Picture taking....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
We had to get pictures for registration purposes today, and getting decent pictures of the horses is so much more difficult than it looks!
default_wacko.png
I thought I was being pretty clever when I tied a plastic bag around a dressage whip in hopes of getting the horses' attention, but most of the time this is what happened......

050-1.jpg

or this.......

052-1.jpg

When we actually got them to stand still this is what we got...

067-1.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

085.jpg

Where should I take the pictures from? Their shoulder, lower, higher? Should the sun be behind me or what? What do you guys use to perk the horses up? This picture business is hard!
default_rolleyes.gif
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get some good conformation pictures of the horses (for registration it doesn't really matter), but they always seem to turn out pretty crummy.

Getting good pictures is hard, I always take 100 to get just a couple worth using
default_laugh.png
Here are a few examples of the photos I took of my horses this year (and I am no pro by any means).

Sensation3.jpg

Kachina8.jpg

Dunit5.jpg

I take my pictures early in the morning, with the sun just rising to my back...That way, you won't get the "glare" off of the horse's back. Plastic bags usually work fairly well for me, but not always. I like to use a large "stuffed" toy horse, it stands approx 31" and even has a noise button to make it whinney
default_rolleyes.gif
They're made for kids, but it gets my horses' attention great. Sometimes even holding a cat up is enough to get their attention, or using another horse can work too.

Good luck! Looks like you have a very nice little herd there
default_smile.png

so funny been there done that. Now you know why professional photgraphers charge so much money. With todays digital cameras there is always a delay, not like when we used film, so you will miss a lot of good shots. Just take plenty, at least you can say your horses are not spooky! With every one working around here some times I have to take photos by myself for registration with the horse tied, it seems to take forever for them to turn their head and still get all four feet and legs showing. Sometimes you can take a colt or stallion near the mares paddock and they will stand up very nicly, but on the other hand some mares just look at you and say what more do you want from me.

Getting good pictures is hard, I always take 100 to get just a couple worth using
default_laugh.png
Here are a few examples of the photos I took of my horses this year (and I am no pro by any means).

Sensation3.jpg

Kachina8.jpg

Dunit5.jpg

I take my pictures early in the morning, with the sun just rising to my back...That way, you won't get the "glare" off of the horse's back. Plastic bags usually work fairly well for me, but not always. I like to use a large "stuffed" toy horse, it stands approx 31" and even has a noise button to make it whinney
default_rolleyes.gif
They're made for kids, but it gets my horses' attention great. Sometimes even holding a cat up is enough to get their attention, or using another horse can work too.

Good luck! Looks like you have a very nice little herd there
default_smile.png

Thanks for the tips! We used to have a giant stuffed horse that neighed too xD I'll have to find one again! We've got plenty of cats to try getting their attention with too...I'll just have to come up with a creative story to go along with the scratches they'll leave
default_laugh.png
I'm glad you like them, they're great little horses
default_wub.png

so funny been there done that. Now you know why professional photgraphers charge so much money. With todays digital cameras there is always a delay, not like when we used film, so you will miss a lot of good shots. Just take plenty, at least you can say your horses are not spooky! With every one working around here some times I have to take photos by myself for registration with the horse tied, it seems to take forever for them to turn their head and still get all four feet and legs showing. Sometimes you can take a colt or stallion near the mares paddock and they will stand up very nicly, but on the other hand some mares just look at you and say what more do you want from me.

Our oldest, and usually least spookiest, horse was the only one of the six who was freaked out by it
default_biggrin.png
haha. I guess practice and taking tons of pictures to choose from will be my best bet at getting something worth showing!

JaiteraMiniatures said:
Where should I take the pictures from? Their shoulder, lower, higher? Should the sun be behind me or what? What do you guys use to perk the horses up? This picture business is hard!
default_rolleyes.gif
First of all, for conformation shots you need to get down on their level and line yourself up with the horse's girth area just behind the elbow. You want to be at a right angle to the horse, meaning their hip and shoulder are both equally far away from you. It'll skew the proportions if they're standing at an angle. Morning light is good, so is late afternoon light, but no matter what I'd have the sun behind you so the image isn't backlit. It's best if you position yourself a little further back and use the zoom to get the horse to fill the frame as otherwise you'll end up with distortion.

