Poor Little Pixie!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
We've had a bad thing happen to poor little Pixie! My cousin has this Great Dane that he rescued and I'd been nervous about introducing him to the horses. He is not an aggessive dog, however he come from the city and I'm sure has never been around horses and cows. Well, my cousin has one of those under ground fences on the way, but until then we borrowed a shock collar. My cousin has been working late (we live in the country right next door to each other) and hadn't been able to show me how to use this collar. My intent was for one of us to man the collar control and the other have him on a leash... not taking ANY chances on one of the horses getting hurt. For WHATEVER reason my cousin had this bright idea that he could take care of this himself Saturday evening. By the time I found out what had happened, it was all over with, but not without having Molly and Pixie tramatized and Pixie hurt!

John, my cousin, had never used this shock collar and didn't have it on right, obviously! Cause when the Dane took off after the horses (which I was sure would happen, which is why we borrowed the shock collar) and John went to shock him, it didn't work! He run poor little Pixie (only 3 months old) through the fence. Molly was right behind her. Molly did kick him a couple times. Needless to say, they both got out, with the Dane and John both right behind them. Luckily, the horses are faster than the Dane. John ended up tackling the Dane. He got the horses put back up and fixed the fence and then come and told me what happened. I immediately went to check on them. Well, they were so scared after that ordeal that they wouldn't even let me up to them. I could see that Pixie was bleeding, but she wouldn't let me get close enough to get a hold of her to doctor it. Finally, Sunday we were able to get them in the barn. I called my vet cause to me it looked like a nasty cut, however, it's not any deeper than a barbed wire. She said to keep it clean (I'm cleaning it with Bedadine) and keep an antibiotic ointment on it and to give her a tetnus shot. So that's what we're doing. Poor little girl. I've been so upset that they had to go through such an ordeal! I know they had to have been terrified! They've finally settled down over that horrible ordeal. Needless to say, Sampson does NOT go out unless he's on a leash and/or shock collar! He started to the barn and I cranked up that shock collar and nailed his butt! He yelped so it got his attention! He makes NO attempt what so ever now to go the direction of the barn, but I'm not taking any chances! And had I been aware of what went on the other night, no chances would have been taken then either.

I thought that the cut needed covered to keep dirt, gnats, flies out of it, but the vets office said to leave it uncovered. I tried wrapping an ace bandage around it but it's high enough on her shoulder that the bandage just rolls below the sore. Plus with the bandage on she limps real bad, where without it, she doesn't.

I'm keeping a close eye on it so that it doesn't become infected. Hope it doesn't take it long to heal up.
sad.gif

Many of us have horror stories we can share about dogs and our minis. Some dogs our own, some strays, some the neighbors. I'm so sorry Pixie was hurt. Keep an eye on the Dane now just like you are. Once they get a taste they can do it again. Keep cleaning the wound as you are but I would have the vet out asap. Insist on it. Dogs have germs and can cause infection from bites. This gives you the opportunity to get their shots and have them checked for injuries. The tetanus is so very important. Give em lots of hugs, I'm so sorry you all had to experience this. If you do a topic search here you will see too many stories. Tony of Lil America lost several of his babies to dogs, so many losses and injuries. Do be careful. I hope the dog has hsd it's shots also. Pixie and Molly are in my prayers.

Poor Pixie, hope she recovers soon. I'd have a few choice words to say to John though!

Maybe you ought to put the shock collar on your cousin for awhile. Animals need lots of time to get used to each other. Breaking a dog's natural desire to give chase isn't easy.

It's such a shame to see a baby terrorized. The Great Dane next door to me cleared our 5 foot fence a few times and chased one of ours...until I put a Llama and my Rott in there with her. Now he keeps his distance. We were lucky to not have anyone (but the Great Dane) ever end up hurt.

I hope poor Pixie is OK and doesn't end up flipping out every time she sees a dog from now on.

Dimimore said:
Many of us have horror stories we can share about dogs and our minis.  Some dogs our own, some strays, some the neighbors.  I'm so sorry Pixie was hurt.  Keep an eye on the Dane now just like you are.  Once they get a taste they can do it again.  Keep cleaning the wound as you are but I would have the vet out asap.  Insist on it.  Dogs have germs and can cause infection from bites.  This gives you the opportunity to get their shots and have them checked for injuries.  The tetanus is so very important.  Give em lots of hugs, I'm so sorry you all had to experience this.  If you do a topic search here you will see too many stories.  Tony of Lil America lost several of his babies to dogs, so many losses and injuries.  Do be careful.  I hope the dog has hsd it's shots also.  Pixie and Molly are in my prayers.
482837[/snapback]

Thank you, Debs! The cut is from the fence... it's not a dog bite. I'll stay on top of it. Sampson has had all his shots.

Thank you guys for your kind words. Shock collar for John... Hmmm, now that's an idea!

I have other dogs: A weenie dog, English bulldog and poodle. They don't bother the horses and the horses don't mind them. Granted they are all WAY smaller than a Great Dane.

John has an 11 month old Great Dane too... Duchess. She liked to irritate them by barking at them. Well, Molly put a stop to that real quick! Kicked her a couple times now Duchess is scared of both of them! Works for me!

I think the thing that has bothered me the most is knowing how fast their little hearts had to be beating. I know they had to have been just terrified!

Don't rely on a shock collar to train the dog. Too many people who have no real understanding of how to use one try it and (pardon the expression) screw things up royally for both dog and owner. Very few people have the consistancy and/or timing to use one properly. What a person very often end up with is a dog that respects the collar however the moment that it's off it reverts right back to its former behaviour.

Find a good trainer who KNOWS how to train/retrain dogs showing predetory behaviour and follow his or her advice to the letter. By turning the dog loose your cousin has done far more damage than what you have already seen. It'll be three times as hard to stop the chasing now than if it would have simply been kept on a leash and introduced properly.

Don't give up on the dog though. A good handler/trainer/owner combination can turn it around. I would also put a stop to ANY barking from the other Dane. Barking IS a form of aggression and although it may not escalate to other forms it very well could and often does.

I think your cousin needs to take a few obedience classes with his dogs.

I hope your little girl gets over all of this. It's so sad that gentle livestock has to pay for human stupidity.

Thank you guys for your kind words. Shock collar for John... Hmmm, now that's an idea!

I have other dogs: A weenie dog, English bulldog and poodle. They don't bother the horses and the horses don't mind them. Granted they are all WAY smaller than a Great Dane.

John has an 11 month old Great Dane too... Duchess. She liked to irritate them by barking at them. Well, Molly put a stop to that real quick! Kicked her a couple times now Duchess is scared of both of them! Works for me!

I think the thing that has bothered me the most is knowing how fast their little hearts had to be beating. I know they had to have been just terrified!

I am so sorry to hear about your little one's injury. I have recently discovered a fantastic medicine for cuts, scraps, tears, even dog bites. My vet just last week was telling me about a mini who was badly injured by a dog, and has recovered very nicely. The medicine is Underwood's. They have a website at http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/ if you would like to read up on it, and perhaps order some. What I like about it is that you don't have to do all the daily wound cleaning, in fact, they tell you not to. So makes it much easier. Also, in my use of it, it prevents the new hair coming back in from being white (unless of course it's supposed to be)

Rita

p.s. I've just read that it wasn't a dog bite after all. Oh, well, this stuff is great for everything. ACCORDING TO MY VET!!

Back