Pony Critique...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please post photos of the difference in a hinge and an ewe?

obvious difference for my untrained eye...

The black filly with 4 whites was a long yearling and yes in a growth stage where her butt is up in the air. Now she has a nice topline and for the division she would show in, just right. She would show in the MP division and will make a great driving pony. She would not be able to show effectively in halter in the classic or foundation divisions.

Thats what I thought, she is a beautiful mare.

I have watched my colt grow through high bum stages then he seems to catch up again, its rather gawky lol.

Want to take a critique of Bonny?

I think if you take a careful look at Bonny's photos of the pony she was referring to and the pony Muffntuff is referring to you will see a perfect example of the difference between a "hinge" and a "ewe".

A horse with a ewe neck has a downward curving, rather than upward arcing, spinal column in the neck. I don't see that in Muffntuff's examples although a bit in her stallion but it is being masked somewhat by his heavy neck and the muscling on top.

There is nothing wrong with a horse in pasture condition. All my horses that aren't showing are in pasture shape. They are healthy and fit but not ready to step into a show ring. Their conformation is every bit as good as it would be if they were brought into show shape as most of them have been at some point in their life.

I am, I guess what you would call, an equine person, having had and loved plenty of all types of equines throughout my life, and conformation has always been conformation to me. I look for the same things in all equines. There are certain conformational faults that enhance performance and depending on what you are asking of your equine some of these faults may be more acceptable than others. I don't necessarily look for the same things in a horse I am going to drive or show at halter or ride on a hunter course or take on an endurance ride. There are even differences between some of the horses I take driving into the breed show ring or out on a CDE course although that tends to be more personality-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify I never said weight CHANGES conformation but I do feel its not fair to judge an underweight horse or judge a horse from such bad pictures. I could show before and after pictures all day long and some would think it was a different horse. Not saying he is horribly thin but definitely needs a few pounds put on. A few years back I brought home a very very thin stallion and people just laughed and said I had lost my mind. They werent laughing anymore when I got weight on him and hit the show circuit
default_smile.png

I will agree confirmation is confirmation - but in the pony world, its a little different.

LOL I am sorry I have never heard any vet or any book or any true conformation expert say Conformation is conformation with the exception of ponies.
default_laugh.png

Ponies are no different then any other breed in the world. Fat and muscle will not change structure- it may hide things, conditioning certain areas may mask things but it does not change things.

I to agree that the pony of the OP is weak in the hind end and has a ewe neck weight is not going to change that nor do I think the pony is very thin or has a poor body score. He could use a bit of bulking up and muscle but again not going to change the angle of his croup.

Many top show horses are not truly top examples of the breed (and yes this holds true for many top ponies as well they again are no different then any other equine) A good handler knows how to condition a pony/horse to hide its flaws and accentuate it's good points and then knows how to set them up to do the same thing.

All of that said I think you have a pretty cute little pony to enjoy so whatever the crituques are just have fun with him :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back