Picture of Bump on my fillys face.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
I was thinking the bump was in a diferent spot but it is not... In stead of trying to explain it I will just show the picture? Is this an Abscess? If it is do I need to see the vet ASAP?

IMG_3916_2.jpg

Thanks,

Gage

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still difficult to say what it is from a pic. If you horse doesn't appear sick and is eating normally, it's not urgent.

Is it painful? Is it hard or soft? I can't tell if it's actually sticking out or a flatish lump.

If there's little pain, it's sticking out and hard, it looks like a sarcoid. A wart-like lump that isn't dangerous but can be a nuisance as they may grown. They can also become open and attract flies in summer. Although difficult to treat without surgery, we recently found a cream called Exxterra made by Larson Laboratories, Fort Collins CO which is extremely effective. It can take weeks for the lump to go but it works. A sarcoid would also take weeks to get to this size so if it's appeared recently, it's probably not a sarcoid.

If it's painful, and fairly flat, it's likely to be an abcess. This is just a build up of puss at the site of a small wound. Best thing to do with it is bathe with hand hot water with a little salt in it. This will soften the skin and allow the wound to burst and drain.

Your horse should be up to date with tetanus shots in any case. And if you've any doubts, get the vet to check it.

Kate

If it were me, I'd schedule an appt. fairly soon to have it looked at if she seems otherwise healthy.

Hope she's just fine, soon.

Liz M.

Untill the vet can see it, it would not hurt to spray with Listerine, kills bacteria.

Found this info:

Sarcoids are the most common skin tumors of the horse, Dr. Sargent says. “Thought to be viral in cause, sarcoids frequently occur in areas subject to trauma and may spread to other areas on the same horse or to other horses through biting, rubbing, fomites (inanimate objects such as tack, grooming tools, et cetera) or insects.”

Look for: Wart-like, proud flesh-like or flat plaque surfaces, usually on the ears, lips, neck and ventral abdomen or around the eyes.

Treatment: Surgical removal, topical therapies.

Equine ear papillomas are viral-induced skin tumors likely transmitted by black flies, Dr. Sargent reports. They occur in horses of all ages.

Look for: Warts in the ear.

Treatment: Topical products, although rarely effective.

Viral papillomatosis (warts) are also viral-induced tumors that occur in young horses less than 1 year of age.

Look for: Small warts on the muzzle and lips.

Treatment: “Spontaneous resolution usually within three months, although a vaccine made from the wart itself has been used and may speed resolution,” Dr. Sargent says. “Surgical excision or cryosurgery are effective if removal for cosmetic reasons is needed.”

Urticaria (hives) is a common, allergic response that can be caused by many things, including diet, insect bites and drugs (the most common cause).

Look for: The sudden appearance of hive-like lesions, which can occur anywhere on the body but typically on the face, neck, chest and upper legs, Dr. Sargent says. “They may or may not be itchy. Lesions typically last from a few hours to a few days.”

Treatment: Identifying and eliminating the causative agent. According to Dr. Sargent, “Severe urticaria reactions can be treated with antihistamines (hydroxyzine hydrochloride) and corticosteroids.”

Photosensitization is an abnormal, inflammatory skin reaction to UV light that occurs in areas with white hair and pink skin. “A systemic disease, there are two forms of photosensitization,” Dr. Sargent explains. “A primary form associated with eating certain plants (St. John’s Wort, oats, clover, vetch, alfalfa, et cetera), and a secondary form that occurs with liver disease.

Look for: Skin that becomes swollen, red, cracked and oozing. In many instances there will be loss of skin. With secondary photosensitization, the horse will also be itchy.

Treatment: “Primary photosensitization is treated by eliminating access to the offending plants and keeping the horse out of the sun,” Dr. Sargent notes. Topical antibiotic/steroid ointments are also beneficial, he says “With secondary photosensitization, treatment is directed toward managing the liver problem.”

Risk Reducer

You can help reduce the risk of your horse developing skin problems by utilizing appropriate management practices. “Good insect control is very important, as insect bites and insect allergies are a common cause of itchy skin,” Dr. Sargent says.

Avoid excess bathing with shampoo, which can contribute to or cause skin disease. Limit your horse’s exposure to rain, provide shelter for outside horses, and groom regularly (but not excessively) with clean grooming equipment. Don’t share tack or grooming supplies with affected horses. “Frequently run your hands over your horse,” Dr. Bain says. “This can be one important way to find skin disease as you might feel a nodule or crust before it becomes visually obvious.”

Be wary about using home remedies recommended by other laypeople: “Some can be very irritating to the skin,” Dr. Sargent warns. “Products containing full strength iodine, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, fungicides, turpentine, kerosene, motor oil, Listerine, et cetera. My rule of thumb is if I wouldn’t put it on my own skin/wound, I wouldn’t use it on my horse!”

Stay away from products that don’t list ingredients, and avoid using multiple products or switching from one product to the next from day to day: This makes it difficult to determine whether any one product is working or whether the products themselves are perpetuating or causing skin lesions. Only use products developed for horses—they are made to address equine pH levels.

Should your horse develop skin problems, don’t push the panic button. With mild cases, shampoo or spray with antibacterial and antifungal products, as described earlier, and monitor your horse’s condition. If you don’t see improvement within seven to 10 days, or your horse’s skin problems spread or worsen, summon your veterinarian.

* This article first appeared in the August 2005 issue of Horse Illustrated.

Subscribe today!

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is big enough that I would have a vet look at it, if it were me.....

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it could be anything from a huge wart, a fleshy tumor, to a Tick!

MA

I was thinking the bump was in a diferent spot but it is not... In stead of trying to explain it I will just show the picture? Is this an Abscess? If it is do I need to see the vet ASAP?

IMG_3916_2.jpg

Thanks,

Gage
It looks like it could be a hystiocytoma.

Latest posts

Back