pony drivers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
i just bought my first classic shetland

(i also have miniatures in both a and b size)

my pony will mature over 38" for sure, the breeder thinks he will be 42"

how long do the shafts on a cart need to be for him??

my b minis (37+") use carts with 53 and 54" shafts compared to my As who use 48-49" shafts

can he use one of my b carts or will he need a "pony" cart with 60-66" shafts?

if he will be only 4" or so taller than my b minis, 60" shafts seem way long and i haven't seen anything in between

what do you pony driving people use?

i just bought my first classic shetland

(i also have miniatures in both a and b size)

my pony will mature over 38" for sure, the breeder thinks he will be 42"

how long do the shafts on a cart need to be for him??

my b minis (37+") use carts with 53 and 54" shafts compared to my As who use 48-49" shafts

can he use one of my b carts or will he need a "pony" cart with 60-66" shafts?

if he will be only 4" or so taller than my b minis, 60" shafts seem way long and i haven't seen anything in between

what do you pony driving people use?
I have a 40-42 inch pony and have him in a cart with 55 in. shafts and 20 in wheels. It looks proportionate but I have found that the shafts are not wide enough to give him freedom of movement between the shafts. If you are going to buy an off the shelf cart I would go up to the 60-66 inch ones that you mentioned to get the width that you need. If you are going to have it custome made then they will ask for measurement and make it like it needs to be. I have decided to to have mine custome made because for the price it will fit him EXACTLY. I have one chance financially to get it right so I'd rather spend a little more and have it perfect then have to buy several. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be:)

Kim

I bought a cart with 55" shafts for my shetland, that is what was recommended to me. He's 43" tall to the withers.

It fits him well.

Good luck to you!

edited to say the black pony in my avatar is a 33-34" mini in the cart with 55" shafts, cart was actually bought for 43" shetland - I think the shaft lenght is ok but they are really to wide for him, I should bend them in some but I hate to do that. trying to hold out till I can get to the harness shop and buy another set of shafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the dangers/disadvantages of having shafts too long for a particular pony?

What about the width that was mentioned?

Just trying to learn more, thanks.

Latest posts

Back