Personality?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Halo is almost 2 yrs. old, will turn two in the middle of June. Do they pretty much show their adult personality at this age? I mean, if they are fairly easy going, and social now, will they tend to stay that way? I am sure the social part, depends on how much human contact she gets, which is several times a day, even when I'm not there. Just curious on when they come into their own, personality wise?

I'm not sure, I've seen older horses change "personality" when in a different culture or training/handling but broadly speaking, once a horse hits puberty you can tell more or less what they are like.

The most dramatic change I'd seen was with a five year old Percheron from the Amish. He was skittish, impossible to catch, and very goosey. After a year or two of constant handling and desensitization, the horse was friendly and could be handled by a kid.

I think as humans we want to anthropomorphise horses as much as possible, too...

I have seen flighty, hot youngsters get calmer as they age but (traumatic situations aside - or an improvement in health if they have been sickly/starved) I have never seen a laid back youngster become hot.

That would be good...Halo is pretty mellow. She has her moments of wanting her own way or not really liking what is being asked of her, but she hasn't acted out super bad. She did flip her head at me when I was doing a "move her feet" lesson. But she did what she was told and that was after we had done it for a bit too long, I think, for her age. I couldn't catch her, so it ended up going longer than planned. Finally she came up to me and I was able to put the lead on her.

Good Luck!!!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of my horses have been more laid back as 2yo's, and more compliant, than as adults.

Lots of my horses have been more laid back as 2yo's, and more compliant, than as adults.
This has not been my experience, in saddle horses and in the minis I have found that they mellow as they age assuming they are handled consistently through out and have been fed/cared for well from the start.

Well, it sounds like only time will tell, but I am hoping for Reignmakers experience. With being new to all of this...horses in general, and I am still learning, I am praying Halo doesn't turn hot. That would possibly freak me out. LOL

I've got hyper, I've got cranky, I've got lovey dovey, and I've got braindead.

I have one mini, and that is all it is going to be for now, and may be forever, unless we would move to a place I could have her with me, then I would get another one. So I guess I feel I have one chance at this and I want it to all work out, nicely. May be I am hoping for too much. LOL

It's fun to do some reading on horse personalities. I think it is important to understand, as each needs different handling. I like Linda Tellington Jones' TTouch book.

I think they are born with their personalities. They will respond to life as they are hard-wired to. It is up to us to figure out how each horse needs to be handled. There are quite a few books on horse personalities; many people have studied horses and share what they have observed.

I still have my first miniature and we have learned a lot from each other. Every horse I've had has taught me something. We never stop learning.

There are definitely different horse personalities, I haven't read the book Marsha mentioned (would love to!), but in my experience there are some personalities that work well with my personality, environment, and way of doing things, and others that don't fit as well. I think if you've had her for more than 6 months and are still reall enjoying her & her personality then it should only get better going into the future as she ages. I think it's partly that horses seem to mellow as they age, but also in my experience it's also the trust relationship builds between you and the horse and they are less reactive & more willing to work for you or with you.

I have a 2 year old here that I kept (he was born here), and he is definitely feeling his spring hormones and a little hot, but that is to be expected of a young stallion! But he can also be sweet and loves to be hugged. He is much more trusting & more confident as he is maturing, but still testing the boundries of what is allowed and what is not.

On the 9th, it will be one month, that I have had her. So, I guess only time will tell on her personality.

My Mini Gal, I don't think you're hoping for too much. No matter what her personality is, if you are patient, consistent, and dedicated to making things work (as you certainly sound like you are!) you will have beautiful, lifetime partnership.

I always describe Max as "sensitive". He isn't a snuggly, in your pocket horse, and he isn't a mellow, do whatever you want to me and I'll fall asleep horse. He used to be hard to catch. His basic nature is to be reactive and somewhat more hot, even as an 18 year old. My daughter and I have to take that into account, and take some things more slowly and carefully. And yet his personality also makes him smart, careful to read and respond to cues, and he has a strong work ethic. Once he learns things are okay, he accepts them calmly, which has made him great at everything he does, from pony rides to driving obstacles. I've owned and worked with other horses with different personalities. Just like people, you love them for who they are, and work with their strengths and shortcomings.

All of this is just to say that no matter what her basic personality turns out to be, I don't think you should worry about it too much. Even a hot or sensitive horse doesn't have to be a "nutcase" or badly behaved. And just because a horse has a mellow personality doesn't mean that they will be free of annoying or dangerous behaviors. So much has to do with how we consistently handle them.

You have a great adventure ahead of you! Best of Luck!

Thank you...I look forward to her and I becoming super close, no matter what her personality is.

Latest posts

Back