Possible Knee Replacement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I was at the doctor this week. He's a Osteopathic physician. I have this injury that happend decades ago...I got kicked by a horse in the knee. That was back when I was bullet proof and immortal, ya know?? Anyway, it was never treated...and now it's giving me fits.

I've had some x-rays taken last year, and then this year. He said that I have arthritis in my knee. That it has degernerated "significantly" over the past year. He talked about options, but the one he recommends is full knee replacement. He is up on the latest technology, and puts in the most recently approved knee...so it won't be like the "barbie doll" knees that my grandmother had to cope with. She had no flexibility, and could not bend her knee more than a 45 degree angle.

I'm looking at either having fluid injected into my knee to replace the missing cartilidge, or arthriscopic surgery to scrape away the arthritis. The doctor feels that these would be temporary fixes, lasting me a few years, at best.

I'm only 51. I want to continue working with my horses and showing them. I want to continue belly dancing. I'm afraid that I won't be able to do those things with a full knee replacement. But then, can I really do them now?? Not without pain!

So, I come to you for advice. Should I do a temporary fix to last me a couple of years, and then do the replacement? Or should I just get it over with??

I appreciate any help I can get...

Kim R.

i still have my original knees but 7 years ago, i had both of my hips replaced. total joint replacement, i am now almost 57. i would suggest going for whatever will be a "permanent" fix. they told me my hips should last at least 15-20 years but i'm hoping they last the rest of my life, however long. best thing i ever did. the pain from the surgery/recovery could not hold a candle to the pain of osteoarthritis.

a big plus...i am faster than a speeding bullet and i can leap tall buildings in a single bound.
default_aktion033.gif

At 51 I had the arthroscopic clean up job done, they wanted me to try and wait because a knee replacement only lasts at the most about 15 years. I have arthritis pretty bad in my knee and well now all over, it is attacking my spine now. It only lasted for 6 months and then the pain was back. Couldn't have knee surgery replacement though until one year after the arthoscopic because easier for infections to set in. Boy I couldn't wait until that year was up, I was even driving with my other leg. (Turning sideways) that was how much pain I was in. When I went back I was becoming very knocked kneed in that on leg because I was bone on bone just grinding it down more and more.

My scar is not a pretty sight but the pain is gone and after the recovery and physical therapy it is so much better. Would I do it again. Yes. It still hurts some, seems to get colder almost like I can feel the metal in it. Not all of the nerves came back so on one side it is like mmmm numb but it doesn't tingle, feels like when you touch you cheek after the dentist has numbed it. But like I said I would do it again, and I may have to on my other one yet.

Let me know if you have any questions. It will be 2 years in June since I had mine done.

I had a total knee replacement 3 years ago and have had no problems at all. When I think of the years I went in pain I wish I had done it sooner! Arthoscopic on the knee only lasted a year or so and I couldn't do the things I wanted without the pain and the knee giving out.

I went for the total knee replacement and did all the physical therapy that was perscribed everything that I was asked to do. I can do everything I used to be able to do before, only held back by my age now not the knee!!

The best to you and your decision.

Gini

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kim,

I know exactly where you are coming from...I have had several surgeries since 1994 due to

osteoarthritis problems in various joints. This all started at the age of 39, I am now 53.

Five arthroscopic sugeries on both knees (3 on the left, 2 on the right) from 1994-2001

Two hip osteotomies-1998 & 1999

Left thumb joint completely removed 2002

Left knee total replacement in 2004

My left knee problems began showing up several years later after I was kicked by a milkcow as a young teenager.

The knee arthroscopic surgeries (for me) were short term fixes especially if your knee is almost bone on bone...most of the cartilage worn away. I had to have arthroscopies redone every 2 years.

I wanted to get the left knee replaced several years ago, but the ortho dr I had at the time was one of those that believed in not doing replacements on someone my age because I was too young. He said I would wear out the prosthetic too soon and would need to have the knee replaced a second time, which is not as stable as the first replacement. He wanted to wait until I was in my mid 60's.

I was in so much pain there was no way I could wait that long. I found a different ortho dr, he did the surgery and said the knee would not have lasted until I was in my mid 60's, as it was in terrible shape when he did the replacement...at the age of 49.

Have I regretted the knee replacement? NO WAY! The knee joint no longer has pain in it and it is wonderful to be mobile again. I would do it again if the pain got as bad as this one was pre-surgery.

I am able to show my halter horses just fine. I can help our mares foal when the need arises, etc.

I do have a limp...not so much from the surgery itself, I had so much scar tissue in the left knee from the previous 3 arthroscopies that the knee locked up after the replacement and would not bend past 30 degrees. They took me back to the operating room 6 weeks later, put me to sleep and had to physically bend the knee to break up the scar tissue that was holding back the bending ability. Once they got that broken loose I could bend the knee much better in physical therapy. What happened during that procedure (because they waited too many weeks to manipulate the knee)..the scar tissue was so hard when they bent my knee something else had to give. What gave were the muscles in my upper thigh, they tore the thigh muscles (from exerting so much pressure to release the scar tissue) and they never mended fully after that to the original strength.

Since the thigh muscles are now forever weak, I limp because of lack of strength in them. I do not have any pain, the muscle gets tired more quickly since they are not up to their full potential anymore. It is rare for the need (according to the ortho drs) to manipulate a knee after a replacement. I doubt you have to worry about that.

What I can't do since the replacement is...run at a fast rate, lift heavy objects, jump over obstacles (such as jumping classes at a horse show..which I never did anyway). Kneeling is a challenge...you do not want to kneel on the replaced knee on a hard surface. I use several heavy bath towels to put under my knee for a cushion when I am clipping horses. I find it challenging to operate the tractor clutch (since it takes more pressure to push on it than a car clutch), I have been advised by my dr no more jumping off of the tractor or gates. Basically no jumping period! You have to learn to ease yourself slowly to the ground, no sudden jolting on the knee.

