Pet Peeves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am afraid I am guilty of Several of the Charges
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png
default_no.gif
So I would like to Apologize
default_yes.gif

I am with Jill on the Silver Dapples being Called Gray
default_thumbdown.gif
they aren't gray!
default_gaah.gif
they are "Silver"
default_poke.gif

One of my other Pet Peeves is: When Someone is Selling the Pedigree rather then the Horse himself.

"Own son" and "direct son" drive me up the wall! Is there such a thing as an indirect son??

The use of the term "Grand National Champion" also bugs me when it is used to describe a National Grand Champion as opposed to the winner of that very famous race in England.

I love it when horses do well at shows and the owners get to brag on them, but what really drives me nuts is when the horse is promoted as "Top Ten" when there weren't even ten horses in the class!

And I hate it when a person continues to show their horse in a class where it has already earned its Hall of Fame! What's the point of that??? You can't earn two halter HOF's, for example, and it ruins the chances of the other horses in the class to earn points towards theirs! I can see if the horse has a new owner after having earned it and maybe they want the experience, but not the same owner on the same horse! That bugs me more than just about anything.

Oh, and the word "carting" instead of "driving" is another little irksome thing for me.

Oh, and the word "carting" instead of "driving" is another little irksome thing for me.
I have to giggle at this one...I agree completely, as "carting" sounds like something done with a goat or a Swiss mountain dog, but on the other hand, I always get quizzical looks from my non-horsey friends when I talk about "training my horse to drive." I have to assure them we're not turning the van keys over to Mingus...

Just as there is "Sports English," so there is "Horse English." Technically speaking I would be training my horse to be driven, but what do I say? I'm training my horse to drive.

But continuing with Sunny's post, "own son" drives me nuts! As does those who list a horse as "37/73rds Arenosa" or whatever insane percentage. And some of the inventive math, especially when emphasizing Buckeroo blood, is quite amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just knew I should have read my post again and slow down my typing
default_biggrin.png
But I did say I was very capable of Typo after Typo.

I also notice on some for sale sites here (Ireland) people selling top quality show miniatures of unknown breeding that are nothing like what we are striving to produce but are being sold for very little money look cute and then being bred which is just turning the miniature into a joke in my mind. 90% of these are for gelding and if we want to improve the breed here we need to get into the gelding frame of mind and push the gelding classes to the fore and promote the heck out of them.

I have not read thru all of these posts, but will soon as I finish here.
default_biggrin.png

Pet peeves for me would be:

Own son of......

Out of stallion so and so.......

And just using the word "stud" to describe a male horse. Don't know why that word bugs me but it does.

default_doh.gif

And since we're talking about peeves...I'd like to add one. How about when you see a horse on the sales board that you are very drawn to and email the person and get no reply. People,..... at least a courtesy "thank you but she's been sold" or "thank you but there's a sale pending" ...or ANY reply would be nicely appreciated. (And yes I know the emails get lost etc...etc.... I'm not talking about those) I'm talking about the sellers that never bother to contact a prospective buyer back. And yes I'm grumpy about it because it has recently happened to me......
default_impatient.jpg

Most of these pet peeves have to do with grammer so maybe this one doesn't belong on here, but the tread is titled "Pet Peeves" so this is my primary one....why on earth do people hardship or just register a horse with two completely different names under AMHA and AMHR? That is my number one pet peeve for sure. Like I said...maybe this should be a different post...sorry if it should be...but this drives me crazy.

Most of these pet peeves have to do with grammer so maybe this one doesn't belong on here, but the tread is titled "Pet Peeves" so this is my primary one....why on earth do people hardship or just register a horse with two completely different names under AMHA and AMHR? That is my number one pet peeve for sure. Like I said...maybe this should be a different post...sorry if it should be...but this drives me crazy.
This one I do understand in most cases, but sometimes I agree that it's a little weird when a very different name is chosen! I just bought a stallion who's AMHR name is Rykas General Lee and then his AMHA name (hardshipped) is Starstrucks Phantom. But maybe they already had a General Lee?? Many times when hardshipping it is hard to stick with the same name the horse already had. First you have to change the prefix because most farms have those 'locked' and then depending on your own prefix the rest might be too long. I've had that happen once so was forced to change it. I like to stick with the same name when I can though because otherwise it gets confusing! It's nice when I'm hardshipping my own home-bred babies, because then I can match the name exactly
default_smile.png

Ours have two names because we figured if we liked the horse well enough to want to hardship it, something the breeder didn't do, then we'd name it what WE wanted. Especially if it had a name we didn't like in the first place.

