pics of silver dapple babies please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupper

Reaction score
With Getitia's help, we think that our new foal may be a silver dapple. If anyone has pictures of silver dapples as babies, could you please post them? Would like to see how ours compares.

Thanks!

Congratulations!! Here is a picture of my little guy, Dusty Bottoms, a 2005 baby.

dusty.gif

Earthangelfilly2.jpg

Silver Dapple Dun

002_2A-1.jpg

Silver dapple bay

cricketfilly-1.jpg

Silver Dapple

Here are some pictures of our '07 Silver Black colt. When a newborn, he was as slver as galvanized pipe.

IMG0266_00_005.jpg

As the sun worked on him, he turned almost a Palomino color, even more than this photo shows. I easily understand why they call them "Taffy" in some parts of the world. This is him on the left.

IMG0378_00_024.jpg

After being clipped, he was again Silver, but darker and dapples beginning to show.

IMG0603_00_006.jpg

Around his eyes and nose, he is much darker. I expect he will continue to darken with age.

Silver bay in the background, Silver Black in front!

Hero-hugh3.jpg

Their Sire Appy is homozygous for Silver, so we'll be getting lots of photos of silver babies in the future!

Here is a silver dapple colt. His mom, shown here, I think carries silver.

The sire is a black & white pinto.

This is Mr Swan. He has been purchased by a very successful driving lady-person and we are

SO happy for them both!

Before and after clipping...

DSC_0072web.jpg

DSC_0234MrSwanweb.jpg

MaggieMrSwanweb.jpg

promDSC_7111.jpg

Little America's Prom Guy Terrif

blazeDSC_9776.jpg

Little America's Silver Blaze

Here's our two foals from this year, both of them silver (black).

Circle J Lord Stanley

stanley2.jpg

Circle J Lucky 13

lucky2.jpg

OK I am still trying to understand the color thing. Why do some silvers look beige and chocolate? Others are blue and a true "silver" What makes them REALLY classified as Silver instead of chocolate Palamino? thanks so much

"silver" is a modifier, not an actual color. The silver gene acts on black to lighten the color to varying degrees. Some silver blacks will have a very light "dapple grey" body color--such as maryann's 4 year old photo above--while others will be a dark chocolate color, like Ice Man below:

IceMan05.jpg

This was Ice Man at the age of 3 months:

Iceman3mosa.jpg

This is Silverado at the age of 3 months:

Silverfuzzy.jpg

At birth he looked palomino (golden) but by the time he was a month old he'd faded to the color above.

This is Silverado at 1 year:

Silver03_1_4x6.jpg

He is a silver black, but a very light one. At maturity he is a little bit darker, especially in spring when he first sheds out, then over summer he lightens up again.

The filly I posted earlier: (she did not inherit the grey gene by the way)

IMG_0116.jpg

became this color as she got a little older:

Img_0191.jpg

And then became this as a yearling (neck shows her real color--she still has a bit of winter fuzz in places!):

IMG_0811aasm.JPG

As you can see silver blacks come in many shades, and can have major color changes between foaling and maturity. Why are they silver blacks and not chocolate palominos? Because genetically they are black horses with the silver gene. Some may look like chocolate palominos as foals, but they grow up to be obvious silver blacks. Some will look like chocolate palominos even at maturity. I would point out, though, that many so called chocolate palominos are in reality silver blacks, and not palomino at all. To be palomino a horse must be red based with a cream gene. If all "chocolate palominos" were DNA tested I think there'd be a few surprised owners when the test came back showing their palomino was black based!

Smokey, 2006 colt foal. We were'nt sure with his colour when born as his dam is black tobiano & his sire registered as red roan (his sire is silver dapple)........

At 6 weeks of age.

new_wreckingrug-1.jpg

Head clipped out when weaned.

new_101_0205.jpg

Show when 6mths old.

new_100_0538.jpg

And his sire......

dancers.jpg

And my colt (uncle to Smokey)

As a foal.

foal.jpg

foal2.jpg

Clipped.

IMG_6070.jpg

Now (well summer coat, lol).

new_101_0278.jpg

Here is my ONTHEBIT BUCKS KRISTYNNA

Here is Krissy at about 7-8 months and in her winter woolies :bgrin

HPIM0232.jpg

And here she is last weekend at 2 years old

(She had a need to stick her tounge out at the moment :bgrin)

june23-2007037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the silver dapple foal I had born this year - at just a day old (and was two weeks early, born at around 310)

e98e28b4.jpg

The foal in my avatar is a silver on black ( silver dapple)

When I clipped her out, (same horse) over a month ago, she looked practically white, but today she has definate dapples showing, with a white mane and tail.

santanahead2.jpg

Latest posts

Back