Pet Peeves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You untie it.
default_new_rofl.gif
Funny man! Yes, that thought did actually cross my mind too!
default_biggrin.png

I sometimes use really bad grammar when I'm talking to the cats. For instance, if a cat has been missing all day & then finally shows up, I'll scoop him up for a hug & say "I thought you was losted"
default_laugh.png
Baby talk for sure. I try not to use such awful grammar anywhere else!

LOL, secret bad grammar kitty person here too. But only with the kitty. "Why you jumpted up there kitten?" and such....glad I am not alone.

LOL!! Oh yes, secret animal talk and ALL grammer goes out the window
default_yes.gif

Just want to say that this is a great thread - am so enjoying it (or should I say 'I am' to be grammatically correct?) Oooop's now I'm wondering, looking at what I have typed - grammatically looks wrong, should there actually be two 'm's' in it? There must be as there are two in grammer, but it still looks wrong to me! Off to ask one of the younger generation - no, that won't work as very few of them can spell either LOL!!

Most of my pet peeves have already been listed here, but my main one is when I type a word and it looks wrong, even 'feels' wrong, I just get so frustrated that my little grey cells refuse to give me an answer. Eventually I just leave it and put it down to old age LOL!!

Keep posting my friends - this is both entertaining and enlightening
default_aktion033.gif

And I hate it when a person continues to show their horse in a class where it has already earned its Hall of Fame! What's the point of that??? You can't earn two halter HOF's, for example, and it ruins the chances of the other horses in the class to earn points towards theirs! I can see if the horse has a new owner after having earned it and maybe they want the experience, but not the same owner on the same horse! That bugs me more than just about anything.

I've shown horses in halter classes after they've won their Hall of Fame, but usually it's for a reason, such as to finish out the year's All Stars placings, or because of our local club's year-end awards, or because the horse is a gelding and is in the local club's gelding incentive which requires the horse to show in a halter class at each show.
default_smile.png

There are surely other reasons for continuing to show a horse in Halter classes after earning their Hall of Fame, but I do agree that it's a good idea to expand your horizons and try something different. That same horse may well excel at some other class too!
default_yes.gif

Having lots of laughs with this thread
default_biggrin.png

Another that makes my teeth grind is the use of the word "prodigy" (and misspelt "prodegy" at that) instead of "progeny" .... *screams and tears out hair*

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!! Jane - brilliant and also true!

Diane - grammer/grammar - I plead old age!! I also have a laptop that often refuses to print the a,c, and s when I'm typing, which can lead to some pretty odd spellings if I forget to peer and squint at the screen after I have finished my post!

By the way I also have progeny and lots and lots of prodigies.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Guilty of not reading all the posts on this thread so I apoligize if these three have been used.

1.Using "ideal" in a sentence that will read "here is a new ideal" meaning "a new idea".

2.In discussions people use the term "youse" which I guess is the "plural of you".

3. Just yesterday I received an e-mail in response to a horse for sale at our farm. In my description of the horse I pointed out the fact that the mare slightly toes out with her front feet. The person decided then to wait to see her resulting foal in 2011 rather than "buying a mare that was not perfect". It made me wonder how many horses this person had and I would also like to see her stock of "perfect horses".

2.In discussions people use the term "youse" which I guess is the "plural of you".
LOL....In this part of the east coast that term is used a lot. Just like "Yo" to get a person's attention. Example.... "Yo dude!" The "Yous" word (for this area anyway) is part of ...well can you call it culture?

LOL....In this part of the east coast that term is used a lot. Just like "Yo" to get a person's attention. Example.... "Yo dude!" The "Yous" word (for this area anyway) is part of ...well can you call it culture?
Oh my, I thought that was just on TV!
default_laugh.png

My pet peeve is watching people over handle their halter horses.All that foot stomping,chicken dancing makes me wonder who is performing for the ribbon. I think it's distracting when trying to evaluate the horse. I hate the constant yanking on the lead especially on the babies. Seeing them wide eyed,rearing makes me want to put a chain on the handlers nose and give it a good yank.

My pet peeve is watching people over handle their halter horses.All that foot stomping,chicken dancing makes me wonder who is performing for the ribbon. I think it's distracting when trying to evaluate the horse. I hate the constant yanking on the lead especially on the babies. Seeing them wide eyed,rearing makes me want to put a chain on the handlers nose and give it a good yank.
Exactly. Coming from the Stock Horse world, I find it particularly amusing. We just simply TAUGHT the horse to stand and "give" the neck, didn't need to dance and prance in the ring. "Even" the Arabians aren't shown in such a manner, but they are close.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I get annoyed when I see:

Lunge instead of Lounge

Paint instead of Pinto

Stud instead of Stallion. A horse stands at stud, or is housed in a Stud or is used for Stud service.

Filly Colt instead of Filly Foal

The list goes on and on
default_biggrin.png

But I especially get irked when you send off info and photos to someone inquiring about a horse you have for sale and they don't have the common curtesy to let you know they got the info or if they are interested or not once they get the photos. I'd much rather be told thanks but that horse isn't what I'm looking for,instead of just being blown off.

JMO
default_rolleyes.gif

Joy

Lunge instead of Lounge
Actually the correct word is LONGE, though LUNGE is not incorrect either, it depends where you're from apparently, though I never remember which spelling is used where. Longe is the spelling I was taught...LOUNGE is something you do by the pool, or a place you go for drinks...
default_biggrin.png

Actually the correct word is LONGE,
Dang...you beat me to it! Although both lunge and lounge drive me nuts...

Here are two additional scream-inducers:

pregnate instead of pregnant, as in: "My mare is pregnate."

sale used as a verb (when they mean sell), as in: "I may have to sale my horse."

Sale is my favorite screamer. I posted that, but longe is another. Actually its been a long time since I saw longe spelled correctly.

This is long - but
default_biggrin.png

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise

by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,

It came with my PC.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your sure reel glad two no.

Its vary polished in it's weigh.

My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,

It freeze yew lodes of thyme.

It helps me right awl stiles two reed,

And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed too bee a joule.

The checker pours o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's

Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,

We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling

Is checked with such grate flare,

Their are know fault's with in my cite,

Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,

It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den

With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should bee proud,

And wee mussed dew the best wee can,

Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays

Such soft wear four pea seas,

And why eye brake in two averse

Buy righting want too pleas.

Now that is funny....almost spit my coffee onto my keyboard...LOLOLOL Michele

I also hate the word dead...as in dead broke horse for sale ....does this horse have no money or what??

Lunge is correct too, although the original spelling was, in fact, "longe" it was always pronounced "lunge" and it has become accepted as correct.

Lounge was something we called the sitting room!

I also thought of another pet peeve I know is going to hit a few sore spots:

Photoshopped pictures...in ads for sale, in ads on a website, basically, just photoshopped pictures!

I do not care how well it is done, a slight tidy up here and there is OK but when the selling line is "lovely long "hooky" neck" and the picture shows a very small giraffe....well, I move on! I would rather see a pasture picture and have to use my imagination, than be very badly disapointed.

Tell me, exactly what is the point?

Latest posts

Back