People who enjoy reading

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
With winter fast approaching, it's the perfect time to snuggle under a blanket with a good book to read. I already spend a good amount of time reading, but with it getting darker earlier, that buys me more time. Lol. I read just about anything (except for sci-fy), although I'm going through a big Young Adult phase right now.

So who else is looking forward to reading more during the winter, and what will you most likely be reading?

There is almost nothing I like more than curling up with a good book in the winter! I believe the new Janet Evanovich book comes out in November (her Stephanie Plum series). They aren't very long, and kind of get predictable (I think this is number 18 or something like that) but I love to read anything that can make me laugh out loud!

I enjoy Karen Robards and just read her latest book (a supernatural element to it). It had some good twists to it and I really enjoyed it. She's making a series based on these characters and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions!

Barbara

My problem is: I'm retired and can do pretty much what I want. I get to reading and can't stop until I'm done. When I finish one I immediately start another. I've been known to read 3 books in a day. I am a very fast reader. I read so many I get the characters mixed up from one book to the next. LOL. I love mysteries and thrillers. Detective and crime stories. I do look forward to get back into it as I haven't done much this summer. Looking forward to snowy winter days when I can curl up with Daisy and a good book. BTW I read 99 % of my reading on my kindle fire.

If you enjoy young adult fiction, you might enjoy the "Canterwood Crest" series. It's all about teenage girls and horses.

I'm rereading some of the Agatha Christie mysteries at the moment and that's fun and I'm always reading non-fiction as well.

Well, I've read about 40 books since May. I did read 50 Shades of Grey to see what the hype was. Yuck. An awful love story and I couldn't stand the two main characters. I think it's the first time I haven't finished a series.

I like to reread the classics in the winter when I'm stuck inside, they always make me happy (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, Forever Amber, etc).

I "read" a lot, but all unabridged audio when it comes to pleasure reading. It's one of my favorite things to do
default_smile.png
I go through 2-4 books a month, sometimes more, never less!

For "lighter" paranomal fiction, I really like Molly Harper's books, especially the Jane Jamison ones. I enjoyed MaryJanice Davidson's "Betsy" books up until the 2nd to the last one when I quit (never quit a series before, but this one felt like it jumped the shark). Charlaine Harris, of course. Rowland's "White Trash" zombie books are really cool, too (not "horror", which I also love), and Jesse Peterson's zombie books are good, too (closer to horror movie type, but still "light" in many ways).

For like "horror movie" style books, Mark Tufo's "Zombie Fallout" are so good and he has a new one out! I also liked Z.A. Recht's 3 part series about the Morningstar Strain (zombies).

I've read all but Kathy Reichs most recent "Bones" book and all of Patricia Cornwell's (with a new one due next month, I think). Really like those a lot.

Love Evanovich and waiting on her new one next month. Her Deisel series is good, too! Going to read J.D. Robb's (a/k/a Nora Robert's) detective books when I get to them (have them, but not listened yet). Hoping they're good.

Right now, I'm reading She's Come Undone, which is probably 20yrs old, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Planning to read two Mark Childress books next, One Mississippi and Georgia Bottoms. Kind of the same vein would be Jonathan (sp) Tropper's books, which are good, funny, and emotional. Good one to start on from him is This Is Where I Leave You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I too read very quickly and as soon as I'm done with one book, I immediately grab another. I have over 700 books, and another few hundred on my wishlist. A Kindle sure would come in handy (and save room), but I just love the feel of a paperback in my hands.
default_smile.png

I recently read the 'Shades' trilogy, and while I did like the story, by the third book I started to get mad at the characters - his control issues and her lack of a backbone. :/

Jill thanks to a prior conversation we had, I have alot of zombie books on my Christmas wishlist. Oh yeah!

Just a side note, The Walking Dead starts back up this Sunday ;)

I'm a John Grisham fan... his latest in paperback, The Litigators, is good as always. I read a lot of mysteries, etc but I try to interject something of substance in there every now and then LOL. Currently reading The Kennedy Women, something I got for Christmas last year. It's a long read but much more interesting than I thought it would be and explains the history of the Kennedy family and JFK.

Jan

I like to read too...haven't read much this summer as we are always on the go. I go through spells where I will read 5-6 books in a few days then not read for a month. I like just about anything except romance. I had a kindle and I did like it but gave it to my sister. I too like the feel of a book better instead of the kindle.

I am reading James Patterson's book, Zoo right now as well as a book called Zoobiquity. Next on my list is the new Jack Reacher book by Lee Child.

I'm about halfway through Mark Childress' One Mississippi, and so far, it is REALLY good! He's such a fine writer! Glad I'm working from the office tomorrow, because it will give me an "extra" two ours to "read" (audio book).

I love to read, especially Grisham, the Lonesome Dove series is my favorite. I overdosed on Clive Custler and now into Elm Creek Quilting books by Jennifer Chiaverini. Has anyone read A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson and Winterdance by Gary Paulen? Both make me laugh until I cry everytime I re-read them.

If you haven't read West With The Night, and enjoy a really well crafted book, don't miss it. It's an old book but a classic and one of the few I pull out and re read every so often. It's by Beryl Markham and is her true story - a woman bush pilot in the early days of flying. Helps that her father also had race horses and some of that is in the book.
default_smile.png

Jan

I know you said no sci-fi but "Host" by Stephanie Myers is amazing. I was NOT a fan of her vampire series but the Host is amazing. You get to know the characters so well that you don't need to be told who is talking. You just know by the way something is said. I don't read sci-fi either but this book is a must.

Right before the Host was released, they had a sample chapter online. I tried to read it but it just didn't seem "good" to me. I guess I'll have to give it another try now that the whole book is out.

I'm addicted to J.D. Robbs In Death series...Love-Love -Love them! Eve Dallas is a cop in the future and her husband Roarke a Gadzillionair who used to be a criminal...just really like all the regulars in each book.

I'm addicted to J.D. Robbs In Death series...Love-Love -Love them! Eve Dallas is a cop in the future and her husband Roarke a Gadzillionair who used to be a criminal...just really like all the regulars in each book.
Debby, I'm looking forward to these! I haven't listened to any of them yet but have the collection (40 or so?). I heard good things about these books and love a series! Get so attached to the characters
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back