Poop question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
I have noticed that since I've started feeding my mini's hay their poop has changed. When there was grass their poop was dark and a little on the hard side, however, wince both them had the same poop I thought it to be normal.

Now, since the grass has died and they have been on coastal hay their poop has lighten in color and it softer (not mushy or loose, just a softer texture)

Any ideas why?

Just a change in feed. Different feeds have different moisture, protein, etc.. content.

Not a silly question and I commend anyone for knowing their horses and their poop. Depending on what they are eating and even drinking changes their poop color. Mine are drier and darker and firmer now that grass is very scarce and when they do find any it's not much good. They get all the grass hay they want. Good question, you may have helped someone else too!

HGFarm said:
Just a change in feed.  Different feeds have different moisture, protein, etc.. content.
531366[/snapback]

Sometimes it can even smell differnt.
rolleyes.gif
I find that the greener the poop the more it smells it seems.

well mine eat timothy brom mix and I can notice the differance as well from summer grazing to winter hay, also theirs is different when they get their tub of molassis (sp)which I start up at christmas time and stop just before spring when we start getting rain and the snow thaws.

They do love it so much and get some upset when I only let them have it for short periods of time till their systems get use to it.Once that happens then I keep it out for them 24/7

Thanks for the replies. I still feel new to horse ownership so I sometimes feel awkward asking some questions.

Latest posts

Back