pleasure show driving question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I am new to driving and new to minis but am wondering is it in the rule book for AMHR that you can not use breeching or is it just that no one chooses to?

I am green, my horse is green and while I won’t be showing in a driving class in the near future I keep thinking it would be safer to have breeching the first few times. As from what I’ve learned breaching is basically your brakes helps keep one from bucking.

Thanks

Christina

I don't know about AMHR but in AMHA i'm pretty sure its just that no one chooses to. I don't really know why.

Breeching doesn't prevent bucking but it is the most efficient, comfortable means of braking and is indeed a very good idea at all times. Breeching is allowed in AMHR but not popular because it is considered "more leather covering the horse."
default_wacko.png
I used it for a season but got tired of sticking out like a sore thumb so I took it off when I got a light show cart. The show ring is the ONLY place I don't use breeching, the rest of the time it's a permanent part of my harness. If I ever have a driven obstacle class in deep footing it will go right back on for the duration of that class so my horse can back the cart comfortably. It's a heck of a lot better than having him rearing from discomfort and frustration!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

There are no rules in AMHA against using breeching and I don't believe there are in AMHR either. I have used it in Country Pleasure on occasion and always in Antique Vehicle with the Dr Buggy.

Don't know why it is traditionally not used in the driving classes other than "just because". Possibly because some harnesses do not come with it and no one wants to buy it extra. You certainly can use it and won't be penalized.

It is always used with teams.

Thanks dali1111, hobbyhorse23 and Al B.

At this point I realize I'll probably stick out but would rather put being safer first... I just didn't want to get to the point of showing in a class and getting DQ because of the breeching. I would think any judge can 'see' thru breeching just as well as the rest of the harness.

The first time I plan on bringing all my gear but just practice a bit. As much as I have worked on it between life, work, weather and day light were not ready for an actual class. IMO

thanks again

Christina,

It's just a matter of preference.

Are you coming to our Bluebonnet show in Katy in 2 weeks? We have a beginners driving class.

Al B - I am planning on going to the Lone Star Corsicana show as its closer to home, I've yet to show but been told Corsicana's a good place to start.

I also hope to go to at least the Spook for North TX / Glen Rose, April show date is really close to my mare's due date so I don't think I am comfortable leaving - even in very capable hands I would like to be home for my first 'home grown' baby being born.

I may look into some of the other dates for the Katy shows (that’s AMHA correct?) I've tried to write as much down as I can between the different reg and being new it gets confusing
default_wacko.png

My stallion is A and R but I am not sure about how many clubs to look at or take on in my first year, I am also part of the north TX whip club and already really enjoyed the heck out of the learning day and can't wait for the first novice day.

The previous owner of my stallion has been a great help as well and I think I might have even found an in general driving instuctor for some formal lessons once were really behind the cart more. Not having an arena, in part want lessons just for that as well as someone helping to tell me if we look ok, good or correct this and that.

My goals are to be showing by the oct shows if nothing else for either lone star or north TX, and maybe by next spring I'll try an obstacle driving class... that seems so far away right now.

Christina, sounds like you're well on your way. In addition to the Greater Houston Miniature Horse Club and the Houston Area Carriage Association we are also members of the South West Miniature Horse Club and also North Texas Whip. Been to Corsicana and many times to Glen Rose. You will like both of them. We do lots of both ADS and AMHA/AMHR shows. Also put on your calendar November 8-9 for the CDE in Navasota.

Haven Hill Driving Trial

Email me privately ([email protected]) about your stallion and driving trainer. Also if you have any questions about anything just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a green horse, you won't know what to expect, so TO HECK with what is "the fashion for the ring!" That's what I always say.

Go ahead and go with the breeching... if your horse is otherwise turned out neat and clean and has a good performance, then a GOOD judge will not penalize you for having breeching on.

My green horses... well I don't trust them with my fancy schmancy show carts so I always take them in the ring with an easy-entry cart. It's heavier, so makes them work a little more since they are usually amped up a little, and no big deal if something "horrible" should happen (knock on wood, never has yet).

I have placed very well in an easy entry cart, which I would think is MUCH less "fancy" than having breeching!

Good luck, please post pictures for us if you have someone ringside to take some
default_yes.gif

Andrea

I agree with the others.

I just wanted to add that at one show this past year in a Reinmenship driving class, My horse and I performed pretty bad. We should not have placed but I did simply because I was not wearing a breaching.

Sometimes stuff happens. Go with what you like, I only do not wear my breaching because I don't have it with my show harness.

Thanks everyone - and I didn't think of the easy entry (the heavier part) and might be something to consider. I now am the proud owner of a easy entry and a new to me old Amish made show cart, I was so glad to have found it and hope it fits my guy well, going to test that this weekend when I have daylight on my side.

And I hope to find a by standard willing to take some pics of me both with the in hand work at this show and my practice session(s) at the show. One of my friends half jokingly said you know if you don’t enter him he’ll be great and you’ll wish you had but if you do he might be a pain in the backside… could be true, as they seem to love to misbehave at the worst times, but I’ve decided just to try my hand at hunter / jumper, obstacle in hand maybe even liberty for the heck of it

I am glad to have posted and asked, appreciate all the feedback – I’d personally feel better using it for at least the first few shows, by next year or toward the end of the year all is going well then it might come off. And I agree (IMO) a good judge can and should look past something like breeching or pasture scrapes/nicks from them being aloud to be horses.

And in general I am nervous but trying to take it as it comes and have fun. I am a self admitted perfectionist so part of me says were not ready!! and a bigger part says just go have fun and if I place even fairly well I'll be ecstatic

Latest posts

Back