Picture taking....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so true, and funny. Last year I had a woman call me and ask for rcent photo's of one of my fillies. I foolishly say I'll send them in about an hour. Stupid me! This filly is in your pocket, in your face, aren't you going to brush me, how about a snack, what is that black thing in your hands. I'll just keep walking up to you expecting something, anything, whats up! Took me forever to get new pictures and even then she was always looking at me. I guess it's better to have a sweet in your face baby then one always running away.

LOL you just described my filly
default_laugh.png
I usually end up running across the pasture and atleast getting a couple of her while she stares at me like I've lost my mind...then she makes her way back to investigating everything I'm doing haha. But like you said, it's better to have them be friendly than scared of you
default_yes.gif

LOL, lo and behold I just this morning was trying to get a good shot of Lily and had to shoo her about ten times. I still haven't looked at what I got on the camera. And YES they are always in my face, or sniffing my pants, or nibbling my shoe, or I squat down and just when I am ready to snap! the subject notices and starts toward me. I was glad to read tho, that all digital cameras are slow to click the pic or get to the next one.

Jaitera, I was ROFLMBO! Haven't we ALL been there??? I've tried the pennies in the can, grain in a bucket, bags on dressage whips, cap guns, whistles, even blowing up balloons to get them to watch, and they will just do what they want to do!

My problem is that my husband is a total doofus when it comes to handling the horses or taking a picture. Believe me, I've wanted to commit "himicide" and kill him during photo sessions! He actually asks, "Which button do I push to take the picture?" gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I don't train my horses to set up because we don't show, so it's doubly hard to get a good shot. I just HATE it when those registry pics are due!

Bwa ha ha ha ha !
default_yes.gif
, so glad I am not alone! I have a new weapon of getting attention. I discovered they really perk up and get that stiff stretched neck when I shake a can of spray paint to agitate the mixing ball in it.

First off for just registration pics or transfer pics, they do not need to be anything fancy. The association is just wanting to make sure it is the same horse.

For professional ad pics here are my tips- Morning is best as everyone else is saying. You need at least someone to take the pictures, and at least two helpers, one to hold the horse and one to get the horses attention. You will need plenty of "attention getters" such as umbrella, large mirrors, glittery magic wand, breath spray, Baby powder (spray some in the air), shiny balloon, big stuffed animals, grain buckets, electronic flashing toys, etc..... It does help to have a good camera. I have a Canon Rebel and use all the cheater settings. Plan to take 5-100 pictures per horse to get a few special ones. Make sure horse is clipped and oiled up, just as if you are going in the show pen. Have a nice show halter on and make sure it is fitted correctly. You need to be at "horse level" and with minis that is pretty low. They say to get a profile shot (side), you need to stand on the side of the horse, closer to the hip. Fill the lens with as much of the horse you can, do not have a lot of scenery. Focus on the middle of the horse when you take pictures.

This is from a photo shoot I did on my yearling colt last year. I am not a professional photographer but I have a friend who is
default_smile.png

Aaww. Geeeez. . I tie them to the fence and beg. "Come on, wake up, stand up, put your ears forward, look happy."

Funny but it never works. I've never been able to get a good photo.

Now I know why.

Everyone's comments made me laugh
default_laugh.png
I guess we've all experienced the photo taking woes! haha I posted some photos on the photo forum (I was just testing out some ways to get their attention better) and my dog's squeaky toy worked pretty well! I atleast got their ears up and all
default_wub.png

Lots of good tips...

For those of you who are frustrated by the delay, try using the "Burst" mode. This is particularly good for action photos (rearing, trotting, cantering, etc.) In this mode your camera takes a rapid succession of shots, usually 3-5 within just a second or two. It then allows you to pick the highest point of action out of the sequence. Most digital cameras have this feature... even my very old digital camera from 5-6 years ago had it. My new one has it, too, but it's even faster and clearer. The owner's manuals are definitely worth it if you are unfamiliar with your camera's features.

It allows you to take shots like this with ease:

DiegoTrottingFence.jpg

And you are sure to not have some funky legs or have your horse look off-balance. But most of all, take a billion pictures. Take your camera down to the barn all the time, just in case you get lucky with a shot.

Andrea

Lot's of good tips, makes me feel like running out right now to snap a few!

My only tip would be jingling car keys, that seems to be a great attention getter with mine...

Latest posts

Back