Riverrose28 said:
With todays digital cameras there is always a delay, not like when we used film, so you will miss a lot of good shots.
That's why it's worth it to buy a higher-end point and shoot camera. They can't take pictures fast enough to suit me, but they don't miss the shot you try to take! Having fresh batteries also helps tremendously.

Riverrose28 said:
Just take plenty, at least you can say your horses are not spooky! With every one working around here some times I have to take photos by myself for registration with the horse tied, it seems to take forever for them to turn their head and still get all four feet and legs showing.
With enough time to prep, I cheat. The first thing I teach my horses is to set their feet, freeze in place and prick their ears for me!
default_laugh.png
Given even more time I teach them verbal commands for looking at me and turning their heads away from me so I can get profile shots. The things we do in desperation!
default_rolleyes.gif

I find it's easiest to tie the horse up and have a helper rattle grain or a treat bag or show the horse something new and novel like a sparkly, crinkly cat toy on a pole or even a mirror or animal hide. Be ready to take the picture as whatever you use will lose interest fast!
default_laugh.png
That first moment of bright-eyed investigation is always the best shot.

Leia

We were told by a professional horse photographer that photos that you want to highlight a certain aspect should be taken at the same level as the horse. ie.(for a fullsize) the head of the horse youd stand at the head of the horse, movement you'd want to squat. For the minis , for a head shot you;d want to squat and for the legs you'd pretty much lay on the ground.

But for our photography we typically get on the horses level (squat) and in the morning. I've tried evening light and disliked it.. much too orange!!!! Morning light is a must.

Many pro photographers use animal skins with the head still attached (if that makes sense but its not supposed to be gross) and shake it at them to get that WHAT THE HECK look.

Its useful to watch a professional and pick up some tricks!!

PLUS never stop taking shots. Mom is usually the picture taker and I am the attention-getter. What I tell mom is shoot shoot shoot. As soon as you stop is when you get that amazing shot.

OH and here is a tip. Use PICNIK PHOTO EDITTING to touchup your photo.

I pay $20 for a subscription annually and it helps me create logos and graphics for my website and it has a 'auto fix' tool that automatically tweaks colors and shadows. WELL WORTH IT. It has a hair highlighting tool that I've used to turn a black mane (with the pale sunbleached orange tips) back to all black again.

I use the 'eye bright' tool under 'makeup' to add shine to the hooves and more crispness to the markings. Just a great tool!!!!! After your first handful of editted images it is worth the $20.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We were told by a professional horse photographer that photos that you want to highlight a certain aspect should be taken at the same level as the horse. ie.(for a fullsize) the head of the horse youd stand at the head of the horse, movement you'd want to squat. For the minis , for a head shot you;d want to squat and for the legs you'd pretty much lay on the ground.

But for our photography we typically get on the horses level (squat) and in the morning. I've tried evening light and disliked it.. much too orange!!!! Morning light is a must.

Many pro photographers use animal skins with the head still attached (if that makes sense but its not supposed to be gross) and shake it at them to get that WHAT THE HECK look.

Its useful to watch a professional and pick up some tricks!!

PLUS never stop taking shots. Mom is usually the picture taker and I am the attention-getter. What I tell mom is shoot shoot shoot. As soon as you stop is when you get that amazing shot.

Thank so much for the tips! My camera tends to tak gainy pictures when set on contiuous, but I'll try to figure out how to fix that. You'res right about missing a good picture because of shutter delay...or person delay lol. Thanks again!

First off for just registration pics or transfer pics, they do not need to be anything fancy. The association is just wanting to make sure it is the same horse.

