perlino or cremello??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We have 2 boys that we need to send in paperwork & register. I would have sworn that when both were born that they were perlino (the main & tail were slightly darker). Now, I'm not sure. What is the best way to tell? Is there a color test for this?

Janis

The surest way to tell is to test. However, my mares/filly that I think are perlino had darker manes/tails at birth than they do now. I think as they mature, it can be very hard to tell perlino from cremello by looking but if they're manes/tails were darker initially, my hunch is perlino
default_yes.gif

Thanks Jill,

Our stallion is a silver buckskin and passes on the silver gene alot. How would this affect the perlino/cremello color? Should I have him tested for that too?

Also, do you have the website so I can order the forms, etc.?

Thanks!!!

Janis

Silver will not affect CrCr at all- whether it is Perlino or Cremello.

It is impossible to tell any of these colours apart and there only way to tell is to test

If the parentage makes it impossible, however, it would be safe to assume Cremello- iePal X Pal could not produce Perlino.

The silver would not effect the appearance of the perlino or cremello horses BUT they could pass it on -- for example, if they carry it, they may produce silver buckskin offspring.

With my three (presumably) perlino girls, they are all out of buckskin dams and by buckskin stallions, plus had darker m/t as foals.

Here's a site where you can have testing done: http://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill/Jane:

This is probably a stupid question...but that's never stopped me before!
default_rolleyes.gif
Is the difference between perlino and cremello that one is a black-based horse with 2 dilute genes and the other is a red-based horse with 2 dilute genes? Is palomino a red-based horse with 1 dilute gene and a buckskin is a black-based horse with 1 dilute gene?

Thanks!

I think perlino is double cream on bay (agouti?), cremello is double cream on red, and smoky cream is double cream on black
default_smile.png

Also, buckskin is cream on bay. Cream on black is smoky black.

Here's a chart that shows how it goes: http://www.animalgenetics.us/Cream.htm

Ok, now another thing that makes me think that they are both perlino is both sires & dams are buckskin or silver/cream buckskin. Am I right to think that buckskin X buckskin wll produce perlino?

I think that's more likely, but I know buckskin x buckskin can produce sorrel. I don't really "get" it all (at all)! Maybe Jane or Dona or someone will see and know better than I do about buckskins carrying red.

Ok, now another thing that makes me think that they are both perlino is both sires & dams are buckskin or silver/cream buckskin. Am I right to think that buckskin X buckskin wll produce perlino?
No, like a bay x bay can also produce black and chestnut, buckskin x buckskin can produce cremello´s perlino and don´t forget about smokey creams, (double dilute blacks).

Offcourse if you only think about the double dilutes, they can also produce non dilutes and single dilutes.

Only way to know for sure is testing.

OH, I GET SO CONFUSED
default_wacko.png

Thanks everyone - I'll send in the tests to be sure.

Janis

Latest posts

Back