Picture of my colt that mom won't accept

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

Hope the baby and momma are doing better! I have not read all the posts here, but have you tried giving her banamine? It sounds like she could be sore and most likely is if she is not nursing her foal much. You could releive the milk from her, try some banamine for pain?

Good luck....

Hello

Hope the baby and momma are doing better! I have not read all the posts here, but have you tried giving her banamine? It sounds like she could be sore and most likely is if she is not nursing her foal much. You could releive the milk from her, try some banamine for pain?

Good luck....

Oh yes...we have been giving banamine....I have hobbled her....but unless I make the hobbles really tight...all she has to do is flex her leg and the colt backs off....now when I go to put the hobbles on her she gets mad at me...and that is something I don't want....she is a mare that loves attention from people...and I don't want to turn her against me or anyone else....somehow she has it in her mind that this little guy is nothing but pain....but...still working on it....keeping them in stalls next to each other...and my stalls are wood plank stalls...so there are 4" of space between each plank where they can see and smell each other...I take them out together for walks...and he will run circles around her...but he won't get any closer than 2 or 3 feet from her....he quit trying to get close to her when she started charging him....

I am so grateful for all of the suggestions from everyone here on the forum.....almost 20 years of raising horses...and we have never had a momma who won't take her baby....

Becky

You need to keep the mare in the stall with the foal but I do not agree with tying her up, I just don't!

You can make up a stall within a stall, where the baby will be able to stand and turn and be there, smell, sight etc, but Mama is not restricted either, and not just some nurse cow....sorry, but there are more humane ways of doing this, and still getting a good result, I know as I have done it.

There is a good chance, if you restrict the mare as suggested, she will resent the foal even more- I know I would.

You should not allow the foal to approach the mare without you being there and the mare being held- if you do this religiously, always being present and always holding the mare, eventually you will be able to back off and there is a good chance of a good ending. Tying the mare, I do not think I would ever trust letting her loose, whereas with the more humane route you can back off a bit at a time, keeping up on the pain meds and the sedative until you are sure. As I said at the start it took me 15 days this last time, til the mare was what I would call "normal" but that is the longest it has ever taken.

The foal, if you are hand rearing, would be better off, as some have said, on a bowl than a bottle, and I normally have my orphan foals weaned onto a mash feed by one month- obviously they still have milk pellets in there, but, again, they wean off a lot quicker than a natural raised foal as there is no emotional tie to break.

I have never had a problem with foals drinking water and all my foals, orphans and otherwise, are drinking water by 2/3 days- I would worry of they were not. Whilst I can see the dangers of an orphan drinking too much water, if the milk feeds offered are right it should not have any more need to drink water than a natural raised foal.

So- clean water at all times, maybe just not a HUGE bucket of the stuff
default_wink.png
In 2009 I almost lost a colt due to drinking water instead of nursing that was only three days old.doc

Back