Platform Feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mondak

Reaction score
I just switched to the mini grain from platform and I was wondering, for the others that feed it, are the package directions for feeding pretty acurate? My guys do combined driving so that would be moderate to heavy work...do I really feed 3lbs of it? They also get Born to Win, Flax, Ochard Grass, and Alfafa cubes. Just wondering, I am not used to having the feeding guidelines scaled down for me so maybe I am just trying to make it harder on myself than need be
default_wacko.png
: , LOL.

Courtney

I just switched to the mini grain from platform and I was wondering, for the others that feed it, are the package directions for feeding pretty acurate? My guys do combined driving so that would be moderate to heavy work...do I really feed 3lbs of it? They also get Born to Win, Flax, Ochard Grass, and Alfafa cubes. Just wondering, I am not used to having the feeding guidelines scaled down for me so maybe I am just trying to make it harder on myself than need be
default_wacko.png
: , LOL.

Courtney
That sounds like alot, are you sure you read the directions right? I"m not trying to sound flip or imply anything, just when I read the bag it said to feed so much per 150# bodyweight, whereas most bags are per 100#, so just checking that you caught that part of the directions. I don't feed it as I can't get it here.

My horses are pretty lazy and just spoiled. I feed them 1 1/2 serving size cups of the platform. My old man who tends to have a hard time with weight gets 2 cups. But I also feed depending on the size 2 - 4 flakes of hay, morning and night.

We switched to Platform when it first came out & we love it. We feed on the lower part of what's recommended. Since our guys (A 4 yr. old gelding & yearling) don't do too much work here. They are supposed to get 1/2lb.(6oz) to 1lb (16oz) I believe if I remember right
default_wink.png
: we feed 5oz in the morning and 5 oz at night so they get 10oz a day.... & we (my mom & I) think that's a lot
default_wacko.png
: but they do look very nice. Soon I'll have my gelding Banner on a good working schedule & get him into condition (he drives, for fun
default_smile.png
) he'll prolly have a little more grain. This grain doesn't make them hot and crazy at all which is an awesome benifent. For you guys I'ld say it would be some-what of an expirement, and see how they look on it, if they need a little more/less adjust to that. So if you fed 3lb.s of grain I think it's ment to be split up so they'ld have a pound & 1/2 in the morning & at night, or that amount 3 times a day, w/e you schedule is.

Hope this helps :bgrin

Ash

Ohhh I just had a thought, what grain are they getting now? that may effect how much they need as they switch over
default_unsure.png
: , not sure though lol.

Good Luck :bgrin

Ash

Latest posts

Back