I just hardshipped my mare MCC Ice Majic into AMHR and they let me use the same name. I can understand that people feel as though they have the "right" to name it whatever they want because they are paying for it...but also understand that when people are cross referencing on the stud book that they may very well pass over the offspring of your horse because they do not believe it is double registered. First of all people who have a large number of horses...usually "never" would do this because they realize the hardship it imposes when they are trying to do their paperwork. To me personally...it just doesn't make sense...now the one about the name being too long....I can understand that somewhat....but "just because"....I don't understand that one at all as to the public...it truly takes away from that horses identity.

Yes. It is a grandson or great grandson.
default_yes.gif
A grandson or great grandson is NOT a son -- it is a grandson or great grandson. The term, direct son, is redundant, as by definition "son" means the first generation progeny of the sire.

As for the word "stud," my understanding is that stud refers to (or at least used to refer to) the breeding operation, as in the National Stud. A stallion stands at stud when he is being used for breeding (typically for paying customers). However, although I dislike the term stud used in place of stallion, it appears to be a case where usage is winning out over tradition.

Keep in mind that regional or popular usage does not necessarily mean proper usage; however, our language is a living, changing thing, for better or worse. After many years, popular usage may come to be accepted as proper (compare US English to the King's English)

Most of these pet peeves have to do with grammer so maybe this one doesn't belong on here, but the tread is titled "Pet Peeves" so this is my primary one....why on earth do people hardship or just register a horse with two completely different names under AMHA and AMHR?
As someone who has hardshipped and or registered older horses into both AMHA & AMHR, I can answer that question from my perspective. There have been a couple of stallions that really had inappropriate names in one registry, IMO. So, I chose to change their names when I hardshipped/registered them into another. One of those was a horse I showed who when on to win multiple World Top 10's and a World Championship. His name in one registry is just not befitting a horse of that caliber to me. The other horse has a name that I find offensive and I did not want to use that name when I registered him.

I also hardshipped in a mare who had a name in one registry that I had already used in the other registry. So, I chose to change her name to just her call name when I hardshipped her.

I do prefer to keep the same name in both registries. But, sometimes for various reasons, it's just not in the best interest of the horse.

Posted Today, 02:21 PM

Songcatcher, on 10 September 2010 - 04:01 AM, said:

Yes. It is a grandson or great grandson.

A grandson or great grandson is NOT a son -- it is a grandson or great grandson. The term, direct son, is redundant, as by definition "son" means the first generation progeny of the sire.

Keep in mind that regional or popular usage does not necessarily mean proper usage; however, our language is a living, changing thing, for better or worse. After many years, popular usage may come to be accepted as proper (compare US English to the King's English)
I must respectfully disagree, and give references.

In 1611, King James' translators referred to Belshazzar (grandson of Nebuchadnezzar) as "...thou his son, O Belshazzar....".

To give a more modern reference, I wish I had a dollar for every horse referred to as a "Buckeroo colt" who is actually a grandson, great-grandson, or likely even farther down the line. The term "own son" or "direct son" may be redundant, but it does emphasize that the colt is indeed a son of said animal, not just a descendant of.
default_wink.png

To give a more modern reference, I wish I had a dollar for every horse referred to as a "Buckeroo colt" who is actually a grandson, great-grandson, or likely even farther down the line. The term "own son" or "direct son" may be redundant, but it does emphasize that the colt is indeed a son of said animal, not just a descendant of.
default_wink.png
I get that a lot with my (Arabian stallion) Khemosabi++++// son - people ask how he's bred, I say "He's by Khemosabi" - they say "Grandson? Or Great grandson?"... I say "he's BY Khemo, he's a SON"... *argh*

I think naming a horse in one registry differently to it's original name is a bit dishonest. It gives the impression that you bred the animal, when you did not. Just because a horse was not dual registered at birth does not give a right to the owners to change the name. There should be an agreement among the registries that, unless there is good reason to change a name, it is not changed, if it duplicates and already used name the term "2nd" or even the letters of the original registry, thus, " Carlos Little Apache AMHR" could be used. The AMHA already does this to discriminate an already used prefix, as with Birchwood UK, for example, where this prefix was already in use in the states. What is the problem?

