Please Help! We need to make these people understand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandee, you and most people are missing the point. It does not depend on the horse, not in this case. Two horses that are the best of friends and truly like one another, equal in height, will run and buck and kick up their heels. If one is a third of the size of the other it only needs one hoof to connect and it's curtains. It is not the point whether they like one another- no-one in their right mind would turn out horses that did not like one another together, so let's take as a given that they are friends. The Minis can and has still ended up dead.

And, for the record, no I would not turn mares and foals out with geldings or unbred mares, or youngsters. I lost one of the prettiest Arabs I have ever seen at two days old because I forgot there were two yearlings in the paddock I turned them into.

Before I could catch them, or the yearlings, and through no malicious intent, one of the yearlings had kicked the foal and broken her hind leg.

So- never again.

Everything carries a risk- why do something that you know to be risky???

Thank you Rabbitz! Well said.

I am not sure anyone is 'flame throwing' here- just trying to make a point on safety to the best of your ability. Yes Pepi, my horses are seperated and I DO have DOUBLE dog proof fence, and I have NO toxic plants on my property at all. You are going off subject and comparing apples with oranges.

Ok, if you KNEW you had toxic plants, would you allow your horses there? It's the same thing- if you KNOW your horse can be severely injured or killed in a given situation, would you put them there either? I would hope not.

Sandee, you and most people are missing the point. It does not depend on the horse, not in this case. Two horses that are the best of friends and truly like one another, equal in height, will run and buck and kick up their heels. If one is a third of the size of the other it only needs one hoof to connect and it's curtains. It is not the point whether they like one another- no-one in their right mind would turn out horses that did not like one another together, so let's take as a given that they are friends. The Minis can and has still ended up dead.

And, for the record, no I would not turn mares and foals out with geldings or unbred mares, or youngsters. I lost one of the prettiest Arabs I have ever seen at two days old because I forgot there were two yearlings in the paddock I turned them into.

Before I could catch them, or the yearlings, and through no malicious intent, one of the yearlings had kicked the foal and broken her hind leg.

So- never again.

Everything carries a risk- why do something that you know to be risky???

Thank you Rabbit, this is exactly what I am trying to say.

Thank you Rabbitz! Well said.

I am not sure anyone is 'flame throwing' here- just trying to make a point on safety to the best of your ability. Yes Pepi, my horses are seperated and I DO have DOUBLE dog proof fence, and I have NO toxic plants on my property at all. You are going off subject and comparing apples with oranges.

Ok, if you KNEW you had toxic plants, would you allow your horses there? It's the same thing- if you KNOW your horse can be severely injured or killed in a given situation, would you put them there either? I would hope not.

Exactly. You do everything within your power to try and keep your horses safe, and why would you want to risk that by doing somethign so stupid as putting a full sized and a mini together.

Lets be honest here.

How many people know of, for fact know, that a mini was killed by a big horse?

How many people know of, for fact, of a big horse that was killed by another?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a dog's'?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a toxin?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a human?

I know of several large horses who were killed by others, either playing or pasture breeding ( think that is stupid!) Have read here of many minis killed by everything listed, yet not one killed by a large horse. I am not talking about putting a tiny mini in with a 16+ h horse. But a good sized mini ( mine is about 36") in with smallish horses, 14 and 15.2. Everytime I have seen them play poor Mini gets left in the dust and no where near the mares. While on the other hand I have dealt with cuts and hematomas on the horses from their playing around.

There is not much you can do if people just won't listen it is there own animals and that is that. I see many a mini out with big Horus all the time in my driving around the State, anything can happen to any animal at any time.. I even SAW a full size horse playing and running around in a paddock that had ONE tree in the middle he was looking back at his stable mate and run smack dad head first into that tree~!! Died Instantly..Did we move the tree out No, accidents happen. You can lock them up in padded stalls and they will find a way to get hurt.. you can tell people not to turn them out with big ones because they CAN get Hurt Not that Will but can Accidents do happen but is they do not want to adhere to advise so be it. Life is too short to go on and on and on about what Others do and talk and talk about time and again JMOB

I agree completely with everything PepiPony has mentioned here!

I've seen my minis inflict far more damage on Each Other than my big mare ever has. As I said before, I wouldn't advocate turning big horses and minis out together, but if someone really knows their horses then it's up to them to choose to do so or not. As for kicking at a fly.... please. I've never seen a horse of any size ever kick at a fly hard enough to hurt another horse, never mind kill it.

As for the case with the rescue horses coming in, if it were me, I would never put any of them in with the minis. That's where knowing your horse comes in. Even though a rescue or some other outside horse might seem quiet, I would not trust them with my minis simply because I don't know them well enough.

