Pet Peeves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very bad with grammer, ( but I at least try ! lol) so hope i don't upset anyone !! hahaha

Having Paint (APHA) horses.. it bugs me when people call other breeds "paints" .

when they're pintos! rrggg

I also hate it when people who should know better-call horses by the wrong color, or pronounce color patterns wrong.. I had a PAINT breeder once tell me my gelding was a" Sabi-ano" !! (Sabino) He must have been trying to throw Tobiano in there with the sabino! lol

But then again, this same man also told me there was no way my gelding was a bay (even though he sired a bay foal out of a Sorrel mare before I owned him and he was gelded lol) because his mane showed no black hairs. (check out my pictures..and see how it makes this statement funny ..lol)

I am clueless about the "silver gene" with the miniatures, so I will be reading up and looking for info on it for a long time before I go spouting ANY KIND of info about the gene! lol

Boy, you guys have sure listed my pet peeves when it comes to terminology! The 'by and out of' one is a big pet peeve of mine! Plus, many others mentioned on here. Jill listed some good ones.

Another of mine is someone saying they are going to 'stud out' their stallion (or is that their 'stud'?). Ugh! That's almost like raking fingernails on a chalkboard to me! You can stand your stallion at stud and he might live on a 'stud farm', but the word 'stud' refers to the property the horse lives on, never the horse itself!
default_wink.png

Sorry, but ya'll are wrong on the definition of "stud". It is correct to refer to a stallion as a stud, just as a breeding farm can be referred to as a "stud".

stud [ stud ] (plural studs)

noun

Definition:

1. breeding stallion: a male animal, especially a stallion, used for breeding

4. establishment with stallions: a stable or farm where male animals, especially stallions, are kept for breeding

5. group of stallions: a group of male animals, especially stallions, used for breeding

- the 'out of' a stallion is always a good one. We always joke gee, what a versatile stallion that is if he can pop out foals like a broodmare!

- confirmation, that one is all too common

- applossa or some other variation of misspelled appaloosa. I always figure that if people are raising them, they should know how to spell it

- gilding, ferrier, furrier, bails of hay Sometimes I think maybe they're just typos when someone is writing their post or ad, but then when they repeat the same error over & over you know that it is bad spelling and not just a typo

And the peeves that are non-spelling related:

- someone asks you to show them how to do something or explain how something is done. For instance, trimming feet on a mini....you start to explain, and then realize that the person is gawking around, looking at something else, not paying any attention at all to what you're saying. If they don't really want to know, why do they bother asking in the first place?

ah, I have many more I could write but I'm out of time here for now!

You guys have listed most of mine, but this one always gets me. When people mispronounce the word 'breeches.' I know it looks like it should be said 'breeeeeeeeeeches,' but c'mon...it's pronounced 'britches.' Makes me NUTZ every time.

I agree with all the things mentioned so far. One of the biggies I see a lot of in ads and on websites is the use of the word: INFAMOUS! LOL

"sire is the infamous so and so"

Definition of INFAMOUS

: having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>

: causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>

: convicted of an offense bringing infamy

I agree with all the posts so far as an annoyance or "pet peeve" when someone who should know better, misuses words. The only thing I want to add is that sometimes what we think of as a misuse of terminology is really an "old fashioned" way of speaking. For instance, I have a friend who is well into his 80's, and has been on and around horses since he could walk. Has trained dozens of horses in his lifetime, still works cattle from horseback, and could outride someone half his age any day of the week.
yes.gif
He calls any young horse a "colt"; "breaks" horses to ride; and if it's spotted, it's a "paint". Do you think I'm going to correct him? NO WAY!!
nono.gif
He's forgotten more about horses than I've ever learned.
worshippy.gif

"•On a similar note, incorrectly reporting champion wins regarding AMHR shows. Some people seem confused with age level championships and grand championships."

A very FAMOUS trainer was ticked because his horse didn't win the Grand Champion award had to be TOLD to change his website because he listed it as the "World Grand Chammpion"because he won his size class No, your beautiful horse was "World Champion", not World Grand Champion. So he put "RESV" in very very very time letters!! Whatever! LOL

I recently pounced all over my husband for posting in an ad --- "own son of......"

Well, OF COURSE he'd be. What's a "NON-own or UNknown" son of" ????

I have used "direct son of...." meaning it is his father vs "out of...".which sometimes means its not even on the papers...is this correct..or do I make the list...HA!

I have used "direct son of...." meaning it is his father vs "out of...".which sometimes means its not even on the papers...is this correct..or do I make the list...HA!

Ive also used direct son of Because I have a son of King Supreme which is pretty rare as I dont know of anyone who else has one besides Little King Farm. And Im very honered to have him.

With the miss spelling, I still mispell a few words here and there BUT I also have a mini webster dicitonary right beside my keyboard at all times!

With all the comments about spelling and grammer I remembered a post I read a few years ago. The person was unhappy and said she had been balling all day. Ooooooookay Just a little too much information for me.

I agree with so many of these, and I've thought of more! Man, this thread is wonderful therapy.
default_yes.gif
Maybe they're all honest mistakes, but sometimes I think color breeders are intentionally misleading potential buyers when they sell a solid horse and say, "It has pinto breeding, so it should produce color." I've met a lot of really disappointed newbies that have fallen for that one.