For professional ad pics here are my tips- Morning is best as everyone else is saying. You need at least someone to take the pictures, and at least two helpers, one to hold the horse and one to get the horses attention. You will need plenty of "attention getters" such as umbrella, large mirrors, glittery magic wand, breath spray, Baby powder (spray some in the air), shiny balloon, big stuffed animals, grain buckets, electronic flashing toys, etc..... It does help to have a good camera. I have a Canon Rebel and use all the cheater settings. Plan to take 5-100 pictures per horse to get a few special ones. Make sure horse is clipped and oiled up, just as if you are going in the show pen. Have a nice show halter on and make sure it is fitted correctly. You need to be at "horse level" and with minis that is pretty low. They say to get a profile shot (side), you need to stand on the side of the horse, closer to the hip. Fill the lens with as much of the horse you can, do not have a lot of scenery. Focus on the middle of the horse when you take pictures.

This is from a photo shoot I did on my yearling colt last year. I am not a professional photographer but I have a friend who is
default_smile.png

IMG_3904.JPG

default_new_rofl.gif
Jaiteraminis you crack me up! That was hilarious, but only because I have been there too! I hate taking registration pictures. And trying to get spousal support is not conducive to good pictures, especially when our voices start getting louder and louder, over here, no, move him over there. Stop, there, there, oh man I said stop! etc. etc. Whoever gets elected to take pictures is usually twisted in all kinds of positions. Doesn't help tho.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Time for baths, more clipping and pictures!

default_new_rofl.gif
Jaiteraminis you crack me up! That was hilarious, but only because I have been there too! I hate taking registration pictures. And trying to get spousal support is not conducive to good pictures, especially when our voices start getting louder and louder, over here, no, move him over there. Stop, there, there, oh man I said stop! etc. etc. Whoever gets elected to take pictures is usually twisted in all kinds of positions. Doesn't help tho.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Time for baths, more clipping and pictures!

I'm glad you got a good laugh!
default_laugh.png
And your description sounds JUST like me and my mom! She doesn't know how to work the camera so I take them, but then we're bickering over the moving horse, where the best background is, the positioning of the horse, etc. And we actually get a long very well LOL..photo time is hectic haha!

First off for just registration pics or transfer pics, they do not need to be anything fancy. The association is just wanting to make sure it is the same horse.

For professional ad pics here are my tips- Morning is best as everyone else is saying. You need at least someone to take the pictures, and at least two helpers, one to hold the horse and one to get the horses attention. You will need plenty of "attention getters" such as umbrella, large mirrors, glittery magic wand, breath spray, Baby powder (spray some in the air), shiny balloon, big stuffed animals, grain buckets, electronic flashing toys, etc..... It does help to have a good camera. I have a Canon Rebel and use all the cheater settings. Plan to take 5-100 pictures per horse to get a few special ones. Make sure horse is clipped and oiled up, just as if you are going in the show pen. Have a nice show halter on and make sure it is fitted correctly. You need to be at "horse level" and with minis that is pretty low. They say to get a profile shot (side), you need to stand on the side of the horse, closer to the hip. Fill the lens with as much of the horse you can, do not have a lot of scenery. Focus on the middle of the horse when you take pictures.

This is from a photo shoot I did on my yearling colt last year. I am not a professional photographer but I have a friend who is
default_smile.png
Thanks so much! I can't wait to put everyone's tips into use and get some nice pictures! Good thing my camera can hold 900+ pictures LOL.

I got this from a friend

online equine photography course

Its not cheap but I bet it would be worth it. 6 week online course where you post your pictures every week while they teach you how to improve.

My immediate response was "with alot of screaming and cussing and throwing and stomping and arguing and then giving up" ha ha ha

Registration photos don't have to be pretty (most aren't and the office does not want professional photos for certificates anyway, they'll reject them). Not sure about others or why this happens to us, but several times we've sent in updated photos and the certificates come back with baby photos or other photos not even taken by us or on our property - apparently they file the photos you send away in a drawer somewhere? LOL

And remember that AMHR requires different poses than AMHA does. So makes you have to take quite a few more poses if you're doing both registries. I do find it somewhat difficult to do alone considering you have to pull back the forelock and the tail for head and rear shots - and still be back far enough to get the whole horse in the shot ....... who has arms that long??????????????

