Please tell me I am not the only one~~~~~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Ordering garden seeds already!!
default_laugh.png
More snow we get, the more I want to garden.
default_rolleyes.gif

So far this is what I hope to grow in my garden this spring. Am trying some long storing onions and carrots this year, along with some new varities.

Blushed Butter Cos Lettuce

Canoe Peas

Cheddar Cauliflower -

Dakota Peas -

Giambo Squash -

Green Slam Cucumbers -

Honey Bear Squash -

Kentucky Wonder Bean -

Lil' Loupe Melon -

Merida Carrots -

Onion Plants-Copra -

Onion Plants-Mars -

Plant-Beaverlodge 6808 Slicer Tomato - Ships last half of April

Plant-Golden Star Pepper - Ships last half of April

Plant-Legend Tomato - Ships last half of April

Plant-Northstar Pepper - Ships last half of April

Plant-Sweet Million Tomato - Ships last half of April

Renegade Bean -

Roma II Bean -

Small Sugar Pumpkin

Spaulding Spinach -

Sugar Dots Corn -

Waltham Butternut Squash

Yukon Gold Potatoes

Atomic Red carrot

- Chinese Red Noodle Bean

- Delicata winter squash

- Kabocha winter squash

So what is everyone thinking about planting in their Kitchen Garden next year?

Gee Shari you have a pretty good list going there! I can't compare...but does it count that I have a couple of ajicito plants in my new garden window?
default_laugh.png

I've decided that this year I'm going to try gardening in more pots and vases than on the ground itself. My tomatoe garden got so choked up with weeds I could'nt keep up with it last year. The grass grew back tougher and stronger after we had cleared it and add watering to it and it just took off. I will plant my green beans again in the ground...but plan to put my tomatoes in pots. My squash and pumpkins were a bust.
default_sad.png
They were beautiful and got beautiful flowers and just went downhill from there. That's 3 times I have tried them and so I give up.

Lets see.....for me it'll probably be:

Grape tomatoes

scallions

ajicitos

carrots (I'm going to try them again)

red peppers

and maybe some basil

Shari your garden must be huge! Would love to be close enough to help you with it.

With just me here I threw away more last year than anybody got any use out of. More melons, tomatoes and cucumbers went in the trash than ended up on anybody's table. Soooo this year there's gonna be a whole lot less planted.

I gotta ask - what's ajicito???

LOL Thanks!
default_laugh.png
If I keep adding more, am going to have to make a bigger garden.
default_laugh.png

For me,,, if I want Veggies in the winter, I have to grow and store them. Can't have anything with added salt.
default_wacko.png
Try finding even organic frozen or canned Veggies with no salt added....is impossible.

You have a good start to Sterling.
default_wink.png

Hear you about the weeds. I will hopefully, slowly... be making raised beds with paths that have landscape fabric with the 1/4- gravel between the beds. Should keep the weeds down, so there will be less work.

Donna,, wish you were closer too. Would be happy to exchange help for Veggies.
default_wink.png
We did not have any extra anything last year. Not near enough Veggies to feed me through the winter.

We are planning on having some Cancer surviors we know, help in the garden next year, in exchange for Veggies. Am hoping this way will be able to up how much the garden can produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta ask - what's ajicito???
It's a little spanish pepper. Looks similar in shape and size to a habanero, but you use it to season beans, soups etc... with. It's not a hot or mexican pepper either, but adds abundance of flavor to foods. If they're successful this year I'll post a pic of them.

Shari those raised beds sure peak my interest...will have to tell hubby about that. Your description of them sounds pretty once they're all said and done. I'll bet it could like like a little fairy garden. Hmmm definitely something to consider.

I would love to have a garden but I am the only one who eats veggies other then OKRA and so I told my husband I am going to plant me some OKRA and put a bunch up in the freezer.

Wow Shari........You've got a BIG project ahead! More power to you! How large is your garden space?

(I HATE Okra! Ick!)