I can no longer carry full five gallon buckets of water/ grain, etc. because of the stress and pressure it puts on the new knee and the weakness in the upper thigh. I fill my buckets 1/3-1/2 full and carry them that way...takes me longer with the extra trips, but my knees thank me for it.

My other advice is exercise, exercise, exercise those muscles as they will teach you to do in physical therapy after surgery.

You will be amazed how fast muscles can weaken without daily exercise.

Good luck and keep us informed of what you decide and how you are doing.

Steph

Just had it done 2 yrs ago this past December..I am being kind to myself a bit "hefty"
default_biggrin.png
So perhaps that's one reason my recovery took a while longer than most..but I found the Physical therapy was the answer,,

do exactly as they tell you! Keep at it..some that went in with me went home looking very spry and happy, ...I went home on a cane and in pain, but controllable pain.One can't have any major surgery and expect NO pain eh?

Now I rarely think about it, I don't twist me knee, or kneel, or run, but they already have new and better knees out there that rotate etc..so get all the right info through research..there's a wonderful forum I think on Yahoo forums..just go to the yahoo forum search and put in knee replacement..I cant remember the name, darn stroke, and i was on it a long time..its well worth getting on there! Do it before surgery..something about "On your feet" good luck! Maxine

I am the same age as you, had my right knee replaced at the end of June. I am still having pain, still taking pain meds but it is getting better. I didn't show at all this past year, still don't go down to the barn but I think I will be back at it come spring. Other people heal faster than me, my ortho doc feels it is the diabetes and I am sure my weight has something to do with it too.

Do what they say, do the therapy, take the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine home with you.

Do set up the potty with a higher seat and make sure you have a shower you can sit in and use a hand held showerhead for a while.

I went to a nursing home for the first 13 days after 4 days in the hospital. Had therapy every day, they were set up for bathing and potty and food since I couldn't fix food for myself at first. I can't say it was fun, but it was the best place for me to be at first.

Good luck! Do it soon so you can be recovered in time to show.

Thank you so much for the information. I think I am forming the list of questions the doctor asked me to have at our next visit. I am worried about recovery, because I am not a small woman, and I am pre-diabetic...so I think I'll call my GP today and ask for an appointment to talk to her about getting ready for it.

So, if you had it to do over again, and were making this choice, what questions would you have asked your doctor??

My husband shared with me last night that he's scared to death of surgery. I really think he doesn't understand about the constant pain I am having. No, it's not happening at night and keeping me awake, but it's constant, every time I bend my knee, or especially if I twist it somehow. There has been snow on the ground here in Idaho, and I am finding myself actually afraid of walking for fear of slipping on the ice. That's a first. THAT's what caused me to finally call and have the doctor refer me to the Orthopedic Surgeon.

I'm hoping my husband goes with me to my next appointment. I think when he sees the x-rays, he'll understand.

Kim R.

My mother in law (69) has horrible knees and we have been begging her to have the knee replacement done..

She can barely walk!

She is a big woman now, didnt use to be and doenst have much driv eto do alot! So I know she wont be running, or anything to hurt her knees if she gets them done.

She is finally considering it!! Thank G... I dont expect her to run a marathon but would like her to beable to walk and not wince in pain ALL the time...

She sits around all the time and doesnt get out much...

I understand she is in pain, then fix it!! I mean if i ever get in her spot I will have mine done cause I couldnt stand to not beable to go and do like I want!!

Good Luck on your surgery if you do it...

Kim, I think a lot of us on here that had the knee replacement done are not small women. Ok going to give out the baaddd information. I weighed in at 215 when I had it done and that was after I decided to have it done and lost 8 lbs. Doctor was hoping for more loss but that was the best I could do. My ortho doctor did say you can do anything you did before except do not ski or jog, too much on the knee and would wear it out quicker. You are also suppose to avoid slipping and slidding or mud. The stress on the knee. But with horses I told him that was hard to do. He just told me to be careful.

I would suggest one of the questions is Can I get a cryo cuff for my knee. That is a life saver to me for the swelling and get it when your in the hospital.....a lot of doctors you have to ask for it and usually it is covered by insurance. I didn't have the machine that moves you knee for you right after surgery, but you might ask if he does that, a lot of doctors do.

They usually have an example of what they are going to use for a replacement, ask to see that. There are several different types, I think I have one made by Bio-Met, bu there is one by Stryker and I think now there are even others.

I won't lie to you, it is going to hurt like the dickens for awhile, they will have you up and walking though that day if you have it in the morning. They usually have you on a moriphine drip for pain, you choose when to press the button. I didn't use it except for twice while there and that was before physical therapy so I could do it better, and that was at there advice. Everyones pain level is different so you may use it more. My roommate used up all of hers. Normally you are in the hospital about 4 days, then if no one is home to help you, you will go for awhile longer to re-hab facility. I went in on a Monday, got out Thursday, they came to my home Friday to start Physical therapy for 3 weeks then once I could drive I drove myself for 2 more weeks. My husband took Thursday & Friday off and then went back to work Monday and I did ok by myself then. I was able to drive after 3 weeks and return to work, but my job mainly is sitting. Now doing stuff at home with the horses took about 3 more weeks to get back to normal. I would advise if you don't have one to get a stationary bicycle. It helps a lot. The hardest thing was being able to get to the top and push that darn petal over. It took me a week, I could get it finally to the top but could not push it over, it was very frustrating.

Don't want to scare you but I have a picture if you want to see my knee after surgery. I think there was like 33 staples in it.

Latest posts

Back