Most important is to get DOWN to their level - do not take the photo standing up or overtop of them as they look distorted. Crouch down or kneel to get "even" with them.

Always good if you can attend or have your own photoshoot with a professional. This will be our 2nd year for a farm photo shoot and we learned alot of tips. Colors of horses vs time of day (or daylight in general as in sunny, cloudy, foggy, etc) dictates "when" during that day to do the photos, tips on what to get the horses attention (and believe me it seems any and everything works LOL) . We've had the kids ride a hotwheel on the gravel road and that sparks some interest, we've had the dog or cat perk up a horse and you can always bring in a stud or mare depending on the horse you're shooting to get some pretty good shots during their interaction. If you know of a photo shoot near you, ask if you can attend just to watch and observe, then apply those techniques yourself. Of course, if you have a $2,000 camera, that helps alot too but the basics at least will help no matter what camera you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandy B said:
I have a Canon Rebel and use all the cheater settings.
Cheater settings?? *ears perk up*

WhiteTailsMinis said:
Registration photos don't have to be pretty (most aren't and the office does not want professional photos for certificates anyway, they'll reject them). Not sure about others or why this happens to us, but several times we've sent in updated photos and the certificates come back with baby photos or other photos not even taken by us or on our property - apparently they file the photos you send away in a drawer somewhere? LOL
Isn't that frustrating??
default_wacko.png
I spent weeks trying to get the right lighting and a helper and such for my colt's registration shots last fall, finally had to pay for rush servicing, and then they sent them back with his ugly original foal photos!
default_frusty.gif
Turns out they won't put the new photos on unless you ask, they just want proof that it's the same horse as was already on the papers.
default_rolleyes.gif

WhiteTailsMinis said:
And remember that AMHR requires different poses than AMHA does. So makes you have to take quite a few more poses if you're doing both registries. I do find it somewhat difficult to do alone considering you have to pull back the forelock and the tail for head and rear shots - and still be back far enough to get the whole horse in the shot ....... who has arms that long?????????????
LOL! Tuck the forelock back under the halter (using a hair clip to hold it there if necessary) and braid up the tail. Easy peasy!

Leia

For fun shots--not ones for papers, I feel patience is the best trait to apply. Being willing to hold your camera on the subject for a long long time despite bugs, etc. I usually don't have an extra hand, so the biggest problem is the horse coming to me--it's hard to take action photos when the subjects are all at my elbow.
default_rolleyes.gif
I've started standing outside the fence, but in a spot where I can keep the fence out of the photos. Editing--another issue.

For fun shots--not ones for papers, I feel patience is the best trait to apply. Being willing to hold your camera on the subject for a long long time despite bugs, etc. I usually don't have an extra hand, so the biggest problem is the horse coming to me--it's hard to take action photos when the subjects are all at my elbow.
default_rolleyes.gif
I've started standing outside the fence, but in a spot where I can keep the fence out of the photos. Editing--another issue.

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to take pictures of the horses when they're right in your face! LOL t's almost impossible to get pictures without someone else distracting them for you haha
default_smile.png

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to take pictures of the horses when they're right in your face! LOL t's almost impossible to get pictures without someone else distracting them for you haha
default_smile.png
That is so true, and funny. Last year I had a woman call me and ask for rcent photo's of one of my fillies. I foolishly say I'll send them in about an hour. Stupid me! This filly is in your pocket, in your face, aren't you going to brush me, how about a snack, what is that black thing in your hands. I'll just keep walking up to you expecting something, anything, whats up! Took me forever to get new pictures and even then she was always looking at me. I guess it's better to have a sweet in your face baby then one always running away.

Latest posts

Back