You know MA,, I have never measured it. Can expand a bit behind the ugly shed. But its not as big as I would like, however to move the garden right now would be a major project. Will see what the summer brings.
default_smile.png

As soon as the snow melts and we have a couple of dry days,, most likely in Feb.. DH will put the whole manure pile into the kitchen garden to sit until tilling time. We will also put a few bags of crushed Oyster shell and a couple of bags of alfalfa pellets. Should be really nice soil this year! Also plan to put more hog and cattle panels up, which will allow me to grown more.... I hope.
default_laugh.png

Ajicito, sounds like a nice medium pepper Sterling. I will have to get some kind of green house up before I can think about growing those. But will add those to my "want" list.
default_wink.png

I am I am!!!!

I haven't bought any seeds yet, but the mind is wandering toward gardening here!!!!

We have a 75X30 garden, small and unkept! WE usually fill it with snow peas, green beans, shell beans and shell peas. Then I plants mammoth sunflowers around the whole garden. I am not a very good weeder!!!So I had the body of an old wheel barrow and filled it with chicken stuff and dirt and started a little lettuce garden. My husband loved that, until the chickens found out how yummy it was!!!!!

SO this year I want to make a 6'X 4' raised bed!!!! For lettuce and peas. With the capability to add a tent to protect the plants.

I covered the garden with black plastic at the end of the season to kill everything, I will pull that back and throw a couple hens in there to pick out weed seeds! Yes,,, they will have a job!

So yes Shari I have been dreaming of planting already.

I've started to plot and plan also.

We used to plant/grow a huge garden but have cut way back in the past few years. Last year we didn't grow anything except a couple of tomatoes.

You're way ahead of me. I have started my list and begun hilighting the seeds/plants of interest in my catalogs but our winter isn't even half done yet so no point ordering for a while. Plus it is something I enjoy to pass the time in the winter to work and rework my order as I plan exactly what I want to do in the coming year.
default_smile.png
I'd hate to rush through something I enjoy so much, the planning is at least half the fun for me.

I guess I am ordering early because there has been a shortage of seed, for some of the kinds of Veggies I like. Mostly OP or Heirloom types....and some long storing ones to boot.

Even ordering this early,, I am on a waiting list for a couple kinds. One is this cabbage.

8780_1883_large.jpg

Bad weather and all that other stuff hasn't done the seed sellers any favors.

I'm planning to put a small garden in this year since I've retired and can spend more time on it. Just peas, corn, watermelon, maybe some carrots and potatoes. The catalogs have arrived and I've been looking!

Shari this garden is raised beds with cement blocks landscape fabric the Professional grade stuff and pearock and after about 3 years you get weeds in the gravel in fact my self sowers (flowers) germinated better in the paths than in the beds.

So there is maintenance even with this system and you have to be careful not to get dirt in the paths the weed seeds REALLY like that. I have to roundup my paths in the spring.

veggarden.jpg

I have a BOX of seeds in the refrigerator so I AM NOT BUYING ANYMORE SEEDS! Yeah right!

Whitney, that is one very beautiful Garden!! Would love to have mine end up looking like that.

Oh goodness.. I know there will be weeds no matter what but much less than in a traditional garden! Goodness.. you would not believe the hours I spend on my hands and knees hand pulling weeds out. Even if it just halves the work, I would be happy.
default_laugh.png

This is a great thread! I'v been into flower beds and water gardens and want to try a small vegie garden this year
default_smile.png
. I would like bell peppers,cucumber,radishes,and onion. I wasn't sure if I should start with seeds or plants any favorite catalogs?

For catalogs my all time favorite is Stokes (I know it is available in the US as well ) but there are several Canada only suppliers I use too. Because we ae only zone 3 I shop from places that carry plants for my short season. (Today spring seems an awfully long way off since it has been snowing non stop since yesterday about 4pm)

Was over a friends house yesterday and on her table was a seed catalog. Looking thru it cheered us up! Only 75 days til spring (something like that) : P The older you get, the more you hate the cold New England winters! grrrr

Latest posts

Back