Pessoa Training Aids

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Keely made one of these for her minis, can someone PM her and ask for photos/instructions?

Leia

I'm wondering if what I already do with sliding side reins and long lines is a better system or is this something to incorporate into the current program.
This depends on what kind of issues you are having with a horse. If the horse is showing little topline development, then this system would be a great thing to ease the horse into using as it gets them to round up their back and start tracking correctly (dressage). If you are planning to do any kind of ADS style driving or looking to improve your dressage work with a seasoned CDE pony, then yes this system would come in handy at times. It is not something I use everyday, that is not its intension, but it is a great tool to help your horse get the idea of traveling from back to front.

Just read Matt's comments. So true. So many people look for collection in the head without watching the feet. If the horse is engaged and tracking up properly, the head set comes naturally.This all comes more from a dressage POV than the breed ring.

Thoughts ?
This is all from a dressage perspective, but many driving trainers, even in the breed ring, like to teach the horse to lift their front end and push up under themselves with their hindend. It creates a very pleasure picture because the horse looks powerful and is moving his shoulder's freely with lots of lift in the front....however this takes YEARS in the dressage ring, and very very very few horses are conformationally able to really lift their front ends like that (think of a plane taking off and how the nose of the plane leaves the ground first). SO, this system will by no means turn a horse into something that it is not, but it will definitely help build the correct muscles for traveling in a dressage type frame. I am happy with it.
default_thumbup.gif

Courtney

Bump.

More info appreciated on this subject.

I wouldn't want to start using this type of system until I get as much information as I can on its use or misuse.

I always used it on my eventers, but didn't know they made them in mini size. I would also love the info on where to get one for minis.

I have no idea where or if you can get one in Miniature size. I made mine from parts of harness and things I picked up at the hardware store. I really don't suggest using one unless you know how it works and how it goes together and whether or not it is even necessary for your horse. This is not something that can be learned via the forum. Like most training equipment it can be harmful, useful or even dangerous depending on how it is used. Find a trainer near you that is willing to help you hands on with your horse. If you have used one previously you should easily be able to set one up with nylon rope and hardware purchased separately.

AHHH very cool, thanks for the link!

Courtney

OK I am ridiculously pleased with myself!!

It has taken THREE hours (hope it is worth it) and just before I kicked the thing out of the window it stopped saving everything to Microsoft Office and behaved!!!

pessoa01-09.jpg

Well, almost, I had rotated this in photobucket but it appears to have unrotated itself and I am just NOT up to arguing.

I hope someone can turn it for me???

This is what I used on Victor (Welsh Cob) with enormous success, I shall not try to explain it, please...it is easier if you just ask questions, should you wish to!!

To explain, B is a ring at the poll similar to a side check ring.

The solid red line is one setting, making it a Chambon derivative.

The dotted lines are different settings.

Obviously I do not recommend the chambon setting for an inexperienced person!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Use it LOVE IT. I also made mine. I was introduce to it at a driving seminar (large horse) also a friend used in on her mini mare with WONDERFUL results. The biggest thing I find is the ability of the rig to give consistent ques.

And also as far a FIXED rigs you can FIX your hands and get the same results. NOT GOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back