I really think this is yet another one of those topics where we should all just agree to disagree.

I have had a Mini Mare killed by a big horse with NO aggression intended.

I have seen reports on this Forum a number of times about Minis killed by predators- Pepi all this is common first hand knowledge- I cannot see your point??

If people wish to continue risking their horses lives by worming them with Quest, using Bute as a painkiller and putting them in with big horses there is nothing I can do about it but I can really do without the insinuation that I am making it all up to convince people I am right!!

So long as no-one comes on here asking for sympathy after their horse was found dead, I have no problem with people doing as they wish.

Just do not try to tell me that it is OK to do it because so and so has done it fro twenty years and never had a problem- I have wormed with Quest and never had a problem, it is merely that I choose to learn by the experiences of others- another Mini dead of it not so long ago, and everyone cross because Quest will not accept responsibility.

If you choose to put your horse at risk by putting it in with big horses, that is your choice.

Just do not try to convince me there is no risk involved merely because you have got away with it.

Anymore than I will try and convince the people with dead horses that Quest is really OK to use.

Lets be honest here.

How many people know of, for fact know, that a mini was killed by a big horse?

How many people know of, for fact, of a big horse that was killed by another?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a dog's'?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a toxin?

How many people know of a mini that was killed by a human?

Read my previous post, two horses I've sold have been killed by full sized horses.

I don't personally know of a big horse killed by another

I don't personally know of a mini killed by a dog but have see the pictures/posts here

I don't personally know of a mini killed by toxins but again have seen first hand experiences here.

I don't personally know of any horses killed by humans

I personally stay out of these discussions anymore because I can only give so much of myself and need to prioritize how much stress I have in my life.

In the REAL world I do what I can to help one on one, but in the online world I post what I know personally and leave it at that, dont' have the energy to go round and round and round about it.

krisp

My minis are kept in with my 2 15+ hand TWH's. WITH NO PROBLEMS! they have been together for years. My Grandfather also ran mini's, ponies, and big horses all together for years and never had problems.. YES it is on how well you know your horses. I would not intentionally put something smaller in with an aggressive horse. I would not own an agressive horse. Flame Away if you must I dont care this is something that I stand firm on and will till the day I die.

As I KEEP saying...you can GET AWAY WITH IT, YES...well, done, aren't you clever??

If you can face coming down to a dead horse, killed in play by it's lifetime friend, that is fine too.

It has NOTHING to do with the temperament of the horse.

A horse will still kick out in play at it's very best friend in all the world. If this playful kick lands on a full size horse it will be OK.

If it lands on a Mini- by mistake and no aggression intended IT WILL KILL IT.

...So long as no-one comes on here asking for sympathy after their horse was found dead, I have no problem with people doing as they wish. ...
That's really it in a nutshell. Some people just insist on doing it the hard way and refuse to learn from other's mistakes--it will never happen to them.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sad that the horse or other animal may have to pay for their owner's arrogance and stupidity so absolutely no sympathy from me either.

A horse will still kick out in play at it's very best friend in all the world. If this playful kick lands on a full size horse it will be OK.

If it lands on a Mini- by mistake and no aggression intended IT WILL KILL IT.

Wrong and wrong. Accidents happen, all the time, in every way. Dont put 2 horses together that dont like each other. Do put horses together that like each other. I have seen a full size mare kick her 8 day old filly in the head. Have seen a mare kick a stud in the knee and he was destroyed. I have seen either first hand or second, 11 full size horses killed or seriously hurt by other big horses. Each of my mares has been to the Vet because of wounds inflicted by other large horses. Mini has never been so much as scratched by any of my horses. Not to say that he wont at some time. But there is nothing to say that he wont be hit by lightning, or bit by a rattler.

My mini ran away from his previous home because the Appy mare he was with HATED him, literally wanted him dead. So he came here and was BEST buds w/my QH.

Its funny the things this forum will stick to their guns to, without knowing the facts. I have seen pics posted with deathtraps in the background, but guess thats ok.

Guess when anyones horse dies of anything but natural causes, no one can offer sympathy because a lot of the deaths/injuries could have been avoided right? Walk the pasture and make sure there are no toxins. Make the pens dog/coyote proof. Dont use that wormer, do feed this, not that etc etc etc.
default_wacko.png
:

My point is if you are going to be ticky about putting a mini in w/a horse because any accident between them is preventable. Then you have to be equally as ticky about dog bites, toxins and just about any other accident because they are all preventable. Isnt that a fair assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok it seems to me your getting the same reaction from this forum that your getting from the other forum. This is one of those cases that everyone is goin to have an opinion wether you agree with it or not. So I goin to put my 2 cents in to.

