Pinkie Update Monday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy to hear you have decided to bring Pinkie home to live out her remaining days there with you and her pasture mates. She will be so much more at ease there, and hopefully she will have the chance to give birth to her foal and even raise it, God willing. Hugs, prayers and well wishes for Pinie, her unborn foal, and for you!

Oh how sad, but so glad to hear she is home and happy.

Lot of
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray and thinking of you in your time of need...

Do you have her on camera? Hoping for a healthy foal.

Wishing you and Pinky the best of luck.. She will probably do better at home.

'I pray that I may win the race, but if I cannot win, then I pray that I may be courageous in the attempt.'

The honor is in the battle and the attitude with which you approach it. Each day is a gift, enjoy the ones you have left. Don't forget, nobody told her.

Good Luck

Dr Taylor
This is how I'll be praying for her. And praying you'll be able to enjoy each moment you have with her.

Amazing words, Dr. Taylor.

Prayer works wonders.

Adding prayers for you, your mare, and her foal.

I am truly sorry about Pinkie and you are in a tough situation. I hope she hangs in and has a healthy foal but sometimes it is just not to be. Raising an orphan foal is very hard with the sleepless nights and you will need people to help you because it is almost impossible to do it yourself.

Does anyone have "Mama was an igloo" to download? That may be helpful and if not I have a copy in my files so email me and I can scan it and send it to you.

I ended up with an orphan filly at 5 weeks old and she refused the bottle. I was almost in tears trying to get her to eat when one of my old mares who had a filly walked up and the orphan snuck in the backdoor and drank. I made a deal with Sarahbell that if she would let the filly nurse I would give her grain and that worked out.

Prayers said for a peaceful end for Pinkie at home where she is loved and many more prayers for the foal to live! Stay strong.

I am truly sorry about Pinkie and you are in a tough situation. I hope she hangs in and has a healthy foal but sometimes it is just not to be. Raising an orphan foal is very hard with the sleepless nights and you will need people to help you because it is almost impossible to do it yourself.

Does anyone have "Mama was an igloo" to download? That may be helpful and if not I have a copy in my files so email me and I can scan it and send it to you.

I ended up with an orphan filly at 5 weeks old and she refused the bottle. I was almost in tears trying to get her to eat when one of my old mares who had a filly walked up and the orphan snuck in the backdoor and drank. I made a deal with Sarahbell that if she would let the filly nurse I would give her grain and that worked out.
Interesting addition to the thread. I have never had a baby of any species that I was not able to successfully wean at 30 days old. Babies do not 'need' milk for 4 months to survive. I will grant you longer is probably better and early weaned babies will take longer to achieve mature size, but I would never encourage someone to keep a 5 week old baby on milk unless it was very easy and available.

Dr Taylor

I wasn't going to add to this thread since there is really nothing I can say that will help with Pinkie. I hope things turn out better than you expect and I feel for the heartbreak you are suffering now. I did want to respond tho to wcr who says its hard to raise an orphan and nearly impossible alone.

I raised my orphan filly alone, not impossible at all. I must admit to having created a 'stall' for her in my unfinished basement because the idea of going out to feed in the dark every couple of hours on those cold April nights did not appeal to me lol. She was 9 days old when we lost her Momma and she was on a bottle for about a week until I could teach her how to drink from a pan. Once talking her milk replacer from the pan I just had to be sure it would stay clean and then I could serve enough at one time to last through 2 feeds. It was cool enough (air temp) not to spoil and baby learned to not care if her meal was warm (my vet assured me warm was not a requirement)The biggest problem I had was adjusting the volume as she grew and then the strength of the mix. My vet and I worked closely on what would be the best mix strength since the directions had it so rich that baby got runny butt. As she grew and ate more we diluted the mix and encouraged her to eat solids. She has grown into a healthy 3 yr old now. It can be done, and the foal can thrive.

I do hope tho that for you it doesn't come to that and somehow your mare manages to hold on and give her baby what he/she needs. Good luck.

Pinkie DOES have an udder, and I was able to express clear sticky milk this morning, so... here's hoping! She wanted OUT but I want to be there at first. I didn't see any more acorns out there but you never know.