I also get irked by window shoppers that have clearly inquired about so many ads that they can no longer remember the horses. They'll send a short email, and when I reply they then proceed to ask questions that are all answered in the original ad. I even had one guy inquire about the same horse through three different sites - in the same day!

You guys have listed most of mine, but this one always gets me. When people mispronounce the word 'breeches.' I know it looks like it should be said 'breeeeeeeeeeches,' but c'mon...it's pronounced 'britches.' Makes me NUTZ every time.
The root word of breeches is breech, so it is also correct to pronounce them "breeeeeches." I think "britches" is a regional thing.

With all the comments about spelling and grammer I remembered a post I read a few years ago. The person was unhappy and said she had been balling all day. Ooooooookay Just a little too much information for me.
I was laughing already and then I read this last post!
default_smile.png

Matt I certainly hope you don't put too much credance in the "clean house" means a well run horse business!! I personally would much rather clean stalls than my house! And since I also like to spend lots of time with my minis the house often gets back-burnered!! I hate it sooooo much that now I have someone else come do it!
default_smile.png

Jill: I train my minis to lead from both sides. So I don't really have a "wrong" side to lead from!
default_smile.png

My pet peeves are:

1.Calling Pinto minis "Paints".

2.Calling bay pintos "tricolored"....isn't that a dog term?

3.Always being asked "what do you do with them?" Though I always enlighten people!
default_smile.png

4.People who've been in contact with you multiple times regarding sale horses and then just not hearing from them again after you've taken more pictures etc. I always let people know if I'm interested or not and don't just leave them hanging!

5.People who tell me my horses are too expensive "I can get one from Craig's list for $200! You just go right ahead and do that.

Oh I'm sure I have more but you all have covered them soooo well. Still laughing about "balling all day"
default_smile.png

Over my many years, I have collected many pet peeves. The older I get, the more pet peeves I have.

I'd tell you what they are, but I seem to have forgotten...
wacko.gif

...another "benefit" of being old.

I forgot "overo" and "tovero"!!!

Mean nothing, pointless terms, it takes a minute to describe the pattern, and that means so much more.

And I am afraid I pronounce "breeches" as breeches", this is an International board, you know?

I also call breeching, "breeching" not britching.

And my dog is not out of a beech
default_new_rofl.gif

As a writer and editor, I am constantly gritting my teeth over misspelling, bad grammar, and poor word usage (to too, lose loose, there their, etc.),

but...

I am very bad with grammer, ( but I at least try !
This is really all I ask -- that people care enough to make the effort. And I completely understand dyslexia and other learning challenges. I'd hate to see anyone hesitate to ask a question or share their knowledge out of self-consciousness.

My late sister was hopeless at spelling. While she had her master's degree, was a published author, and was extremely intellectual, spelling was just her Achilles heel.* However, she kept a dictionary at her side and used spellcheck religiously, so few people ever knew.

As long as someone makes an effort, I can overlook just about anything. My problem is with those who insist grammar doesn't matter, and that I'm wrong for caring.

*This term, Achilles heel, should technically be Achilles' heel, but common usage leaves out the apostrophe. Just the sort of minutiae that haunts my warped brain...

Last edited by a moderator:
>>Always being asked "what do you do with them?" Though I always enlighten people!<<

This is mine. I've started asking people: Do you have a dog? a cat? what do YOU *do* with them?

I say it with humor (most of the time), and then go on to explain that we plan to train them to do tricks and pull a cart. And love them.And spoil them. And just be thrilled they're here
default_smile.png

What really aggravates me is when people email asking questions or for pictures and I send multiple pictures and information and they will never acknowledge receiving them. Many times I will email again asking if they received the info, and still no response. How hard is it to say, "Thank you, but I don't think that is what I am looking for."?

I agree 100%!!!! I was thinking about this and hadn't come up with any real "stand-out" pet peeves until I read this and I agree... It is VERY frusterating to take time out and send a ton of pictures from ever such angle and e-mail a ton of info and answer questions and never even hear back if they got it or not -- always makes me wonder if it is lost in cyber space OR if I e-mail and ask if they received it will I seem to pushy...

This type of thread has appeared about once a year for about as long as I can remember. I don't have many pet peeves, but, there has been many things said here over the years that I have actually learned from, so it has been more than just "venting".

What we too have to remember is region, what part of the country you are residing. I lived in Indiana for 52 years, I finally have it all figured out. I know what the old time farmers are referring to when they ask how all my new colts are doing. I moved to TN 4 months ago, and NOW these older farmers have yet different names for foals, fillies, colts, paint and pinto. So, I just tell them my mare had a baby and it is red and white.
default_smile.png

I am the opposite, it annoys me to no end when people say "britches" and "britching," but as others have said, both are acceptable pronunciations of the word.

I am another one who is irked by the consistent misuse word (loose, lose, etc.). I understand the occasional spelling error or typo, I certainly make my fair share of them!

I also can't stand trying to decipher posts that are one long sentence with no punctuation or capitalization whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back