pinto or pintaloosa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
My foals sire is a pintaloosa. How can I tell if my foal is pinto or actually pintaloosa?

Her teats etc are black and pink but her pinto colouring changes in this area also so I don't know if its the pinto if you get what I mean?

Jill, thank you, I thought it was just me! Orin, can we have a picture pleas of your colt, it would help to determine his actual coloring.

I think she's going to email me a picture or pictures, and I will post asap when I get them
default_yes.gif

Looking at the picture, I don't see appy indications BUT I am not an expert at all on appy coloring.

Appy questions aside, I think she's very nicely marked and looks to have a gorgeous head and nice hip!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou. I did think she was just pinto but didn't want to put it down wrong on her papers etc.

Is she blotchy around the mouth? My dun blanket appy has spots around his nose and eyes

Does she have white sclera, mottled skin (lips/genitals) and striped feet? If not, she is not showing Appaloosa characteristics, and she appears pinto to me. And VERY cute!

Thanks guys I've put her down as pinto

FYI, pintos with NO appy blood can also have striped hooves, white sclera and mottling around lips and genitals. Our gray pintos in particular show these supposed appy characteristics, including the mottling, but most all our pintos have striped hooves and white sclera to some extent. I checked pedigrees very carefully and no apps to be found back as far as the pedigrees went.

As she is mouting her chestnut is greying but she has no greys or roans in her pedigree? Appy roaning?

You might send photos and this info to the Pinto Association (www.pinto.org) and ask if she would qualify for PtHA registration. They will not register a pinto with appy characteristics so they should have some experience with this question.

Latest posts

Back