Yes it is dangerous for mini's to be in with big horses, but whats to say a horse that is full sized and say only 15 hands is not going to get killed or hurt by being out in the same pasture as a horse that is 17 hands high, if the bigger horses lands a good kick he kill that horse just as easily.

Where i9s used to do stable work at they had 22 horses on pasture, all mares, the biggest horse out there was about 14.2 everything else was ponies. However out of these horses that all ran together one of them was a mini. the pasture was a 25 acre pasture with lots of room to run, the mini was on the lower end of the pecking order, but yet she was smart enough to stay with the shetlands,and away from the bigger ponies, and if they all would end up together like around feeding time, they had seperate hay feeders so they mini and shetlands could eat away from the big horses.

Yes accidents can happen and mini's could get killed in a pasture with big horses, but big horses can also get killed in that same pasture with other big horses. No matter how much you try to argue this point your not goin to get anywhere cause something that I have realized in the horse world everyone has thier opinon, everyone does things different, yes somethngs may wrong from what you do,but that doesn't always mean what you do is right either..ok I'm done

Sorry, it an accident waiting to happen that can end in death, not injury.

Of course occasionally a horse can be badly injured by another- one reason I would not mix greatly differing sizes, let alone Minis and Bigs...or mares and geldings for that matter.

What it comes down to is that some people are defending what they cannot avoid or do not want to avoid, so we will never agree. I have a choice so it will never happen with me and no Mini will be killed by a big horse on my property.

Of course stuff happens, it's just that some stuff is SO avoidable it should not be given the chance to happen.

Would you turn your horses out in a barbed wire fenced field??

Well, a lot of people have to- I did once, it was not my choice.

When I moved onto the place I'm on now the first thing I do was start removing all the barbed wire.

Why would I do that, I had never had an accident with barbed wire??

BECAUSE I KNEW AN ACCIDENT COULD HAPPEN that's why.

And it cost me over the years an arm and a leg because let me tell you fencing with barbed wire last a lot longer than stock fence does!!!

As I said, do what you like, you will anyway, just please do not ask for sympathy when the inevitable happens.
default_yes.gif
:

"As I said, do what you like, you will anyway, just please do not ask for sympathy when the inevitable happens."

Why would anyone ask for anyone else's sympathy? That's silly. Ultimately, if people want to risk injury or death to their animals, let them mix Minis with full sized horses, let them fence with barbed wire so the predators can get through with ease, let them not check their pastures for poisonous plants, let them use Quest, etc. The information IS OUT THERE and if they've been told of the dangers but ignore the possibilities and refuse to make a change or even if they simply can't make a change for any number of legitimate reasons, that's too bad. Something bad might happen today or something bad might not ever happen. It comes down to you can do your best but you can't save them all. If you think this is bad, you all need to watch Animal Cops and see what some of those sick individuals are doing to their helpless animals. I'm not saying to stop trying to help in less serious situations, but be realistic and know that people are going to do what they're going to do or can do in the end. There's no use in arguing about it amongst yourselves.

Remember the story about the little child that was recently killed by their family dog. They were in the yard playing like they had numerous times before. Except this time the dog got ahold of the scarf she had around her neck, pulled it too tight & now the family will grieve forever................. Like this beloved family's pet, some situations will go on forever being ok but some will end in tragedy.

Okay ...I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but i think this is common sense.

A mini who weigh's about 250 pounds ...in with a horse that weigh's around 1,200 pounds.

Just think about that ..let it sink in, the different in size.

Lets try this ..

Now,

Lets say you put a 50 pound child in with 'THE ROCK' (the wrestler) ....would that make any sense at all?

Because thats what position that mini is in.

Leeana

When I first bought my Sam most of the ads I read from breeders and people I spoke with(breeders) said minis were great companions for large horse. So I took Sam home introduced him to our big horse (supervised in the barn,with partion) and watched with horror as my big horse grabbed Sam by the neck and shook him. After rescue and vet check Sam was fine and I warn everyone not to keep Big and Small together EVER!! We all need to preach this because it happens to often :no:

I know a lady that turned my 29 inch palomino medicine hat stallion in with a big mare and she kicked him once and he died two days later. She had very poor fencing and because of that she lost a wonderful stallion. I am a big believer in keeping them seperated.

I dont think it costs to much or takes to much time to go to Lowes and pick up a quick wire fence, thats better then nothing and cheap to.

...i think the couple extra dollars is with the thouthands spent on the horse.

Leeana

Latest posts

Back