If the name is offensive then, yes, it should be changed, but a note should be kept of the original name.

I am not so bothered by "own son" as I am by "Buckeroo colt" or "Buckeroo bred" (those are the most common here) when the animal is the great great grandson of a horse that once stood next to Buckeroo (or so it seems!!!)

Another pet hate? ECT for ETC. Etc is short for Et Cetera, therefore it cannot be shortened to ECT!!!

Dishonest on the part of whom? People often have no choice but to use a different name, because the registry doesn't allow one to register a horse under someone else's prefix if that prefix is reserved. So if I buy Shady Lane Sam (making up names here!) with AMHA papers & try to hardship him into AMHR, if Fred has reserved the prefix Shady Lane with AMHR then I cannot register Sam under Shady Lane Sam unless I get Fred's permission to use that name. If I cannot find Fred or Fred won't reply to my e-mails or phone calls, then I have two choices--do not register Sam with AMHR or register him using a different name. That is no dishonesty on my part!

I think it's silly for AMHR to register Sam with me showing as original owner--I don't know why they cannot credit the horse to the actual breeder/original owner, and therefore use that person's prefix, and then show me as the current owner just by virtue of the fact that I am the current owner on the AMHA papers--to me that would make more sense.

But, it does't count as one of my peeves because I have no plans to buy anything AMHA nor have to deal with hardshipping it into AMHR. Doesn't matter to me--whatever is on the AMHR papers is good enough for me. I can find enough other pet peeves to peeve me!
default_biggrin.png

I agree with the etc. Etc. is short for ETCETERA and so it cannot be anything but ETC when abbreviated! I also wish people would learn to use loose/lose properly! You can lose your wallet or even lose a horse, but tell me please how you loose a horse or loose a sale?

Great, now I can't remember if I used ect. or etc. in the past! I know etc. is correct. I need more coffee. Since we are talking about pet peeves, and correct grammar usage I too, not being a breeder, and not too swift with grammar thought I was wrong about the usage of the word stud. I have seen it used on websites and sale ads so often I thought I was wrong. To me it was always a stallion standing at stud, not a stud standing at stud. Which brings me to two words I really get aggravated by the improper usage of, seen, and sale. Too many times people will write or say, "I seen it the other day." Or "I seen a really great Buckaroo bred colt for sale." I saw, I saw, I saw. Not I seen. And I am confused by people using sale to indicate selling a horse. Maybe I am wrong since I see it constantly but it sure bugs me. "I had to sale my horse today." Really? Did you take oars, or do you have a motor on that sailboat?

I also hate the word dead...as in dead broke horse for sale ....does this horse have no money or what??
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I love it!

All great
default_laugh.png

Same goes for a dirty house. Too often, I've seen that a really nasty house goes hand-in-hand with improperly cared-for animals (I'm not talking just unkept and dusty. I'm talking NASTY). Now...of course, I've also seen very educated people run bloody awful operations too (and be very dishonest).

I've known someone with a nasty house but the barn was always kept neat and clean and like another poster said, she'd rather do barn work then house work.

I should leave this post without spell checking it, something is wrong with either my keyboard or computer and my cursor doesn't always type the keys i hit so it looks like i can't spell very good.

Now to my pet peeve, when someone is advertising a horse with Buckeroo bloodlines and they spell Buckeroo wrong :arg!

I have not read all the entries so if someone has already mentioned this I do apologize...one of my pet peeves is when I inquire on a horse and it is like pulling teeth to get an answer to my questions beyond a word or maybe 2.....I don't like to call because my phone is low volume and does not turn up and makes it hard to hear sometimes (can't be because I am old...naw) so I love my email in that respect..but come on...you put the ad on ...you have the horse for sale....I would like to know the things you did not mention in your ad....if I am going to drive 3-4 hours to look at a horse then I want to be sure its at least 90% what I am looking for....

Latest posts

Back