showing in heat! I would really be excited about the pregnancy if this was one year later. I'm going to think on it tonight and talk to the breeder I bought my horses off of, and call the vet back in the morning or Mon. morning. If I go with the abortion shot, then it will depend somewhat on the weather. I don't want anymore stress on her than is necessary. Thanks for your post, I appreciate everyone writing in on it.

You have to wait two weeks or so before you can give the shot. I've given PG thousands of times to hundreds of mares, and never had anything more than an hour of cramping and sweating, usually a lot less.

I have had a mare foal late Nov and did not find a winter baby hard on anyone not myself or the mare and foal in fact I much prefer it.

Yes the actual birth was a bit trickier.. we had heated towels being run back and forth from the house but once the baby was dry he was extremely fluffy and they had plenty of outside excersice even with the snow.

So yes by now you know mares can be fertile all year round and for sure do the regumate it is MUCH better even that has side effects but once you know they only last about 45 min to an hour it is really not that bad

Thanks for the info. The vet wanted to know when the incident happened, and she said that when I call her, we will make an appointment; hopefully, she knows about the 2 weeks. The other vet is good, but she is an equine vet. The vet wants me to bring her there for the shot. I unplugged the outside sensor light tonight, only had it because I came within a couple of feet of stepping on a pigmy rattler last summer. Haven't seen anymore.........hope I never do again! It was dark and when I dumped out Bullet's water, the water landed right on top of the snake. Needless to say he got the shovel, wasn't much left when I got done with him. Just the thought of him being around my little horses made me madder than anything. Since then I have discussed what precautions to take for the horses and what to do in case of an emergency.

Latest posts

Back