Picking up are mini's saturday!Pic of are boy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinm

Reaction score
So deals have been made and horse trailer reserved we will be going to pick up are 2 mini's on Saturday!!!!
default_thumbup.gif
We are so excited the barn is almost done.We gut it and the floor is down walls insulated we dug the ground to put the water line under so it doesn't freeze in the winter.We are going to make a removavble divider in there as they are coming for 2 diffrent farms untill they get use to each other.I went horse shopping yesterday
default_yes.gif

I want something to put there grain in is a miniature foal feeder good for when they are adults?

Here are pics of are boy the second pic is now.

BLAZE.jpg

DSC05066.JPG

How cute! Are you also getting the yearling filly you loved? Cant wait to see tons of photos! Do they have names yet?

Yes I am getting the one year old filly I loved!

They named him Blaze and her Gypse I don't think we are keeping them.

Do i buy hay bags or are they a waste of money??????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy for you and feel your excitement! You've got a couple of cuties there.

Please do not use any kind of hay bags or hay nets. They will find a way to get themselves tangled up or stuck. Put the hay on the floor in their normal grazing position. I also have used a variety of all kinds of buckets and feeders over the years. I finally ended up with regular big horse corner feeders. They are really big for the amount of feed used of course, but they work very well. I prefer all my water and feeders to have no handles on them for safety reasons. But if you have one with handles, use duct tape wrapped around where the handle meets the bucket for safety.My feeders are installed very low, only about 1 1/2 feed from the floor, again to be in a more natural eating position. Best wishes to you!

Yes I am getting the one year old filly I loved!

They named him Blaze and her Gypse I don't think we are keeping them.

Do i buy hay bags or are they a waste of money??????
While they are young, especially, I'd skip the hay bags and buy a big tub to put their hay in on the ground. Something like this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/fortex-round-feeder-15-gal-capacity-black-2171378 Or one of these: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-15-gal--2221034 I know its says its a water tank, but they work great for hay feeders.

Congrats on your new arrivals.

Congrats on your new babies. I feel your excitement and am so glad you came here, learned a lot, did your prep ahead of time and are ready before they arrive! Good for you!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone.Glad I didn't spend the $60 on hay bags.I didn't buy buckets yet cause wasn't sure which one .

Thanks for the advice everyone.Glad I didn't spend the $60 on hay bags.I didn't buy buckets yet cause wasn't sure which one .
Some day, you might want to try hay bags, if you need to slow down their consumption, but they are both young, so need to eat plenty of good hay.

For grain, I like this style of pan, they are harder to tip over: http://www.horse.com/item/fortiflex-low-pan-3-gallon-black/SLT901472/ You might be able to find something locally. I also use quite a few of the plain pans for those that don't play in their feed (they are relatively cheap): http://www.horse.com/item/fortiflex-mini-pan/BSF56/ (The link is for the mini pan, but they come in black in a 3-gal size; the mini might be just fine for your minis).

Like Marty..I use big horse corner feeders.Congratulations on your new Babies..They are adorable
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

Will you be gelding the colt? if not, be careful putting them together in the same pasture. Even young colts can breed....
default_whistling.gif

As Marty said, if you use regular horse buckets for feed or water, please wrap the handles were it attaches to the bucket...I had a mare catch her nostril on one recently and she ripped a vein, so she bled A LOT (thankfully we were there when it happened!) and needed stitches.

Horses can and do find ways to injure themselves so just wander around their pasture and take notice of anything that may attract them or where they can get into trouble.

Want to see pics of them when you get them home and settled!
default_yes.gif

Yes plan on gelding him.I bought yesterday off line from the link Chanda put up so no handles.My biggest fear with all my French bulldogs is something stupid like that and It will be the same with my minis for handles etc...and I will be walking through everything to make sure they don't get into trouble.I will post pics when they get home .This week is going so slow,then yesterday was finishing the outside of the barn with my 2 girls and got stung by a hornet.Right above the eye now my face is all nice and swollen and my eye is almost closed..ughh

Linda do you have a pic of your Black bay>?I would lioke to see as my little guy is suppose to be a black or black bay when his fur changes.

Linda do you have a pic of your Black bay>?I would lioke to see as my little guy is suppose to be a black or black bay when his fur changes.
Not Linda, but my stallion is black bay. Here's Topper:

Topper - Aug 17, 2011 - mona's files 8.jpg

Your guy may or may not turn out this color, as there are many shades of every color, so he may or may not get this dark. But you can see the brown areas on Topper, his muzzle, flanks and soft spots.

Thanks Chanda they said he will be black or black bay any color is fine with me..lol My yearling still has some baby fur should she be the color she is staying now or change she looks like a white grey and she is a dappling .

Latest posts

Back