Please Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also not one of the critique gurus! But based on these photos, I agree that he looks very thin. I currently taking care of my first senior horse, and have quickly learned that the needs of a senior are quite different than those of a younger horse.

You've received some wonderful advice from other senior owners (Marty, Fizz). I hope you continue to research and learn about the needs of our senior companions. They are truly special.

Have to throw in my 2 cents worth too.

As others have said, he is thin -- ok you know this.

1) TEETH - get an equine dentist or excellent Vet Dentist out there immediately

Now.. it is possible that you have already done this... if not -- start here..

The immediately is because you want to show in August and he will not gain weight if he can't eat properly.

2) Senior Feed is a great idea.. he needs to gain about 50 pounds or maybe 75 from what I see in the photos. Don't kill him trying to forcefeed or overfeed him however.. do it gradually. You can add corn oil to the feed (gradually increase the amount) and can add chopped hay (like alfalfacubes soaked in water) and beet pulp (soaked in water) to his feed. Both of these things can help add weight. Ask your feed store for advice on that. Corn oil will help add oils to his coat as well as adding weight.. go slowly with the addition of all these elements.

4) When was the last time he was dewormed? If you have not done that recently, be sure and do it now. Ivermectin is what I would recommend.

5) Muscle is also important. Slow exercise for longer periods of time would be better for an older horse in my opinion.. You can round pen train him.. but do LOTS of walking and SLOW trotting.... obviously you can't do one hour on the first time.. you can work up to 30 minutes however over time.. add in 5 minutes per day.. again WALKING and SLOW TROTTING - mostly WALKING...

Please remember that the increased exercise will also consume calories.

I don't know if there is enough time between now and the show in August.. depends on him and whether he can process the groceries. Whatever you do, take it SLOWLY - rushing him along (exercise or food wise) will do HARM rather than HELP.

6) GROOMING --- Be sure to put in time daily brushing him and bringing the natural shine to his coat. He will enjoy it and you can "massage" his muscles with your rubber curry comb and soft brushes. That will help him with stiffness from the exercise as well as well as give you quality time together.

Now.. he is a nice looking older gentleman. I think he looks better posed square than stretched. If you can get him to hold his head UP and curve the neck a bit (rather than stretching the neck straight forward) he will look a bit better.

His neck is too thin because he is too thin. His crest is broken. You cannot fix that broken crest, you can put weight on him.

Be sure and fit the show halter on him properly. You should be able to get one of your fingers between his cheek bone and the nose of the halter (ie the nose of the halter should sit on the nose about one finger below the cheekbone).

Physical traits that you can fix? Have him groomed to a shine!

Are you going to body clip him for the show? If you have not done this in the past.. I suggest you start practicing now. It takes time for clip jobs to grow back out again. You want to do the final clip about a week before the show if you are going to body clip. On the other hand.. if he is nicely shed out.. and you have been grooming him daily and he has that natural, healthy glow to his coat then maybe you don't need to body clip!

Be sure to practice having him trot and walk alongside you (with you leading on EITHER side of him) quietly and competently -- that will be an asset in the show ring. He and you need to move STRAIGHT away from the judges then around the ring. Practice setting up and standing/posing for a while too.

If you DO decide he is ready for the show ring in time for the August show. Have a great time. Do it for the FUN of it!!! don't worry about ribbons and placings. If it turns out he does not enjoy it at all... then you may need to re-consider showing him in the future. The whole idea is to have FUN!!!!

I suggest YOUTH HALTER classes -- and halter obstacle classes for the two of you. Start small with the idea of doing other classes some time in the future.

Again, practice, practice, practice. Make sure you BOTH enjoy doing this! and good luck. Let us know what happened.

JJay

im not going to comment on his conformation. I will warn you that it is MUCH harder to put weight on a horse (especially and older horse) then it is to take weight off. He is not going to be in good weight by the time of the show. I would worry about stressing him while he is this thin. I had a young underweight mare and it took 8 months of feeding her constantly to get her weight back up.

If he was mine i would hold off showing him and just concentrate on getting his weight back up and having him healthy. There will always be another show
smile.gif

Also if you are really wanting to get in the show ring buy yourself a gelding. There are fabuolus ones at great prices. I just think this is the best way to learn about showing etc is with a gelding

I htink you are right there are plenty of older horses who really love to get back in that show ring we had some 20+ year old school horses that once they got to a show (T/B's) went nuts and came alive

I would work on his weight and perhaps do something in the show ring with him that isnt halter like obstacle or something like that until his weight us back where you want it?

[SIZE=8pt]hey thanks for critiquing[/SIZE]

don't worrie, no one has hurt my feelings!

But just to mention, we love this guy but we are not a 1 horse farm. as some know we have a mini filly, gelding & stallion w/ 2 full size mares(one is pregnate) & a TB gelding, so we have ALL our horses shots, teeth, vaccenations, feed, feet, cleaning, grooming etc. done regularly!

all of our minis are body clipped, & midnight is in those pictures

i have shown midnight twice last year so i know what to expect, halter classes i think would be the most layed pack class for him, obstical.. no way! he is a stud& i would not even try to have him do that!

i'm only showing him one day... one more time

the only reason why i amdoing this show is because it is his last, so my whole famliy will be coming, & his old owners & some very close friends, so i have to do this...

midnight has been walked 4 about 10-25 mins dayliy for they last month or 2.. he knows what to do when we show, so all we kned 2 do know is fatten him up! he is allready looking better, & we only saw how thin he was after clipping
no.gif

altho we have minis... we aren't rich right now & in the long run we just can't get another...(i really like beccy's black oveo colt & would love him!
wub.gif
biggrin.gif
)but we can't aford it..
no.gif

we will no be showin next year.. but will the yr after w/ my filly/ to be mare...

"add some corn oil, definitely give vitamins and make sure he is on electrolytes." what do they do, where do i get it, how do i use them? & electrolytes??

his hair is very soft and flexible.. & healty

we are showing for the the fun of it

i will square him 4 halter

he is groomed dayily & he is now being excerisized slowly... or should i say at the right pace for his age

like i said, i know how he will act & i am prepared, i have seen the very best & worst of this guy!

hehe, just so you know i'm not a know-it-all teen, i really do listen & i do take actions on these thing you guys say!

& i thank God 4 each day w/ my guys

desiree

Latest posts

Back