Photos to use when selling a weanling????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
We were so sure this foal was already sold to someone we knew ... (sound familiar??) So we don't have any nice conformation shots from this summer, although we do have a ton of photos from all angles and doing everything. She was just weaned and then clipped, and - surprise, surprise - she has a bit of a belly and does not look her best. But we are trying to get some nice clipped photos, posed and moving. We notice that most ads for weanlings use photos from before weaning (I can guess why!!) and wonder which we should use in ads? If you were shopping, would you be more apt to look at a "cute" photo or can you see through the belly and see the nice, refined, well-conformed (and TINY) mini? And how important are CURRENT photos??

Well, I'm interested too.

I never clipped my babies this summer, I've just let them be babies, so they are all fuzzy, and with winter approaching in MT, they won't be clipped. So, all I have is cute fuzzy baby pics to sell by. I just might be keeping them all til spring, when I can clip them at that time.

We still have a horse show in 2 weeks plus we are taking a bunch to Equine Affaire in November so we still have a lot of clipping (and blanketing) to do! I figure all the horses at Worlds are being clipped this week so it isn't like we will have the only clipped horses this time of year.

I would say that you should use the cute photos from earlier in the summer. You might include a 'now' photo, or you can wait and send the now photos to anyone that inquires.

I will certainly consider buying a weanling based on foal photos--heck, I have bought yearlings based on foal photos!--and then if I see the now photos I can look past a pot belly. Weanlings do tend to get bellies, and I can be reasonably sure that the belly will go away again.

If I were to see an ad with just 'now' photos of a weanling--and if that weanling isn't looking really great it may be that I am completely turned off and won't inquire or buy.

Advertise with the best you've got (including sire/dam since that's what I buy from) and send the recent photos when buyers ask for more info.

I post both. I had a interested buyer for my filly and gave her both clipped 2 month old pics, and her fat fuzzy 5 month old pics. I also attached both clipped pics of parents and pasture pics of parents. Also added all info. She sold!

Well, the ad was posted last night with 5 month old clipped photos and url for our website with photos from younger days, plus sire, dam, siblings, etc. Got an e-mail already from someone interested and sent her more photos just now. The new photos included a current pic of her dam (taken yesterday, so fuzzy) after 9 pregnancies, and we think she looks pretty awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have been looking for a couple new minis to add to my barn and I have been really looking for weanlings! I just purchased a weanling filly today and I liked her foal photos from when she was only a couple weeks old and under. Her fuzzy weanling photos are actually what sold me! I knew I liked her before and I really loved her when I saw her current photos. They were very casual, she was trotting along side her dam and other foals in the field. I personally wouldn't just buy off of foal photos if I know I could see current. I can see past all the fuzz. This filly was only listed with her foal photos, which I personally think is a great idea. I requested current photos, received 2 that were almost identical and she was mine.

If I were to personally list a weanling I think I would post lots of professional foal photos, and have current photos ready for when I had buyers ask. Hope that helps!

default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back