Im glad pinkies home and I believe its probably the best place for her , just wanted to say Ive raised an orphan , his mum died when he was two weeks old and we didnt use a bottle he drank straight from bowl , he had a bowl fixed to the wall in his stable and we filled it with milk at bed time , by the time he was a month old he was eating hay too so no need to get up during the night during the day I turned him out with another foal (the dam wouldnt feed him but tolerated his presence) he grazed the lawn and was able to come into the kitchen and ask for his milk , one thing I will say is try to let him mix with other horses as much as possible or he will forget hes a horse

It may never happen so worry about that if and when it comes , I think Pinkie will hang on until her baby can manage without her , after all isnt that what mums do

Sounds like Pinkie is happy to be home! Might just be what she needed to turn this around. Please keep us updated about her and the foal. Keeping her in my prayers!
default_pray.gif
:pray

I wasn't going to add to this thread since there is really nothing I can say that will help with Pinkie. I hope things turn out better than you expect and I feel for the heartbreak you are suffering now. I did want to respond tho to wcr who says its hard to raise an orphan and nearly impossible alone.

I raised my orphan filly alone, not impossible at all. I must admit to having created a 'stall' for her in my unfinished basement because the idea of going out to feed in the dark every couple of hours on those cold April nights did not appeal to me lol. She was 9 days old when we lost her Momma and she was on a bottle for about a week until I could teach her how to drink from a pan. Once talking her milk replacer from the pan I just had to be sure it would stay clean and then I could serve enough at one time to last through 2 feeds. It was cool enough (air temp) not to spoil and baby learned to not care if her meal was warm (my vet assured me warm was not a requirement)The biggest problem I had was adjusting the volume as she grew and then the strength of the mix. My vet and I worked closely on what would be the best mix strength since the directions had it so rich that baby got runny butt. As she grew and ate more we diluted the mix and encouraged her to eat solids. She has grown into a healthy 3 yr old now. It can be done, and the foal can thrive.

I do hope tho that for you it doesn't come to that and somehow your mare manages to hold on and give her baby what he/she needs. Good luck.
Another great point, it is a myth that milk needs to be warm. Milk can be fed at 40' once the baby is eating well (usually about 10-14 days or so) and fed ad lib. This will reduce the attachment to the 'foster mother' and mimic a more normal feeding schedule of frequent small feeding rather than a few large ones.

BTW, mares actually will out produce cows of a comparable size. The difference is mares do not store their milk like cows so they only have a small amount available per feeding.

Dr Taylor

Interesting addition to the thread. I have never had a baby of any species that I was not able to successfully wean at 30 days old. Babies do not 'need' milk for 4 months to survive. I will grant you longer is probably better and early weaned babies will take longer to achieve mature size, but I would never encourage someone to keep a 5 week old baby on milk unless it was very easy and available.

Dr Taylor
This is what our regular vet has told me with our orphaned calves; liquid milk replacer for 30 days, then onto the milk pellets and creep ration, works like a charm (at least when I feed them, my husband doesn't feed them enough grain/creep and they don't get enough out of our hay/pasture that young). [Hadn't discussed other animals with him, as so far, we've only dealt with orphaned calves; and usually we can graft them onto another cow, now and then we do have to take them to weaning, I had 4 one year.
default_wacko.png
]

Dr Taylor

I am wondering if you would recommend putting PInkie on Regumate, SMZ's and possibly light does of Banamine to help her maintain this pregnancy as long as possible - I know for stress and placentitis the protocol does help immensely

Stacy

wouldnt that put her kidneys under more stress with the extra work of removing the chemicals from her system ?

Dr Taylor

I am wondering if you would recommend putting PInkie on Regumate, SMZ's and possibly light does of Banamine to help her maintain this pregnancy as long as possible - I know for stress and placentitis the protocol does help immensely

Stacy
Probably not. I also don't want to do 'arm chair' Vetting

Banamine would be contraindicated. Regumate only if less than about 280 days or if she was crashing. SMZ if she showed signs of infection, oral antibiotics can cause diarrhea leading to dehydration. Deadly for Mom.

She probably doesn't have placentitis.

Dr Taylor

I am very pleased to hear that you have your little girl at home with you.

Every day is a gift for all of us so live it like it is your last, who knows what the future holds, we can only pray for happiness and health. I am praying for you.

Every time I check back on this post, I don't think I breath until I finish reading. Indeed, everyday is a gift, we never know from one day to the next. She will be here just as long as she is intended to be here, just as you or I or anyone else. Take what patience, knowledge, support, and friendship you can from the situation, do the best you can with it, and the rest is out of your hands.

Sending good thougths and prayers your way.

Latest posts

Back