Prayers needed for the folks of our area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
Our area has been hit very hard the last few days. I know Winona, MN got hit really bad and we were part of some of the relief effort in Rushford yesterday. Shannon's brother is a fireman here in town and he called to let us know that Rushford was under water and that if we knew anyone down there to check on them. Well, due to cell towers being full and no power or telephone lines we couldn't get through to them. They are an elderly couple so we loaded the truck with fresh water, sump pumps and headed down. There was one road that lead into town and that went right by their place. Luckily they were safe and she was very relieved to see us, about that time other friends started checking in. Two of them lost their homes. One commented in her text message that they were "Safe but sad, everything a total loss." Another had her home high and dry, but their Avalanche which was getting work done at the body shop was under water. She commented that it was "just a vehicle" and she had the right idea. Reports from them were that they got upwards of 13 - 16 inches in 24 hours. Made our 6 seem like nothing. I took a couple pictures from the car, but didn't take my camera when we walked towards uptown as it just seemed disrespectful to gawk at others suffering.

e80d9473.jpg

You can see the edge of town in this one.

e80d9438.jpg

another corn field

e80d8a7e.jpg

They had no time to grab anything. One guy we spoke with said they came around waking people up at 3:00 am and telling them to get out. He said at that point the water was halfway up the tires to his pickup. He went to wake the family and had them get dressed, looked out and the water was halfway up the sidewindow of his pickup. At that point people were taking to their roofs. I just can't even imagine that.

It was sad and scary to see, the Kwik Trip with ice machines floating and cars parked on main street with just their roofs showing, the fire department was about 6 feet deep in water and they were using those "swamp boats" with the big fans to drive around and rescue people. The folks we were helping said that they had heard a house blew up due to something with gas and electricity so the town had shut the power down. It was very scary, smelly and sad. Later I talked with a friend (who called to check on us) who had family and a stable in Houston. They were evacuating and we offered to help move horses as needed. She said they had it under control, but that town is devasted as well. Another lady that we trail ride with had been in Money Creek Campground at a bike (motorcycle) rally. They had to hoof it up the bluff to safety and she said people were taking to the trees and everything else to get above the rushing water. She knew a gentleman that drowned in a mobile home near Yucatan. Please keep the people who live in the area from Lanesboro to LaCrescent and beyond in your thoughts. Many of them woke up in strange homes with nowhere to go today.

We were lucky, our guardian angel watched over us. The creek is at it's banks and we had to rearrange horses out of the creek pastures to areas of higher ground. I just wish the rain would stop and give all of us a break right now so we can start cleaning up from the tragedy.

Links to newsstories

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1370974.html

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_231200018.html

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/te...=304473&z=2

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are with you, your friends, family and neighbors.

Having gone thru the November floods, loosing our world

last November, I know exactly what is happening in your community.

Your friend is on the right track about loosing her vehicle..it's just a

thing...as long as you don't loose people or pets, you can recover.

However, watching the news this morning about the flooding, it does

set my heart into race mode for everyone.

Wow, that is a lot of water! It is amazing how much devastation water can cause, either too little or too much. I'm glad your family, friends, and animals are all ok.

Prayers to all.....have been watching it on our MN t.v. stations(Rochester)....it is just devastating the damage that those are going through. I have been thinking about Marnie, Donna(Qtrrae) and Lisa at Runaway and all the others...not wanting to forget anyone, my mind is a blank right now. I think they don't live far from Winona area as they came to the Winona,MN show last year and we all met each other. Hope everyone is ok....

I know lots in WI were hit with heavy rains too and sure send them my prayers too .....we have had 5+'' in 24 hrs. here in north IA.....it is getting dangerous with the rivers...anymore rain and our towns will have major flood issues. Just praying it shuts off the rain and everyone stays safe. It is very sad to hear of any deaths.....those who perished in the floods ....we need to all say a extra prayer for them and their families.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the prayers guys. Our friends and neighbors here are going to need it.
default_pray.gif
:

Such an unfortunate situation! We are not just to far from the area but luckily we have been just fine. My thoughts are with everyone.
default_sad.png

Wow those are some scarey pictures! I did'nt know the rains were up towards the north...I had only heard about them in OK and the carribean. Looks like hurricane season is coming in with a vengeance. Please take care and be careful.

Nancy...I thought looking at those pics would take yor breath away some. It brings back memories does'nt it?
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back