Garden Suggestions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
I am NOT a gardener. But I still attempt to plant a garden each year. Usually the first few weeks go well, but then my garden goes to pot. I thought maybe some suggestions before I set it out, might help me.

I live in central kentucky so a mild climate, usually good rainfall till about mid June, then dry through August. No problem I have sprinklers. I am definately going to plant tomatoes ( which I bought today and bought 9 different varieties) and only two people in the house.

I also want to put out beans, corn, cucumbers, squash, carrots, onions, (would love lettuce but I am too late, according to my husband), watermelons, possibly potatoes, and some pepper varieties. Do any of you good gardeners have any suggestions, what varieties, when to plant, any good tips to grow good veggies. I have relly good black dirt, and level land if that matters.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated, and maybe I could take some before and after pics of my garden.

Last year, all of my beans intermixed, and my cucumbers(I swear) tasted like onions.

Thanks for any suggestions. I do not have a green thumb.

I think you are too late on the carrots, but may be wrong. I have never grown them, but I thought they were more cool season.

Plant your beans corn and squash all together. The beans can climb the corn stalks and the squash will cover the ground. I did that once and it worked out just fine. If you try it and it bombs for you, sorry, you won't have to send me any fresh tomatoes!

Marigolds intermixed throughout the garden help with bugs.

The only things I ever ALWAYS plant are tomatoes and peppers. I like Big Boys and Better Boys for the tomatoes. Peppers I like jalepenos, habeneros, banana peppers, and chipotle.

Watermelons sometimes. I like the huge striped kind, dont know the name, and the round solid green ones. Both pink fleshed and seeded. I've tried the yellow seedless, but don't like them as well.

Keep your tomatoes watered. Don't let them dry out and then soak them or the tomatoes will burst and get those brown seams on them, or worse, split right open.

That's just me,

Stacye

Latest posts

Back